Why is the SureFire 6P so good?

kamagong

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have an idea of how many 6Ps were made during their entire run? My newest 6P has a SN of 81****. Maybe a million total?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It is thought that millions were produced over time. Batches were produced. Some for fulfilling gigantic orders to various militaries around the world and some for general sale. It was not just the US military that bought 6P and other SureFire lights. Turkey, Japan, Germany, South Korea and Isreal among others.

I don't know for sure but I think I read some batches began with A and when the number reached a point like say 999,999 then letter B would be used. Now one other thing was they were often released out of order. Say a batch of 300k was produced there would be times number 275,000 would be delivered before number 742 simply due to the way the bodies ended up in the assembly line. At least that's what I was told.

xavierthebikemessenger

Newly Enlightened
im looking for a titanium head to fit a surefire 6P. can someone point me to the right direction please? any leads would be fully appreciated

3oni

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up a NOS 6P, and having not bought an incan flashlight in many years I'm pleasantly surprised at how great the tint is -- it's really taking me back. :)

What a fantastic design overall. I can see why this light made history, and I'm excited to own one.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
This thread seemed lonely so bump time
4F704E79-1D97-414E-AE64-D71C14AB3E7D.jpeg

This one was once removed from the SureFire roster. Yup it sure was. So was the 3P that never returned.

The 6P was brought out of retirement and started an entire industry of copies and improvements
255B0716-2984-4023-A4BB-F87BFEA011B3.jpeg

Complete with a radical new "that'll never catch on" anti roll feature.

I think the old one looks kool & the gang but the new one is definitely easier to grip and use.

Last edited:

muichimon

Newly Enlightened
View attachment 31745
This one was once removed from the SureFire roster. Yup it sure was. So was the 3P that never returned.

The 6P was brought out of retirement and started an entire industry of copies and improvements
View attachment 31750

I think the old one looks kool & the gang but the new one is definitely easier to grip and use.
I still use 6P xenon bulbs.
I like this simple and solid option.
IMG_3630.JPG

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
View attachment 31745

View attachment 31750

There seem to be two different switches on the old style round body 6p. The shorter, smooth version and a raised textured one. The raised textured one works better. Then the switch was perfected on the later 6p, which is quite a bit longer than the old round body 6p's, but with that length comes a better switch, a lens and bezel ring that's user replaceable, plus the anti roll head which was also a great improvement.

9A945DE8-D84D-4ED2-9A72-703014BADADA.jpeg
B0B0A454-9A82-4B83-BEA8-FECDCBF245A0.jpeg

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys are killin'me:)

I look at the 6P, which I don't own, as being a lot like a 1911 (Colt) pistol in many ways. Of the most influential designs, it is the oldest and arguably the most influential. I prefer the P35 (Browning Hi-Power) design, and have more than one, but for a long time never owned a 1911. I finally realized no proper pistol person should be without a 1911, so I eventually bought one (25-30 years ago now), and am glad I did.

At some point when I have some spare change, I'm gonna cop a 6P, and I'll be posting here at CPF for advice on exactly what variant I should get. It's inevitable. No flashlight person should be without a 6P. I'm ashamed I don't have one, and I should be!

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
You guys are killin'me:)

I look at the 6P, which I don't own, as being a lot like a 1911 (Colt) pistol in many ways. Of the most influential designs, it is the oldest and arguably the most influential. I prefer the P35 (Browning Hi-Power) design, and have more than one, but for a long time never owned a 1911. I finally realized no proper pistol person should be without a 1911, so I eventually bought one (25-30 years ago now), and am glad I did.

At some point when I have some spare change, I'm gonna cop a 6P, and I'll be posting here at CPF for advice on exactly what variant I should get. It's inevitable. No flashlight person should be without a 6P. I'm ashamed I don't have one, and I should be!

And much like the 1911 being modernized with better sights, extended beavertails and etc. and still competing with newer handgun designs, the 6p and similar surefires can also be modernized with led drop in's, lithium ion batteries and the like and still compete with newer lights.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Like the 1911 the 6P changed the game no doubt AZ.
Streamlight tried with a TL-2 and TL-2 shockproof, Penaton did eX2 and Pelican the M6 2320. But not one could rival it, although if Pelican had not used such a delicate switch......but none had the P60. Without the P60 it would have been just another little flashlight run off camera batteries.

I really liked the smaller-lighter TL-2 shockproof and the ability to actually focus the beam but that was more of a novelty than benefit. It was kinda like outfitting the Colt 1911 with a 22 barrel for target practicing.

jz6342

Newly Enlightened
The 6P was my first "tactical" light. I remember paying the princely sum of 60 bucks (without batteries) and getting what, at that time, was the brightest and smallest flashlight I'd ever owned. I carried it on my duty belt until I retired and it followed me to many protective details after that. I upgraded the bulb to LED some time around 2010 and passed it onto a friend who was still in the business. It's still on his belt today.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The 6P was my first "tactical" light. I remember paying the princely sum of 60 bucks (without batteries) and getting what, at that time, was the brightest and smallest flashlight I'd ever owned. I carried it on my duty belt until I retired and it followed me to many protective details after that. I upgraded the bulb to LED some time around 2010 and passed it onto a friend who was still in the business. It's still on his belt today.
In about 2015 in a 1 horse town I was working in a police office was sitting in a parking lot one morning and I walked up and asked "what flashlight do you use sir?" He pulls out an incan SL20 and shines it in my eyes. "Good grief" I said. He said "eh some day I'll get one of those new fangled LED numbers." Meanwhile another officer, a young man approaches and asked what was up. The more seasoned officer told him what we were talking about and zaps me in the eyes again. The young guys says "pft that's nothing" pulls out his 6P and says "check this out". I turned his way and "zap" he hits my eyes with a 6P beam from 5 feet away. I'm like "dammit guys that aint funny" but they sure thought it was.

Keep in mind this was in a white concrete parking lot, mid-day on a sunny day so my pupils were probably small as dust specks. I went home that day and ordered a 6P online. Now that made in 2014 one has a double low warm Malkoff module in it and a SureFire clicker tailcap. But I also keep a couple of stock ones from around 2009 from an eBay purchase where there was a sudden influx of hundreds of them from $25 to $35.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I'm one of a minority that never was a fan of the 6P. For the two-cell configuration, the SF E2 was the winner. That being said, I really liked SF's line of 3-cell lights. I kept waiting for SF to bring out a 3-cell E-series light, but as far as I know, they never did.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the draw of the 6p is that it's so modular. The E2 is my favorite as well but for quick and easy upgrades the 6p wins hands down.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
When I got my first E2 I definitely understood the alure. I imagined what people must have thought when they were a new product on the market. Oh my.
Yet there was something about the anti-roll version of the 6P I just prefer. I think it's something gripping a tennis racket versus a golf club. My hand fits the tennis racket better.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
anyone can use it....not a complicated interface.
Can change it up just about any way imaginable

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good thing about both 6P and E2 is that still can find custom made parts such as 1x18350, 1x18500, 1x18650, 2x18350, 3x18350, and extender bodies for longer batteries.
Can also find 26xxx bodies for longer run time.
With more search you will find custom tail caps and bezels.