What's your EDC, Go-To, or favorite knife/knives?

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I've got one of those Leatherman Wave's too, the model that came out before the manufacturing went to China. :p So glad I managed to get it--marvelous tool. And very nice pouch that came with it. :thumbsup:

By chance do you know the year when Leatherman started manufacturing the Wave in China?

My Wave is from 1999, and I also have the original model from 1985? I think that is when I got it?

lightsandknives

Enlightened
Lately, it's been the middle knife in the pic. Love those Sebbies!

2675126857_8e07b6116d_o.jpg

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
By chance do you know the year when Leatherman started manufacturing the Wave in China?

My Wave is from 1999, and I also have the original model from 1985? I think that is when I got it?

they aren't made in china. The jaws are cast in Mexico then shipped back to the USA to finish production so they can't put USA on the jaws anymore

Gatsby

Enlightened
I have a handful of folders I carry - a Spyderco Sage II, a Spyderco ti Salsa, and a Benchmade mini Grip being the primary suspects.

However, I find myself coming back again and again to this - a lowly alox Victorinox Cadet. Thin in the pocket, light weight, good medium size, sheeple friendly, useful assortment of tools I actually use, and a decent blade. It's awfully hard to beat in an EDC, particularly since I don't carry a multitool daily.

cadet_red.jpg

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
This is the knife I have been carrying for 2 1/2 years now, and it is my go-to.

2794203405_e919970c0f.jpg
That Chris Reeve sebbie will last several generations.....you do get what you pay for. The best value/bang for my buck is the Spyderco Tenacious that I picked up- my first spyderco- my only regret is not getting the full serated edge for outdoor bushcraft- the plain edge is scary sharp- but i am not very good with field expedient sharpening. Picked up a small H1 salt in yellow- spyderedge full serated- it rocks. I have had CRKT, Kershaw, etc. but the spyderco will be my first to look out for on a new purchase.

For camping- I have a bunch of different mora's- best $10.00 all around utility knife that I have ever used-
that scandi steel is excellent IMO. These will do most everything a small camp hatchet will do and more.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
I love my Sebenza. Actually I have a love/hate relationship with it because it's such a great knife... on one hand it is wonderful to carry and use, on the other hand it means my other (really great) knives get so little playtime.

I agree with you that the Spyderco Tenacious is an excellent value but I will have to disagree that the serrated edge is better for bushcrafting as it is harder to carve with the chisel ground serrations (or any serrations for that matter). I think you will find that the Tenacious should hold a great edge even when beating the heck out of it... I have never had to resharpen a knife in the field, and don't intend to ever have to. Spyderco is definitely my favorite brand as well, and I have spent an absurd amount of money exploring Spyderco's great selection of knives. Personally my favorite Spyderco for the outdoors is the Military or Paramilitary, and for urban use my favorite is the Caly 3 CF/ZDP.

(click to enlarge)

I too love Moras... the knives are amazing, extremely inexpensive and great performers, my top choice for woodwork. The stock sheaths are terrible but better than nothing, so I recommend asking your sheathmaker of choice to make you a nice leather or kydex replacement.

Bonus points if you can name all the knives my hiking buddies and I took on a recent daytrip...

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
I'm a SOG collector, in a small way- has to be a model I particularly like. For folders, I really liked the Air Sog and when they still made them I bought 3, with 2 different edges. They had a level of quality not seen anymore- heartbreaking to think they were designed to be legal on airlines. I started carrying a SOG Trident when they came out, a slightly larger knife but I like the cord-cutting notch thing, and the assisted opening is cool. Someday I may go back to the Air model for EDC, but losing one is worring since they can't be replaced. Most anything by SOG is very good to excellent, but I'm worried about their leaving Japan manufactor.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
I love my Sebenza. Actually I have a love/hate relationship with it because it's such a great knife... on one hand it is wonderful to carry and use, on the other hand it means my other (really great) knives get so little playtime.

I agree with you that the Spyderco Tenacious is an excellent value but I will have to disagree that the serrated edge is better for bushcrafting as it is harder to carve with the chisel ground serrations (or any serrations for that matter). I think you will find that the Tenacious should hold a great edge even when beating the heck out of it... I have never had to resharpen a knife in the field, and don't intend to ever have to. Spyderco is definitely my favorite brand as well, and I have spent an absurd amount of money exploring Spyderco's great selection of knives. Personally my favorite Spyderco for the outdoors is the Military or Paramilitary, and for urban use my favorite is the Caly 3 CF/ZDP.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4062/4512807561_3398543e18_b.jpg
(click to enlarge)

I too love Moras... the knives are amazing, extremely inexpensive and great performers, my top choice for woodwork. The stock sheaths are terrible but better than nothing, so I recommend asking your sheathmaker of choice to make you a nice leather or kydex replacement.

Bonus points if you can name all the knives my hiking buddies and I took on a recent daytrip...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2742/4515234587_300d4472fb_b.jpg

TOP TO BOTTOM:
unknown SOG (?)
frost mora wood handled laminated scandi
frost military high carbon
SOG multi tool
Buck Hunter (?)
Spyderco Tenacious
CR Sebe
smaller SOG (?)
Spyderco military
SAK w/ od paracord lanyard
another SAK -older model
Buck Hartsook cpvm sv30 kneck knife
letherman wave/crunch (?)
newer model SAK

Styerman

Newly Enlightened
Knife wise , my present go to's are one or other of my Alox vic's. and/or my new Vic. 09 OH Soldier . I rarely cary dedicated locking folders anymore , as their capabilities are so limited comparted to SAK's and Multis . By and Large they just aren't worth the weight penalty .

The one Tactical that i would never give up is My Strider PT . I only carry iot for heavyduty outdoor use nowadays .

Chris

carrot

Flashaholic
TOP TO BOTTOM:
unknown SOG (?)
frost mora wood handled laminated scandi
frost military high carbon
SOG multi tool
Buck Hunter (?)
Spyderco Tenacious
CR Sebe
smaller SOG (?)
Spyderco military
SAK w/ od paracord lanyard
another SAK -older model
Buck Hartsook cpvm sv30 kneck knife
letherman wave/crunch (?)
newer model SAK
Close, the ones you got wrong are
Browning fixed
KaBar Dozier folder
Leatherman Skeletool

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carrot,

Do you have the large Sebenza as well ?
Just wondering what your thoughts would be on the size difference
for EDC.

I've been very close to pulling the trigger on one, but am always torn
on the size difference.

carrot

Flashaholic
Hi Kid9P, if you want to handle both you'll have to pester Wade to bring his Large to PF. I have used both and personally prefer the Small, but the Large is wonderful as well. If you are familiar with the Griptilian knives, they are very similar in size to those, but with a slightly more comfortable handle for big hands in both sizes. It's pretty easy to know which size you fit into when you consider the types of knives you usually carry. Don't you carry a Buck Strider? If so, go for the Large.

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks dude,

I will probably go for the larger Seb.

As far as that Buck Strider goes, I recently sold it on CPF. Darn thing
cost me 7 stitches.....:crackup:
I carry an XM-18 now.

carrot

Flashaholic
XM-18... very nice, I bet that one cost you a pretty penny.

In any case, the Large is a bit smaller than your XM-18 and a bit thinner. It is easier to carry than that HUGE thing (assuming you got the full-size and not the 3").

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, it's not as big as the BUSSE you carry around :huh: LOL

I'll have to start shopping around for a large Seb now...thanks.:twothumbs