TITAN PLUS

magellan

Honorary Aussie
interesting points, here are some alternative interpretations :)

Lumintop has no problem machining the Copper Tool, Copper Worm, Copper Prometheus Beat, and Copper Maratac

imo storing heat is not a benefit when trying to move heat away from the LED. Stainless and Titanium have similar heat insulating properties.

imo Surefire chose brass because it is not going to get as warm as aluminum, when using the 300lumen mode.
Basically, they used a material with lower heat conductivity, and higher mass, which I think is intended to keep the light feeling cool in the users hand. But it accomplishes by storing heat, as you said, instead of dissipating it.

I suspect similar heat insulation motivation by Olight, in the 180 Lumen Brass i3s. That is a raw brass light, and as such exposes the user to Lead.

The Titan Plus has a Nickel plating that isolates the brass away from contact with the user.

Interesting points there. On the Olight i3s EOS I just bought several and I noticed that on high it heats up pretty fast, faster than I was expecting. I also EDC a Maratac stainless AAA and at the high of 120 lumens it doesn't heat up nearly as fast as the brass i3s. Of course the Olight has 1/3 more lumens on high but the i3s still heats up faster than I was expecting, so there might be something to your idea of the brass storing heat. Just my subjective impression but I use a lot of different copper, brass, and stainless lights.

BTW, speaking of heat, the heat equation is very interesting. To quote the Wikipedia article:

"The heat equation is of fundamental importance in diverse scientific fields. In mathematics, it is the prototypical parabolic partial differential equation. In probability theory, the heat equation is connected with the study of Brownian motion via the Fokker–Planck equation. In financial mathematics it is used to solve the Black–Scholes partial differential equation. The diffusion equation, a more general version of the heat equation, arises in connection with the study of chemical diffusion and other related processes."

Last edited:

neonsteve

Newly Enlightened
I've read of a few instances where a user can get the Titan Plus to go from low to high, skipping medium. I've figured out how to do this reliablly:

Turn on low for 2 seconds, turn off for 2 seconds, then turn on and the light will turn on in high mode rather than medium or low again.

So the cadence is like this: ON (low) one thousand one, one thousand two, OFF one thousand one, one thousand two, ON (high).

Regarding other mode switching issues, only a few times has the light started in medium mode rather than low mode. It happens maybe once every couple of months so maybe it's just play in the switch.

I also get medium mode multiple times if trying to switch to high too quickly.

I also noticed how all modes are dimmer for a while if using high too long. This has been noted by other users saying that their low goes into a low low mode. I think it's actually that high goes to medium, medium goes to low, and low goes to a lower than normal setting. Or just simply say that every mode is lower than normal until the battery can refresh itself.

I only use the Eneloop Pro in my Plus, and all these mode idiosyncrasies occur on a fully charged battery.

That being said this light has been my EDC for the last 6 months or so. My oring is centered but the LED is not, however the beam is excellent. The tint is excellent also.

Last edited by a moderator:

archimedes

Flashaholic
I've read of a few instances where a user can get the Titan Plus to go from low to high, skipping medium. I've figured out how to do this reliablly:

Turn on low for 2 seconds, turn off for 2 seconds, then turn on and the light will turn on in high mode rather than medium or low again.

So the cadence is like this: ON (low) one thousand one, one thousand two, OFF one thousand one, one thousand two, ON (high).

Yep

I also get medium mode multiple times if trying to switch to high too quickly.

Yep

.... This has been noted by other users saying that their low goes into a low low mode. I think it's actually that high goes to medium, medium goes to low, and low goes to a lower than normal setting. Or just simply say that every mode is lower than normal until the battery can refresh itself....

Nope, I don't think so

Ok, I can now get into moonlight mode (sort of) regularly.

Definitely works with a full battery. In fact, it almost seems easier to do with a full battery.

Shift to high and run for a count to ten ( ~10 seconds ) , then turn off for a count to five ( ~ 5 seconds ) , then turn back on to LL mode.

It's not really moonlight, since I'm guessing it's a few lumens.

The timing on the high mode run is less critical, and seems to just be anything more than about ten seconds. The timing for the "off" to shift is more tricky. I've been trying to narrow that down, but sometimes it just doesn't seem to go, despite what should be about right.

It is quite definitely a different "lower low" mode. A bit tricky to get into, but when cycled out of that mode, it goes right back into the "standard" modes. And all other modes are apparently unchanged ....

Last edited:

neonsteve

Newly Enlightened
It is quite definitely a different "lower low" mode. A bit tricky to get into, but when cycled out of that mode, it goes right back into the "standard" modes. And all other modes are apparently unchanged ....
Okay, got it. I am able to reproduce this also by following your instructions. Turn on high for 12 seconds, turn off for 4 seconds, turn on and the light turns on in a lower low mode which is about 1/3 the brightness of the normal low mode. So I'm guessing around 5 lumens rather than 15 lumens. If I promptly continue cycling modes then the next mode is medium. If I wait more than a couple seconds then the next mode is normal low. I have serial number A00622

neonsteve

Newly Enlightened
To get to low low (LL) mode, I got the sequence down to 4 and 2 seconds but only after I was doing it repeatedly and the light was warming up a little. Battery voltage was 1.20 after I finished. Turn Titan Plus on high for 4 seconds, then off for 2 seconds and light enters LL mode or moonlight mode. In the beginning of the test it seemed like I needed to leave it on high longer (I started by successfully using 12 and 4 seconds then successfully reducing both times by a second until I got down to 4 and 2 seconds) but I need to do more testing, finding the shortest most reliable method of enabling LL mode in different battery states.

It's cool in a way to have this mode available, but having to turn the flashlight on high wastes a lot of battery when you might be trying to conserve battery by using LL mode. Doesn't make much sense so I doubt it's a feature that was designed into the flashlight.

FollowGAAP

Newly Enlightened
I chopped the tail. My Titan Plus can tailstand now. In return, I am now deprived of the anodising on the rear cap. I am not planning to use my quick-detach tailcap with ring but I can, if I wish.

QaLQ9f.jpg

sVv0Rt.jpg

6M1RXe.jpg

How did you remove the keyring? I was going to start filing mine down. Any tips?

FollowGAAP

Newly Enlightened
Which batteries reform the best in your Surefire Titan Plus? I ordered the Panasonic 900MH. I figured those should be good enough.

I am interested to hear which batteries you feel perform the best.

bartko09

Enlightened
Made custom solid copper light engines for both versions of Titans. Seems to help pull the heat away from the LED much more efficiently (as planned).

topmaytar

Newly Enlightened
Which batteries reform the best in your Surefire Titan Plus? I ordered the Panasonic 900MH. I figured those should be good enough.

I have been using the eloop pro that came with the light and it seems to hold up well under my usage. I use this Titan a few times every night for the past 2 months and it's still going strong.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Made custom solid copper light engines for both versions of Titans. Seems to help pull the heat away from the LED much more efficiently (as planned).

nice copper work,

imo the body of the lights is the limiting factor, since the body surrounds the light engines, and both the Brass and Aluminum bodies conduct less heat than Copper.. and fwiw, aluminum conducts heat much better than Brass
(contrary to popular belief about Brass being a good conductor, it actually is not)

Bucur

Enlightened
How did you remove the keyring? I was going to start filing mine down. Any tips?

I removed it with a lathe. Filing would do but the outcome would not be as fine.

I did not compare other batteries with Eneloop Pro. However, I did compare 5 new Eneloop Pro's with each other. One of them was the stock Titan Plus battery. I discharged them @ .2A with MH-C9000, first. At the end of the initial break-in cycle, their capacities were 934, 954, 957, 944 and 955 mAh. I discharged them again @.2A. Then, I refreshed them @.4A and analysed @.2A. Their capacities turned out to be 961, 945, 952, 940 and 950 mAh. IMO, these are spectacular results. I will not pay for other batteries just for comparing with them. Their capacities will be lower under the high current loads that the Titan Plus taxes them with but I am confident that they will outperform their rivals, anyway.

Sorry for the late reply. My notification e-mail came only yesterday!

reedix

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone received a Titan Plus that was packaged without the plastic/polymer quick detach tailcap? Mine did not have this. Instead, it just had the ring installed.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Titan Plus arrived yesterday. SF has a little Christmas sale, and since I always wanted one of these, I ordered one. I really like it so far. I am impressed with how bright it is, for such a small little light.

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Titan Plus arrived yesterday. SF has a little Christmas sale, and since I always wanted one of these, I ordered one. I really like it so far. I am impressed with how bright it is, for such a small little light.

Wow that's actually quite the deal! Even better than Amazon right now.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using the Eneloop Pro that came with it with good success.

That is what I am using as well.

I really dig this little light. It comes in handy in dark restaurants, when my friend forgets her "cheater" glasses.
:D

j0sh

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone received a Titan Plus that was packaged without the plastic/polymer quick detach tailcap? Mine did not have this. Instead, it just had the ring installed.

Mine was the same. I contacted surefire and they stated that the clips were wearing out fast and that several people even lost their lights so they discontinued the quick detach clip with the Titan Plus.