• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Wave of Haiku High CRI

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since this thread is about the high CRI Haiku and pjandyho has just jumped in...I have to say that my high CRI Haiku has 'stuck with me' longer than any other light that I've owned.....and I am as fickle as they come. Of course, my appreciation of the Haiku in general has been expressed in this forum many a time, but as others have said, the absence of tint throughout the beam is so enjoyable to 'look' at - and my High CRI mule is the best photography lighting tool I've ever owned.

Good stuff....

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Since this thread is about the high CRI Haiku and pjandyho has just jumped in...I have to say that my high CRI Haiku has 'stuck with me' longer than any other light that I've owned.....and I am as fickle as they come. Of course, my appreciation of the Haiku in general has been expressed in this forum many a time, but as others have said, the absence of tint throughout the beam is so enjoyable to 'look' at - and my High CRI mule is the best photography lighting tool I've ever owned.

Good stuff....

Do you own one of the peak Eigers from Oveready with the same emitter? If so, how do they compare?

bmcgators98

Enlightened
Do you own one of the peak Eigers from Oveready with the same emitter? If so, how do they compare?

I have them both. The McGizmo is appears to be a more neutral tint with a more of a hot spot and throw. The Peak is warmer and more flood. I have only used a enloop with the Peak. Not sure how it would look with a 10180.

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used the Eiger with a 17500 and 10180 - with all due respect to the high cri Eiger (I do love it, after all), the Haiku has a virtual absence of tint where to me, the Eiger has a bit of a warmish yellow tint. I've carried the high cri haiku almost exclusively since I got it, but I do have the Eiger on my keychain with the 10180 body.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bass

Enlightened
I have a Mule with the 119 Nichia and it is a fantastic LED. I haven't experienced the beam through a reflector but can imagine how good it is, the tint is consistent from centre to spill in the mule.

It is important to note that Don has selected a specific bin of the 119 for his CRI offerings, which are right at the top CCT for this LED. The 119's in McGizmos are of a higher CCT than are commercially available to other manufacturers; above 4000K. Not to take anything away from the Eiger, or other available drop-ins using the Nichia 119's but they are not the same. Commercially available 119's are normally in the 3000-3500K - same CRI rating but very different CCT.

pjandyho - having followed many of your threads and replies (with interest) over the years and knowing you are an accomplished photographer, I do not hesitate in saying that you are the target market for Don's CRI lights. There is simply nothing else available, custom or otherwise that come close. What Don does with LED's and reflectors is beyond comparison - the hosts are beautiful, functional works of art that are timeless, classic designs but each light has a specific purpose; each light is a tool for a particular job. For connoisseurs of light, who understand, appreciate and benefit from artificial light source LED's and can use them to enhance their lives, this is it.

Apologies for what probably sounds like pretentious hyperbole, it is certainly not meant that way. Regarding the UI, you can make it work for your purposes, I am sure of it.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Mule with the 119 Nichia and it is a fantastic LED. I haven't experienced the beam through a reflector but can imagine how good it is, the tint is consistent from centre to spill in the mule.

It is important to note that Don has selected a specific bin of the 119 for his CRI offerings, which are right at the top CCT for this LED. The 119's in McGizmos are of a higher CCT than are commercially available to other manufacturers; above 4000K. Not to take anything away from the Eiger, or other available drop-ins using the Nichia 119's but they are not the same. Commercially available 119's are normally in the 3000-3500K - same CRI rating but very different CCT.

pjandyho - having followed many of your threads and replies (with interest) over the years and knowing you are an accomplished photographer, I do not hesitate in saying that you are the target market for Don's CRI lights. There is simply nothing else available, custom or otherwise that come close. What Don does with LED's and reflectors is beyond comparison - the hosts are beautiful, functional works of art that are timeless, classic designs but each light has a specific purpose; each light is a tool for a particular job. For connoisseurs of light, who understand, appreciate and benefit from artificial light source LED's and can use them to enhance their lives, this is it.

Apologies for what probably sounds like pretentious hyperbole, it is certainly not meant that way. Regarding the UI, you can make it work for your purposes, I am sure of it.

+1. Very well stated Bass!! I agree with every thing you said.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
No apologies needed on that. I understand what you have said and I tend to agree, or I would not have spent $900+ on Don's lights. I guess as time passes I tend to want quality much more than quantity when it comes to my purchases. Well in the first place I have always believed in quality and that's why I always ended up buying Surefire lights from whence I started my flashlight hobby. My very first light is a Surefire M2 in late 2002 and it is still working great today!

Bass

Enlightened
Thanks pjandyho. Please let us know how you get on when your lights arrive.

I'm envious, there is no better feeling than waiting for a McGizmo to arrive from the other side of the world and you have two incoming :devil:

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks pjandyho. Please let us know how you get on when your lights arrive.

I'm envious, there is no better feeling than waiting for a McGizmo to arrive from the other side of the world and you have two incoming :devil:
Yep.. It happened to me three times and the feeling is just WONDERFULL :thumbsup:

Last edited:

stoli67

Enlightened
Well I swapped my warm XPG into the mule and the high CRI into the haiku head but ended up with a black ring at the edge of the haiku beam with the high CRI LED in so I swapped them back.... probably better to just buy one from Don that is setup properly.....

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I swapped my warm XPG into the mule and the high CRI into the haiku head but ended up with a black ring at the edge of the haiku beam with the high CRI LED in so I swapped them back.... probably better to just buy one from Don that is setup properly.....
Even the one that comes from Don has the darker ring on the edge of the beam. Doesn't affect me but thought that you should know. If I am not wrong, the XM-L Haiku is the only one that Don actually modified the reflector to make it work. XP-G and high CRI are still using the same reflector. Somebody correct me if I am wrong since I am still a newbie when it comes to McGizmo lights.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
XP-G and Nichia 119 use the same reflector and the XM-L and XR-E use the same reflector.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

There is an artifact of a dark ring in the outer perimeter of the spill portion of the beam.