Wow, why in the world do you carry a flashlight with you?

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread made me laugh! I carry a small Swiss Army knife with me all the time which has a tiny flashlight in it. It doesn't exactly light up the night but it has bailed me out many times! I once gave one to a friend for Christmas & years later he told me... "When I opened the gift, my first thoughts were... Why did Roddy give me this little knife, it is so small I'll likely never use it? Anyway, I put it on the counter. The next day I noticed it as I was leaving for work and just popped it in my pocket. Since that day, I can't leave the house without it!"
Sounds like a midnight manager! I have one on me every day.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I carry a knife built in to carabiner keychain clip. It is pretty cheesy but it'll cut open a box or a small rope and that is all I need to do. If I needed to skin a possum I would carry a real knife...but I don't have to kill what I eat. LOL

desmobob

Enlightened
If I needed to skin a possum I would carry a real knife...but I don't have to kill what I eat. LOL

You eat possums? But someone else kills them and skins them for you?

:huh:

;)

I like to carry decent-sized knife. Not for skinning possums, but because it works better than a tiny knife for cutting bagels and so on.

Take it easy,
Bob

recDNA

Flashaholic

:huh:

;)

I like to carry decent-sized knife. Not for skinning possums, but because it works better than a tiny knife for cutting bagels and so on.

Take it easy,
Bob
Just my attempt at humor. I'm not knocking big knives. I just don't have the lifestyle that would provide uses for them. Like I said...open a box...cut a piece of string, that's about it. I really like to look at quality knives I just don't use them.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I like bigger knives but don't have a reason to carry one. I do enjoy going to knife shows though. And ah no...I don't actually eat possum. I eat chicken parm but possum parm does have a ring to it.

desmobob

Enlightened
Just my attempt at humor. I'm not knocking big knives. I just don't have the lifestyle that would provide uses for them. Like I said...open a box...cut a piece of string, that's about it. I really like to look at quality knives I just don't use them.

Just my attempt at humor, too. For me, knives are kind of like flashlights... once you start carrying one, you find more and more uses for it and soon, you can't leave home without it.

I like bigger knives but don't have a reason to carry one. I do enjoy going to knife shows though. And ah no...I don't actually eat possum. I eat chicken parm but possum parm does have a ring to it.

Take it from a country boy... stick with the chicken parm. ;-)

I better clarify that by saying I have never actually tried eating opossum, but after a couple of close encounters (including carrying one who was "playing 'possum" off my porch) I am sure it is nothing I care to try unless it is a last-ditch effort to ward off impending, imminent starvation.

Take it easy,
Bob

bigalf16

Newly Enlightened
Totally agree. Same boat as you a year ago I didn't carry a flashlight. always wore a watch and had a knife but the light is new and I'll tell you it does come in handy. The phone app is nice but doesn't cut it. Hopefully your coworker learned a thing or two and joined this forum, bought and carries a light now.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a midnight manager! I have one on me every day.

The Midnight Manager is definitely a top-tier EDC option. The only problem would be the hordes that argue that the SAK 3 blade is lighter and as useful. There's also the "Tool Chest" variant. I sometimes wonder if the Midnight Manager and Swiss Tool Chest variants were combined that this would be the perfect thing to combine with a LRI coin cell light on the split ring. I'm a big fan of the SAK executive and Photon 2 or Freedom Micro as a pair. It's also hard not to recommend a Kershaw Chive paired with that LRI coin cell light.

Some of the "field market" folks I know will not accept skinned small game if it's got the feet cut off. You don't know if it's opossum, raccoon, or cat. Just saying.

My decent sized knife is only 2 3/4" sharpened edge. The spine of the blade is very thick, however. It's a pretty durable option, the knife itself is more durable than any edge that can be put upon it. With leather stropping, I've shaved with this knife on two occasions on road trips because of logistics.

You might look into the "Rough Rider" brand and the model "The Smallest of the Small." I find it's quite useful as far as what you've said when you also have an AAAx1 light to hold on to with the knife attached. I use mine two digits a week, and the thing closed is smaller than a dime. It's one of my most used knives.

I'm lactose intolerant. Possum parm would twist me up inside. My best advice for eating them is to trap and cage them. Give them worming medictation and feed them clean food for about a month. The problem then comes up that you're spending more on possum food than if you went to the grocery store. Don't get me started on armadillos.

Just my attempt at humor, too. For me, knives are kind of like flashlights... once you start carrying one, you find more and more uses for it and soon, you can't leave home without it.
Two blades, bare minimum. Even if one is tinier than a blade of grass, those seem to the both the most useful and the ones least likely to scare the random passerby. "ZOMG! ITS A KNIFE!"

Take it from a country boy... stick with the chicken parm. ;-)
Ahh, but have you tried baked chicken and couscous with rosemary and olive oil? :)

I better clarify that by saying I have never actually tried eating opossum, but after a couple of close encounters (including carrying one who was "playing 'possum" off my porch) I am sure it is nothing I care to try unless it is a last-ditch effort to ward off impending, imminent starvation.
You haven't had "plate fright" until you've finished shelling out an armadillo and the lady of the house arrives just in the nick of time to inform everyone that there's no way in perdition's flames that this item will enter her kitchen stove. My advice? Lots of garlic and red/black pepper infused butter. Even though I'm averse to dairy products, that combo is dynamite for wild game in my humble opinion.

Last edited:

mudcamper

Newly Enlightened
I'm not knocking big knives. I just don't have the lifestyle that would provide uses for them. ... I just don't use them.

I like bigger knives but don't have a reason to carry one.

Self defense? I suppose you could live in a state that restricts their carry, or in a state that doesn't restrict the carry of better weapons (guns). I live in California, in a county where sheriff's don't issue carry permits. So knives and pepper spray are it.

Two blades, bare minimum. Even if one is tinier than a blade of grass, those seem to the both the most useful and the ones least likely to scare the random passerby. "ZOMG! ITS A KNIFE!"

This. I carry more than 1 knife, just like I carry more than 1 light. Different tools for different jobs. And yeah, depending on who is nearby, prudence dictates the use of a smaller one. Although when people freak out when they see my self defense knife, I ask them about their kitchen knives to get their perspectives back into reality.

bluemax_1

Enlightened
Self defense? I suppose you could live in a state that restricts their carry, or in a state that doesn't restrict the carry of better weapons (guns). I live in California, in a county where sheriff's don't issue carry permits. So knives and pepper spray are it.

This. I carry more than 1 knife, just like I carry more than 1 light. Different tools for different jobs. And yeah, depending on who is nearby, prudence dictates the use of a smaller one. Although when people freak out when they see my self defense knife, I ask them about their kitchen knives to get their perspectives back into reality.

I know some states (and it could potentially vary by county) restrict blade lengths (could've sworn Cali was one seeing as they restrict just about everything).

In many states where there are blade length restrictions, it's most common that under 3" is allowed, but carrying a knife with a 3" or longer blade could get you in trouble should an LEO opt to hold to the local laws.

Max

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
I know some states (and it could potentially vary by county) restrict blade lengths (could've sworn Cali was one seeing as they restrict just about everything).

In many states where there are blade length restrictions, it's most common that under 3" is allowed, but carrying a knife with a 3" or longer blade could get you in trouble should an LEO opt to hold to the local laws.

Max

Fast feet and a discerning mind will see one to survival much more often than a quick blade wielded by delusion.

That's why I carry a spyderco salt. Quick sharpening for everyday tasks, non threatening, and wont rust.

Lets get back to lights!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Fast feet and a discerning mind will see one to survival much more often than a quick blade wielded by delusion.

That's why I carry a spyderco salt. Quick sharpening for everyday tasks, non threatening, and wont rust.

Lets get back to lights!

That would be good.

Bill

D2000

Enlightened
I carry around my Tri EDC everywhere I go. It's never more than a metre away from me. I've attached it via keychain..
Also I combo it with a Skeletool - I feel like I'm ready for almost any task. Especially at night. The Tri also has a magnet in the tailstand - which does wonders for functionality.

1c1e0cfa12048a5de73ecc372dd26608.jpg

RUSH FAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry around my Tri EDC everywhere I go. It's never more than a metre away from me. I've attached it via keychain..
Also I combo it with a Skeletool - I feel like I'm ready for almost any task. Especially at night. The Tri also has a magnet in the tailstand - which does wonders for functionality.

1c1e0cfa12048a5de73ecc372dd26608.jpg
I like your Tri EDC set up.
Did the light start out as a black coated finish?
Also, where did you get the magnet? How is it affixed to the light? Glue or some type of welding? Thanks--

D2000

Enlightened
Cheers man.

The light did start put with a black cerakote but I put it through so much use I ended up stripping it back. The rings stayed coated as they were unchipped/untarnished and pretty cool looking.

The magnet is from a set a bought a while back specifically for this. They are ring magnets. I'm lucky as it was a perfect press fit and stays in purely which friction. Unfortunately getting it out requires breaking the magnet.

More info in this post..
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...s-EDC-Lights&p=4629789&viewfull=1#post4629789

RUSH FAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cheers man.

The light did start put with a black cerakote but I put it through so much use I ended up stripping it back. The rings stayed coated as they were unchipped/untarnished and pretty cool looking.

The magnet is from a set a bought a while back specifically for this. They are ring magnets. I'm lucky as it was a perfect press fit and stays in purely which friction. Unfortunately getting it out requires breaking the magnet.

More info in this post..
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...s-EDC-Lights&p=4629789&viewfull=1#post4629789
Thanks brother!
Indeed, a very cool mod[emoji41] [emoji363] [emoji106]

Darkus Mingler

Newly Enlightened
I have carried a light on and off for many years. Earlier this year I began carrying a light full time and also began updating my EDC so that I am better prepared for most situations. I now am looking for a light that starts in low mode as many of the things I currently us my light for if the light comes on in high makes it hard to see what you are looking for.

Tom

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have carried a light on and off for many years. Earlier this year I began carrying a light full time and also began updating my EDC so that I am better prepared for most situations. I now am looking for a light that starts in low mode as many of the things I currently us my light for if the light comes on in high makes it hard to see what you are looking for.

Tom
Budget?
Battery type?
Battery configuration? Single cell or multiple cell?
Preferred material (aluminum, plastic, copper, titanium, brass...)
Do you know how low you would like in lumens?
Max lumens needed?
Preferred length?
Carry style? Keychain, headlamp, pocket, belt...

I've got suggestions, I just need more info.

wjv

Enlightened
Leroy Jethro Gibbs Rule #9: "Never go anywhere without a knife."

IamMatt

Newly Enlightened
Another "Why do you carry a flashlight?" Moment

Sigh. We all get asked. Same question if we EDC a knife.

Well last night in Southern California we had hellacious winds. Not sure how bad it got but the weather service said to expect gusts up to 85mph in the mountains.

So around 6:30, the family is eating dinner and suddenly the power goes off and it is pitch black. With households all around panicking and wondering if there are any candles in the junk drawer, I just pulled my light out of my pocket, set it on the table in candle mode, and we continued eating without interruption. It was no more an inconvenience than if I had dropped my napkin on the floor.

After dinner I went to to my desk and grabbed a couple of other lights I had been playing with recently and handed them out to my wife and son. We carried on, watched a movie on the laptop, went to bed, and when we woke up this morning, power had been restored.

And THAT's why I carry a flashlight. BTW, the lights were my trusty LumaPower IncenDio (bought on CPF 5 years ago!), a Fenix P2D, and an ITP A1 EOS.