Words to Live By.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Nothing builds false friendships like alcohol.
It amazes me how many people fail to grasp that.

I remember sitting down in a bar where I was going to meet someone in a few hours to go elsewhere. Had some food, ordered a few drinks, and took a casual interest in whatever sportsball was on TV with the goal to kill time. Less than 30 minutes into it this drunk shows up and acts like I'm his best friend from decades past. I had time to kill so I occasionally acted like the monologue was a conversation, but not too long after my friend arrived I was eager to GTFO, so I did ... mid-sentence for this guy too if I recall.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
My friends are few, but true.
Reminded me of a bit of dialogue...

Turkey Creek Jack Johnson: Doc, you oughta be in bed, what the hell you doin this for anyway?
Doc Holliday: Wyatt Earp is my friend.
Turkey Creek Jack Johnson: Hell, I got lots of friends.
Doc Holliday: I don't.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, this had me realize one very deep truth:

Only ONE person on Earth really has you best interest as a 100% priority. If it ain't you, then no one does.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
In regards to finances;
How much you spend is more important then how much you make.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's why you left your wife under that golf cart. :tsk:

~ Chance :)

:D

Wrote this one in my little sayings book the same night:

You are as old as you think, feel and act.

(True story): When I was 20, on a beautiful sunny and very comfortable summer day I walked out of the house to got to work and stopped a minute to look up, enjoy the fresh air, the sun and beauty of the day. I realized that if I had a choicae to stop aging at any moment I chose, I would have chosen that very year. I believe I stopped aging in my mind at that very moment. I am still getting wiser with time but, in my heart, I am still 20 years young. Still, if I would love a woman enough to marry her, she wouldn't stay under the gold cart for anyone else. I've been single, which means some woman is suffering for not meeting me earlier in her life... that is the honest truth and only the truth...Some poor woman is definitely suffering for no good reason at all. (I bet a lots of people are completely lost with the golf cart references by now :D )

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
There is no tonal inflection in the written word, as there is in the spoken word.

When I write, I often use more words than I would if I was speaking to some one. The reason being, is that I want to be as clear as possible, so that there is no misunderstanding, or misinterpretation. Often, too often misinterpretations lead to hard feelings.

Years ago, there was a fellow who often twisted my words. Not a particularly pleasant character. I learned to re-read my posts, to correct spelling, improve sentence structure, and try to improve clarity. To write in a manner that there is no doubt of my meaning, so that if this fellow were to twist my meaning it would be obvious to all involved, that he was being purposefully obtuse.

:D

Wrote this one in my little sayings book the same night:

You are as old as you think, feel and act.

(True story): When I was 20, on a beautiful sunny and very comfortable summer day I walked out of the house to got to work and stopped a minute to look up, enjoy the fresh air, the sun and beauty of the day. I realized that if I had a choicae to stop aging at any moment I chose, I would have chosen that very year. I believe I stopped aging in my mind at that very moment. I am still getting wiser with time but, in my heart, I am still 20 years young. Still, if I would love a woman enough to marry her, she wouldn't stay under the gold cart for anyone else. I've been single, which means some woman is suffering for not meeting me earlier in her life... that is the honest truth and only the truth...Some poor woman is definitely suffering for no good reason at all. (I bet a lots of people are completely lost with the golf cart references by now :D )

Well, it doesn't help that you typed gold cart. :nana:

~ Chance

Last edited:

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
"The opposite of love is note hate; it is power"

Carl Jung quoted from "The Devil's Chessboard: Allen Dulles, the CIA, and the Rise of America's Secret Government" by David Talbot

nbp

Flashaholic
I have on occasion come across this variation, The opposite of love is apathy. I think it to be the more accurate.

~ Chance

Agreed. Love and hate are closer on spectrum than people think. They are connected by strong passion. Apathy or indifference shows a complete lack of passion.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
You're only as old as you feel..
Until shoveling snow all day...

Pro boxer Jack Johnson was pulled over for speeding. The police officer said "that'll be $50."
Jack retorted "take $100, I'll be back through later."

The guy who ate the first chicken egg said "I'm gonna eat the next thing that drops from that chicken's butt."

You can lead 'em to water, but they'll probably choose Pepsi.

No pain/no gain is over rated.

And finally
The flashlight is your friend.

Last edited:

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have on occasion come across this variation, The opposite of love is apathy. I think it to be the more accurate.

~ Chance
The quote I posted: ""The opposite of love is not hate; it is power"

Carl Jung quoted from "The Devil's Chessboard: Allen Dulles, the CIA, and the Rise of America's Secret Government" by David Talbot

I would say the opposite of "apathy" would be 'The Conscious'. Noun: 'The conscious, Psychoanalysis'. the part of the mind comprising psychic material of which the individual is aware.

This not an issue of an absolute but one of difference as in "Is the glass half full or half empty?"

But both the words 'love' and 'hate' are words implying action of thought, while the word 'apathy' is a word of inaction.