What did you use your flashlight for today?

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Pieces of semi-hard cheese are sold in vacuum packaging. They lie on shelves, the overhead light is cold LED. When they are stored incorrectly, the cheese becomes whitish and the flavor is lost at this point. A high CRI helps to find fresher pieces with a uniform yellow color. The difference in the photo is increased, in fact the color difference is slightly smaller, and at low CRI it is hardly noticeable. I probably look like a freak looking at cheese with a flashlight, good thing without a monocle

View attachment 59324
If it's silly but it works, it's not silly!

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
1000001947.jpg

A repeat of the use case in my previous post. Highly recommended mini-hack!

Convoy S3, BTW.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I took apart an old rechargeable battery pack this morning to inspect the batteries when two tiny 2 mm ball bearings fell out and flew across the floor, presumably through a wormhole to Narnia.

I used a magnetic sweeper to locate one of them but I couldn't find the other one, until I looked around with my PD36R. Found it immediately before my toes did.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
With good weather(no snow or rain just a bit cold) and time off for the holiday I decided a hike was in order.

I left when there was very little light and as soon as it got reasonably dark I lit things up with the Spectra. Anything interesting far off I would use the Lupine Betty to attempt to illuminate. The Surefire 9P with Malkoff was just not even worth using and only really served as a backup light I never needed. I was able to wonder around in the woods and get lost without needing additional lights that was on my belt or in my pack and then make it back with plenty of light to spare using them for an hour sometimes alternating to keep things cool and LEDs bright.

Pelican M6 LED with LF dropin and 2xSF rechargable 123s
Surefire 9P with Malkoff
Streamlight Ultrastinger in a Niteize universal pouch
Led Lenser X21R
Silva Spectra O
Lupine Betty

I think next time I'll take some water and a compass and spend more time looking around.

Attachments

• D468B611-15A5-4915-ADBF-2892C3646C97.jpeg
    D468B611-15A5-4915-ADBF-2892C3646C97.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The other day, foot-patrol near a perimeter wall. Using my Nebo Newton Torchy 300 on the highest setting. Before the wall itself, there's a small patch of dirt with plants growing out of it all along that side. Saw something reflecting at me. Close look with my light revealed about one dozen canisters of spent CO2 cartridges. Someone had thrown them in the dirt, in one spot. No clue why, ow what they were used for. Just found them there.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Strapped my d25lr onto my hard hat so that could see to measure a whole bunch of closets at a new upscale apartment building still in the works. Installing custom closet packages in a month or so.

PaladinNO

Enlightened
Doing some spring cleaning, and I just finished going through literally a mixed bag of old cosmetics, containing everything from sunscreen to cans of hair mousse, to see what could be kept and what could be disposed of.

And I needed my new Emisar DW4 E21A hCRI to make out the expiration date on a tube of antiseptic salve...which I managed to read saying "(use before) 1998". :caution:

EDIT:
I went through this bag 2 years ago, and I can swear I did not see the tube of salva then. Though it was small, and tucked right into a corner.

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Therapy it's my calming device may not work 100 percent but it does a bit

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I highlight the broken tracks on the video camera cable, I found them and now I'm thinking about how to solder them

View attachment 59966
That is called an FFC cable (Flat Flex Cable). Examine the ends of the cable carefully - if it can be unplugged, there's a chance you can replace it with a new cable from DigiKey or similar sources. I was able to repair a dead barcode scanner where the problem was a burned contact at one end of a FFC cable. Some careful measurements followed by a parametric search revealed a source for a replacement cable.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is called an FFC cable (Flat Flex Cable). Examine the ends of the cable carefully - if it can be unplugged, there's a chance you can replace it with a new cable from DigiKey or similar sources. I was able to repair a dead barcode scanner where the problem was a burned contact at one end of a FFC cable. Some careful measurements followed by a parametric search revealed a source for a replacement cable.
Unfortunately, such FFC can no longer be purchased anywhere. This is for the Sony GW66 camera, # part FP-2153. Only the soldering path remains

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
I just dropped my car's keys in the gap between the driver's seat and the handbrake console. The morning sunlight is hitting the car at an angle and only lights up the surroundings, so it's VERY dark inside that crevasse.

Used my Convoy M2 to light up the space and spot the key. The candelas of the SST20 in it have paid for themselves once again - the beam easily overpowered the surrounding glare from the sun. Key spotted and fished out, no worries. :buttrock:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
End of an era, at work.
We have a stationary/gift shop that takes up one of large rooms at my 3rd shift job. Been there for more years than I can remember. They sold snacks, non-alcoholic drinks, gifts, cards, balloons, stationary of all kinds, etc. Well, got the news awhile back that it was closing down. Went into work last night, place was gutted! It wasn't pretty.

Anyway, staying on-topic, shined my Olight M1T Raider inside on high-mode to see how bad the damage was. Realized that the stand-up ATM was gone. Took a closer look at the spot where it was.... Found out a dirty industry secret. You know how those types of ATMs are bolted to the floor and made exceptionally heavy to prevent theft? Well, the weight part is spot-on. But the bolts literally consist of two small bolts, bolted through the floor. And not that far down either. One was sheared off, but the other bolt was still barely sticking up through the floor. Rather eye-opening.