Why is the SureFire 6P so good?

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I use 'em to create motion in photos during broad daylight scenes with camera lenses that won't close the aperature far enough to do same.

Motion of a flag on a windy day at noon comes to mind.

Like putting on really dark glasses so the shutter on a camera stays open a lot longer.

Another option could be the stuff they use at window tint shops.
Lick it n stick it (backwards) like static cling decals. Peel off when done. But careful with that one...a hot lens may actually cause it to become bonded enough to need scraping off.

The ND or and Photographic Gels are free in sample books, just cut them out. Also, the will not stick to your light they are made for the big Cans on stages and the huge Mole Richardson lights for motion picture shooting.Trust me I have been using them for decades. a surefire difussion filter will hold them fine. these are made for lights hotter than any flashlight ever will be, so no worries, cut them out and if you can open your light set them on the window, they stay.

This is free and easy, go to a professional camera store, if you can find one, the lighting dept will give you a gel sample book free.

you can have a hundred combonations for free and some scissors.

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even a big sheet is like a few dollars, not expensive and they last years, I have some decades old and have been used hundreds of times, NBC gave me some 25 years ago and I still use them.

you can get: Any color there are hundreds of them
ND
Diffusion to soften and spread light

Its fun. I am a Master Electrician and light all my sets, and have done so with every president from Nixon to Obama. (Clinton, Bush 43, and Obama in office) the others at their functions.

I have done a piece on this before, search for it if you like.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
A ND or neutral density filter is a series of filters that are darkened in various degrees to tone down scenes that are brighter than as a photographer want to portray.

There are ND gels available that you could cut to the diameter of the head. Glass filter come in various diameters, but cost as much as the gels and you have to find a way to mount it.

The Glass were called filters, gel is like cellophane, with the new cameras it is the motion picture guys that shoot with gels, we just dial the color balance and say look here. you can put them in holders over the lens of flash even the cellophane type lenses but, in still shooting, not done much these days. it was fun, and your bill went up.

But for flashlights don't get glass.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The wife and I were looking into some slide in filters by Lee(?) at one point, but opted to just acquire good glass polarizers, an ND or two and some star filters.
Most of our photography was based on foot travel to locations and see what opportunities came our way along the way. The idea was to keep the luggage light and simple.

I still like the idea of a variable density filter though. And if we get back into photography like on that scale again will likely go with a slide in system with a well organized side carry pouch.
We actually have good camera stores not so far away as my area has plenty of serious photographer folks who still enjoy using film.

But for now my wife is persuing other interests and I'm all in in the flashlight collector thing...like the ever popular 6P....

bykfixer

Flashaholic
While in stores looking at flashlights one of the first things I check for..."is it P60 compatible?" or "can it be made P60 compatible?" lol
Even those little $3 multi LED kind at the check out counter of auto parts stores...

0dBm

Newly Enlightened
Please can somone explain to me why this 6P is so damn good. I have several other lights like a Mag 5D, Mag 2C, a Fenix P3D, and some no name models.

Some of them throw more light or have greater reach but none of them is overall so good as my P6!

Is it its size, is it the bulb, the looks, the feel, all of them??

What are your feelings about the 6P??
Simply because it works when I have needed it. I still have and occasionally use mine that I purchased 27 years ago.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Why is the SureFire 6P so good?
That's easy - the cool 'crosshairs' SF logo, OEM support for dropin upgrades, gold-color interior chemkote, cool limited-release anodized colors ... oh wait. Must have been thinking of an earlier age, lol. ;)

Edit: but seriously, there is one telling metric embedded in this thread itself:

• 12 posts from 2007
  • 56 posts from 2010
  • 28 posts from 2015
  • 120 posts from 2016
... and counting. :)

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
That's easy - the cool 'crosshairs' SF logo, OEM support for dropin upgrades, gold-color interior chemkote, cool limited-release anodized colors ... oh wait. Must have been thinking of an earlier age, lol. ;)

Edit: but seriously, there is one telling metric embedded in this thread itself:

• 12 posts from 2007
  • 56 posts from 2010
  • 28 posts from 2015
  • 120 posts from 2016
... and counting. :)

Hmmmmmm...something to think about there.

Hmmmmm.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Hey All. Something just occurred to me. If Surefire defines tactical runtime as the light dropping to 50 lumens, does that mean that the 6P Original's runtime of 1 hour mean that it only drops 15 lumens, from 65 to 50 in that time?

sgt253

Enlightened
Hey All. Something just occurred to me. If Surefire defines tactical runtime as the light dropping to 50 lumens, does that mean that the 6P Original's runtime of 1 hour mean that it only drops 15 lumens, from 65 to 50 in that time?

If I recall correctly, I believe the light is conservatively rated by Surefire. I believe Surefire rates this light, like most of their others, at the mid point of the run. It most likely starts with a higher lumen count and drops, with the 65 lumens for one hour, before tapering off in both run time and lumen count.