Used my E1e tonight

SIGINT-228

Newly Enlightened
I already have an E2E; now you just made me want to get an E1e.

Thanks a lot!

SIGINT

recDNA

Flashaholic
They really are nice. I keep buying and selling them because I never actually carry one. Just live them around the house.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was never a fan of the E1e as an incandescent flashlight. I bought one very early on, and was disappointed (low output for size and too pricey), so returned it...then the KL1 LED heads were introduced, and I was hooked. Used to EDC the KL1 version for years, but no longer--other, smaller/brighter/more versatile lights these days. Still EDC the E2e incandescent though.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Surefire could get well overnight if they started making e1e and e2e incandescent flashlights again.

My main EDC Squeeze is either an E2e with Tad's 3718 bulb or a Prometheus Alpha RM. I'm looking for a E1e for the rotation and I'll run a 3712 Tad bulb in it.

I've been considering selling the Alpha. It's a great light, uncompromised craftsmanship. But with 16650's and 16340's there isn't a huge advantage to LED's, not to me. I use my lights for working on stuff and color-rendering is a big deal to me. Max lumens just isn't. Also, it's pretty incredible how many lumens it takes an LED to throw as far as a much weaker incan. It's harder to get that nice flood without a diffuser, but the LED lights have been quickly losing their appeal to me since I just don't need a super bright light 90% of the time.

But even then, I'm covered for super bright with my M6, LF bulb and 3x16650 setup. Randy Johnson can't throw anything past my M6.

I even replaced my weapon light with an incan. And Keeppower 16650's arent that expensive, either. It's almost impossible to beat the E1/E2 on EDC size. And on BEASTMODE the M6 is also an excellent size. I feel like my bases are covered and thank God daily for cheap bulbs from Tad and rechargeable batteries from Keeppower.

Everyone has an application. In mine, I think incans just rule the roost. And there is a lot of incan support right now.

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
My main EDC Squeeze is either an E2e with Tad's 3718 bulb or a Prometheus Alpha RM. I'm looking for a E1e for the rotation and I'll run a 3712 Tad bulb in it.

I've been considering selling the Alpha. It's a great light, uncompromised craftsmanship. But with 16650's and 16340's there isn't a huge advantage to LED's, not to me. I use my lights for working on stuff and color-rendering is a big deal to me. Max lumens just isn't. Also, it's pretty incredible how many lumens it takes an LED to throw as far as a much weaker incan. It's harder to get that nice flood without a diffuser, but the LED lights have been quickly losing their appeal to me since I just don't need a super bright light 90% of the time.

But even then, I'm covered for super bright with my M6, LF bulb and 3x16650 setup. Randy Johnson can't throw anything past my M6.

I even replaced my weapon light with an incan. And Keeppower 16650's arent that expensive, either. It's almost impossible to beat the E1/E2 on EDC size. And on BEASTMODE the M6 is also an excellent size. I feel like my bases are covered and thank God daily for cheap bulbs from Tad and rechargeable batteries from Keeppower.

Everyone has an application. In mine, I think incans just rule the roost. And there is a lot of incan support right now.
Excellent comment.

I have plenty of LED lights and they have thier place, mainly in the runtime portion. However, I find myself carrying incans as well. A2 with tads 3712 bulb and an E1E with mn01 or tads 3712. I find the mn01 plenty for its use. More like 30 lumens to me and throws well. Plus the size can't be beat. KL1 makes it loose it's appeal to me personally because of added size. In fact I used my e1e last night during a run where it was really foggy. My led headlamp washed out the path but the e1e with the f04 allowed me to see the path. Surefire could have kept the executive platform and still used good leds in neutral or warm. Yeah still not the same as an incan but the size could have remained small. Everyone knows they aren't the same company they used to be.

Yeah, vintage Surefires are really incredible lights. The LED models don't have the same appeal. But honestly, I just love that warm incan light so much. It's comforting in the dark for some inexplicable, primal reason that speaks to a part of my brain that likes fire and sharpened wood poles and meat off the bone.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been away, moved from Sunshine state north, renting tiny house in the woods more or less ever since last post. Except for carrying backup on keychain, I have gone full incan, full E. Nothing compares.

Illum, we had a couple PM's regarding a sale you had some time ago, where I speculated you still had some E stuff... that i wanted if you were to sell. What you describe here I WANT. So please remember me if you ever decide to sell, as first in, first dibs, whathaveyou.

Regardless, c'mon, post some pics of that beauty. Thanks.

Me too! Full incan. 2xE2e w/LF bulbs and 16650's, E1e w/Tad bi-pin and 3712 bulb and 16340, 6P w/P60, M951 w/P60, 1xM6 w/LF 700lm bulb and 3x16650

I went a bit excessive and I have yet to actually make good use of my M6. Only LED lights I have left are Fenix head lamps. I'd prefer an incan there too, though.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me too! Full incan. 2xE2e w/LF bulbs and 16650's, E1e w/Tad bi-pin and 3712 bulb and 16340, 6P w/P60, M951 w/P60, 1xM6 w/LF 700lm bulb and 3x16650

I went a bit excessive and I have yet to actually make good use of my M6. Only LED lights I have left are Fenix head lamps. I'd prefer an incan there too, though.

What's your impression of the Tad bi-pin and 3712 bulb run on a 16340 in your E1e. Any idea of run time and how's the beam?
I'm guessing half an hour or less run time?

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still carry my stock E2e in an everyday "gadget" bag. It used to be paired with an E1e with a KL1 head. I prefer incandescent outdoors, so I still carry the E2e, but the E1e has been replaced with the Nitecore TIP. The E series of SF lights represented the optimum size for me, and I was always hoping SF would come out with an E3e for added output.

Tell me about it! I wish that's the light they had released above all else they never released. And with the MN04 lamp assembly, and it could have been run on rechargeables.

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was never a fan of the E1e as an incandescent flashlight. I bought one very early on, and was disappointed (low output, size and price), so returned it...then the KL1 LED heads were introduced, and I was hooked. Used to EDC the KL1 version for years, but no longer--other, smaller/brighter/more versatile lights these days. Still EDC the E2e incandescent though.

IMO the E1e output is not very good. I never even bothered with it even back in the late 90's and early 2000's when I first got into Surefires. There's no reason not to go with the two cell version.

Last edited:
What's your impression of the Tad bi-pin and 3712 bulb run on a 16340 in your E1e. Any idea of run time and how's the beam?
I'm guessing half an hour or less run time?

The 3712 performance is excellent for my uses. I haven't had it in long enough yet to say about run time. One week on a full charge and no dimming. I don't necessarily have to use lights very often so even 30 minutes of run time would last quite a while.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3712 performance is excellent for my uses. I haven't had it in long enough yet to say about run time. One week on a full charge and no dimming. I don't necessarily have to use lights very often so even 30 minutes of run time would last quite a while.

They sound good.
I've been using a bulb from an E2E in an E1 lego on a 16340 (probably not the best for the bulb running it under driven but it works fine) so I wouldn't mind trying the Tad set up and the 3712 looks like the top choice for me running on 16340/16650 in E1/E2 format.

They sound good.
I've been using a bulb from an E2E in an E1 lego on a 16340 (probably not the best for the bulb running it under driven but it works fine) so I wouldn't mind trying the Tad set up and the 3712 looks like the top choice for me running on 16340/16650 in E1/E2 format.

The 3712 has a real tight hot spot like the stock bulbs do. The 3718 I was using before was definitely brighter, but the hot spot was much larger for some reason. The 3712 is my favorite so far. I do want to try the 7212 in an E2e though.

I've had 0 problems with the Tad product. Tad's a good guy too.

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently posted my pic of E1e and E2d incan. They are still running the MN01 and MN02 bulbs. Can't seem to put these lights down.

On a side note, I have Franken Mag running a fivemega 5 led module putting around 1000+ lumens. One mode. I went to pick up my daughter from school on foot the other evening after an event and gave her that flashlight on the way back. There's been some coyote sightings so thought, why not? It was dark but had some cars still on the road. Can't say how painful it was to the eyes to try and attempt a pleasant walk with 1000 lumens light, not to mention how blinding must have been for oncoming cars when my daughter is swing the light around like a light saber. Not EDC friendly and definitely ruins the experience.

I know 1000 lumens have their place, but, I do appreciate my simple E-series incans...

rjking

Enlightened
Just noticed lately that E1e's and E2e's are selling on the bay for crazy money. Is there a cult following this series?

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just noticed lately that E1e's and E2e's are selling on the bay for crazy money. Is there a cult following this series?

I suspect that this is why there was so much recent excitement about Lumens Factory producing E-series bodies and tailcaps.

I don't have mine yet, but it's on the way (but with a LED head).

--flatline

Latest posts