Why is the SureFire 6P so good?

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
When you have so many imported lights blatantly copying the proven design of a light such as a 6P, you know there's a winning formula there. The size, fit and finish, operation, OEM service, output, reliability, modularity... you can't go wrong with these. Imitation is flattery, I suppose, although I call it stealing.

Long live the 6P!

swampgator

Enlightened
This thread could be from 1987, it doesn't matter!

Except if it was from '87 we'd be talking about a Minimag!

I don't own a 6P but remember seeing my first back in 1992. Being a buck private in the army I couldn't afford it. But I did pick up an E2E a few years back and think it's a perfect light to have around.

nathan225

Newly Enlightened
I bought a sure fire 6pL a few months ago and I love it thinking about geting it a dropin what what is the best led dropin for the 6p

nbp

Flashaholic
I wish I used my 6PD with XRE dropin more often. :sigh:

I will agree that I love the build quality, the heft, the throw, all that on this light. And I would love for it to have that cool well used patina. But I HARDLY EVER use it. Don't hate me. :crazy:

Honestly, for me, it's too big. About the biggest light I carry and use regularly is my Milky L4, which is quite a bit narrower, and slightly shorter, and has a clip. I got the 6PD because of threads like this, but I just don't use it. Despite that, I don't really want to get rid of it either. Humph! :shrug:

JCD

Enlightened
I bought a sure fire 6pL a few months ago and I love it thinking about geting it a dropin what what is the best led dropin for the 6p

P90 w/ 2x 16340 3.7 V cells or P91 w/ 2x IMR16340 cells, depending on whether you value brightness or runtime more.

Brigadier

Enlightened
IMHO, because of it's ability to have the lamp/bulb replaced. This goes for pretty much the whole SureFire line.

For instance - with an LED Olight, JetBeam, Fenix, etc... if your LED module dies for whatever reason, you can't simply drop in another one and move on. With the Surefire line, you just drop in another bulb/P60 module, and keep going.

swampgator

Enlightened
The Surefire 6 is the ancestor of the 6P and was available then.

Okay, well, then you force me to pull this out: We wouldn't be having this discussion cause the internet wasn't around and we were all just the goofy guys who liked flashlights.:grin2:

Seriously though, when exactly did the Surefire 6 became available?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Okay, well, then you force me to pull this out: We wouldn't be having this discussion cause the internet wasn't around and we were all just the goofy guys who liked flashlights.:grin2:

error

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast

1987 :thumbsup:

NE450No2

Enlightened
I still have and use my 2 original 6P's that I got when they were first introduced. I have been a confirmed SureFire user ever since.

The 6P is now a whole family of lights, handheld and weapon lights.

Factory bulbs in incandescent and LED as well as aftermarket bulbs, allow the 6P "series" as I call it erform just about any task that a small light would be used for, excet when you need a low lumen otion or a one 123 battery compact.

For ruggedness and General utility the 6P is hard to beat.

For handheld use with handguns, the lights with the syringe gri are the way to go.

For a less expensive General Purpose light there are the Nitrolon lights.

There are several models of SF Weapon Lights that use the P60 series bulb.

So, if most of your lights use the same battery and can use the same type of bulb, and you can change from LED to Incandescent, high to lower lumens, ie, pick lamps with the runtime/lumens you need, it makes you life a lot easier, IMHO.

I have more flashlights that use the P60 type of bulb than any other.