Used my E1e tonight

rjking

Enlightened
Seems like the bay is flooded with E1e's and E2e's lately. Hopefully, prices comes down soon.

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like the bay is flooded with E1e's and E2e's lately. Hopefully, prices comes down soon.

Yeah, I see a lot of them. The prices have gone up which is surprising considering it's a dying light. I'd be surprised if someone dropped the cash for what some of them seem to be asking.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG_20180317_170234.jpg

Bought this dude with a working bulb and put a Tana in it for about the same coin they want for stock on eBay.

Running a CR123 with the singLED it puts out about 25 lumens. (Note, the primary can hold 100% or about 100 lumens briefly but it drops to about 25 lumens and stays there so I memory'd it for 25%)
Using the 4000k Tana puts out pretty close to SureFire's original tint too.

IMG_20180428_210440.jpg

100 lumen Tana at 25%, 60 lumen SureFire at 100%

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
That nostalgic glow! I have a hard time upgrading my Surfire E2E from that warm beam. For the meantime I keep a 16650 in it and enjoy those warm guilt free lumens.

Those first twenty minutes from a fresh set of CR123A's are the best. You're under driving it a bit with that setup, not getting the full potential as it's a 4.8V lamp, but enjoy.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I sold all my e1e's Really miss em. Still have a nice e2e I use frequently.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Running a CR123 with the singLED it puts out about 25 lumens. (Note, the primary can hold 100% or about 100 lumens briefly but it drops to about 25 lumens and stays there so I memory'd it for 25%)
Using the 4000k Tana puts out pretty close to SureFire's original tint too.

That is extremely close to the tint, but also doesn't put out the same light spectrum as the MN03. A good tinted LED will not have the same output characteristics as an incan.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Really?

IMG_20180728_070515.jpg

IMG_20180728_070754.jpg

I kinda see what you mean but....
When the concern is poofing a $25 light bulb, or carrying a battery sipping light with a very similar output that won't poof for a long long time.... it's a pretty good substitute.

Last edited:

rjking

Enlightened
This SingLed and TripLed by Tana is making the E1e very expensive.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea bykfixer. I often wonder as LED's get closer to the quality output of a well driven incan, will they end up having the same efficiency?

Two completely different technologies, that would be ironic. :D

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Something most of us don't consider is a filter.

Say you have a pretty acurate LED that runs at the cool end of the spectrum and you place a pretty acurate photography filter over the lens....
The result could possibly be a nice tint, good rendition and still have the efficiency of the cool ended LED, perhaps?

recDNA

Flashaholic

Say you have a pretty acurate LED that runs at the cool end of the spectrum and you place a pretty acurate photography filter over the lens....
The result could possibly be a nice tint, good rendition and still have the efficiency of the cool ended LED, perhaps?
LED'S lack the throw I like with a small reflector. LEDs are too big. I used to like the old xre-r2. It had more throw with smaller die. XPL technically throw further but hotspot becomes so diffuse I can't see it.

scout24

Flashaholic
Tana's SingLed dropins come pretty close to replicating the MN-01's beam pattern. Nice hotspot with lots of side spill. That said, I do use my stock E1e to wander out to the privy after dark

ven

Flashaholic
Got to love the E1e
YXS1ViGl.jpg

Thanks to Mike with the E2e, i have a bulb i can use in the E1e along with the 219b 5k singLED. It does amaze me in honesty, the old incand bulb holds its own and some compared to many "newer lights" beams. Throwy for the size, broad spill, not many lumens in numbers, but more than enough in use.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Tana's SingLed dropins come pretty close to replicating the MN-01's beam pattern. Nice hotspot with lots of side spill. That said, I do use my stock E1e to wander out to the privy after dark

Not me man. I keep my $25 modules for my old cross hair E1 shelf queen thank ya, and use Lumens Factory stuff.
The singLED is a pretty good substitute to my eyes.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast

This thread is several years old, but it has some interesting information about filters:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?320811-Changing-LED-Tint-With-Filters