Will I turn into a Maglite fan once again?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
7E577A6A-023D-4A9E-B0CA-941FEB5A4E38.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Dude, you've gotta tell us about that anti-roll attachment. Looks too big to be a classic Stinger one.

I used GITD paint on my first two ML models until I got used to the new button. Then I programmed them so that the first click is momentary and two clicks to stay on. That way my thumb or finger stays near the button. And if you really need the light to turn off quickly just loosen the tailcap a quarter turn.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is a 2-D cell light so the Mag Bezel guard fits, all mine are set at mode 3 or momentary, double click=high and triple click = eco. I had one sit for over a year without twisting the tail out and the Centura cells in it were fine, but ever since I read that you tail lock them I now do the same.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I noticed at flashlight lens dot com the ML300 uses the same size glass (replacements) as the classic D lights. It looks a bit smaller from across the room. But it's nice to know that device fits the ML300 as well.

I have a 3D Fluke incan and a classic style 2D LED edition. But both are still in the package. I bought the incan one to Malkoff then found a 3D green one so that one got Malkoff'd instead.

Now cutting the circuit on XL lights at times does not seem to actually cut the circuit. Example is my XL100 had brand new batteries and after sitting for a week with tailcap unscrewed way past the point it would not fire would not light a week later. One battery was so dead it would not even light a vampire and the other two barely lit it. (vampire is an E01), same with my wife's XL50. So I pluck the carriers out and keep them next to the light. It should not have killed 3 new batteries in one week due to parasitic drain. Now my XL50 and 200 have not had that issue for the most part but my XL50 would not light on high after a few months even with the circuit cut. Or so I thought. Even tho the tail switch won't turn the light on the batteries still seem to drain.

With ML lights if you cut the circuit with it lit the switch prompts to off. The XL lights if you do that and then twist the tailcap back tight it returns to where it was, on, flash, whatever. Strange.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Always was a bit of a Mag fan, just got this today.

The Nine-Line 3 cell edition arrived a day early. Yessssssssss!!
My first LX will probably not be my last. The matt finish is a bit more grippy feeling. A sort of chalky feeling like Pentagon lights. The waffle knurling at face value does not look like it would be that different. And with gloves it may not be. But bare handed it provides a bit more positive feel to the grip. I can see why folks swear by these.

5237-DA5-A-A06-B-428-C-B322-0367-BB06-BEAA.jpg

This one is the updated ML300.

191-B58-D5-5806-4-B91-B09-E-109-B1-DAF6220.jpg

Nearly 750 lumens from 3 D batteries.
Yet nearly 300 hours available with about the same brightness as an incan 3D. Amazing.

Now Maglite LED lights have a vast improvement in the beam with the ML series but still not perfect. Faced with a choice of a glass lens or a slightly diffused lens I picked the slightly diffused one for the better beam.

FCA67-EBE-EAA9-4681-8612-C80-D5-CD06779.jpg

Note how the LED is slightly blurred.
It's called acrylite and flashlight lens dot com sells them.
I may end up going with glass since these are not real scratch resistant or good for high heat applications.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It's dark outside now so……

Beam shots. Impressed.

A89-C2305-C89-A-4-A89-98-C5-B5-EDE7630-B70.jpg

Neighbors light colored house is brightly lit.

2604118-B-0-B16-43-B2-973-D-6-FEFB01-A945-B.jpg

The black swing set lit at 500 feet surprised me.

PS Maglite is having a 25 days the Christmas sale. 25% off the order with a code.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks good! The hard ano'd grenade grip does give a slightly better hand hold than the standard knurling and the slicker type II ano.

I'm thinking that they must have lowered the lumens on eco mode some to get the crazy long run time? Good thing if they did, I always thought that eco was a bit too bright on the ML300 (eco on the ML50's are about ideal).

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
They throw pretty good for the money. I have the first Mag LED which was a Luxeon 3 an improvement over the incan but not a pretty beam, then came the Luxeon Rebel version of which I have several and they put out a pencil beam with decent throw, then came the Cree XP-G version of which I have several and an even brighter pencil beam but the new ones with the Cree XM-L crush the rest IMHO.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
According to the numbers the 600 lumen ML300 threw a wee bit better than the 700 lumen upgrade. Both throw father than I can focus without an optic in front of my eye so I'm good either way.

I placed a couple of different orders at Maglite during the Thanksgiving period and if they do order numbers in sequence they sold a lot of product in that period. Like 2,000+ orders. Perhaps people were using the discount code to buy stuff they've wanted for a while but waited for a discount. I know that's what I did.
Now at one point the minimag was selling at 1 every couple of minutes back in the 80's and 90's so the numbers are way down. Same with 3D incans. Yet the black Friday numbers suggest Maglite as a company is doing ok.

Edited to say 2 thousand not 20 thousand.....

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I read 38 on eco……
Nope, Maglite says 58.

I think the original 625L was 58, they dropped it down considerably on the ML50's....I think they may have also dropped down on the 4D ML300?

maglite mike

Enlightened
According to the numbers the 600 lumen ML300 threw a wee bit better than the 700 lumen upgrade. Both throw father than I can focus without an optic in front of my eye so I'm good either way.

I placed a couple of different orders at Maglite during the Thanksgiving period and if they do order numbers in sequence they sold a lot of product in that period. Like 20,000+ orders. Perhaps people were using the discount code to buy stuff they've wanted for a while but waited for a discount. I know that's what I did.
Now at one point the minimag was selling at 1 every couple of minutes back in the 80's and 90's so the numbers are way down. Same with 3D incans. Yet the black Friday numbers suggest Maglite as a company is doing ok.

I just bought the new ml 150 shortie, mag tac rechargabe and a 4D ml 300. I didnt enter the 30 percent off code correctly but maglite was kind enough to refund me after I emailed them.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Ethster is the best MM.
I made the same mistake hence my advisory way back in post 191 to be sure you click the apply button.

Expect a couple of extra days before getting the shipped email. I'm used to 1 or 2 days but this time it was 4 before I got it. Then the wait for the brown pony express truck to bring it from Cali to the east coast since they use UPS ground for the $0 shipping.