Words to Live By.

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
What does not belong to you will always seem to be better..

jtr1962

Flashaholic
"If at first you don't succeed, stop. Think about it. Then try another way."

The amalgamation of those sentiments.
A variation on this theme is "Once you screw up big time, move on to other things".

Some people just don't have an aptitude for certain things. At all. In my case, it's earning more than a minimal amount of money, getting past "friendship" with the opposite sex, and any type of sport requiring hand-eye coordination. I tried all of these things at one time or another with little success. After several tries, I concluded my efforts were better spent at pursuits I was good at. I totally agree it's worthwhile to continue pursuing things if you at least get marginally better with each try. That certainly happened with cycling, for example. In the three cases above, there was no improvement whatsoever after repeated disasters.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Allright - I'll play:

All's well that ends
Truncated for a reason - projects and other discrete tasks need to have a conclusive end, which they often are not granted

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Carl Sagan - I take this to mean that you should remain open to possibilities

Inferior minds discuss personalities. Average minds discuss events. Superior minds discuss ideas.
Variations of this are commonly attributed to Eleanor Roosevelt

Theater is life. Cinema is art. Television is furniture.
No idea where this came from, but it's always been very true to me

Do what you can with what you have where you are.
Teddy Roosevelt, I believe - I take it to mean that you should recognize when something is possible despite obstacles

Work has a tendency to expand to fit the time allocated to it.
No idea where this came from, but its truth comes from allocating too much time to a task - which does not have any particular tendency to make the outcome better

Beware the 90-90 rule: The first 90% of the project takes 90% of the time allotted. The last 10% of the project takes 90% of the time spent.
Derived from The Jargon File

A project can meet specifications, come in under budget, or meet its deadline - pick two
An electronic device can be simple, cheap, or efficient - and if you're lucky it can be two of those things
Heard these (and other A, B, or C - pick two) in industry

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.
Hunter Thompson

Society is three meals away from disorder
Heard this many times and believe there are significant elements of truth to it

The brochure view of anything is always more attractive than the reality of it
Beware the unqualified promotion of anything - it will be missing crucial negatives...

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
"If your only tool is a hammer, pretty soon every problem will start to look like a nail."

(A self-defense proverb.)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I guess we all should be a bit ashamed for not posting the following sooner ...

"Two is one, and one is none."

jamie.91

Enlightened
Weird how so many of these ring true, I've been a different person since I heard one of these 2 years ago, I'd just started my current job and in the first week whilst trying to make a good impression I was working hard, real hard, my boss came over to me and told me to "work smarter not harder". I've never felt as educated as I did that day and that saying has been at the forefront of my thinking since!

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't force it.. get a bigger hammer.

i busted out laughing from this, aint nothing a hammer cant fix.:twothumbs

"buy cheap, buy twice" - friend of mine always says that one.
"the simpler the better" - me
"lift with your legs" - something i always have to remind myself about.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
"Figure out what's important to you, and what's not. Don't spend too much time on the latter because that just means less time you have to devote to the former. The above also applies to individual people in your Life too. " ~ Me