Wow, why in the world do you carry a flashlight with you?

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Another "Why do you carry a flashlight?" Moment

Always good to be prepared.

What I like is when something like that happens around people not familiar with you and they ask why you carry a flashlight right after the power has just gone out. I just can't help but look at them with a stupid look on my face and refrain from asking if it really matters at that particular moment or if they would just as soon me not have it.

May want to take a look at one of Fenix's lanterns to keep handy for power outages.

Archangel72

Newly Enlightened

Hence why I own

Goal Zero Yeti 150 ( Solar generator )

3 of their Light a life 350 LED hanging lights (chainable)
1 of their light house 250 lanterns ( wished I had waited their lighthouse mini kicks this ones butt for the price )

I do own 3 of their portable solar panels too
one 7 watt one 30 watt and their new 100 watt which is overpriced but hey you get what you pay for as in how many of you own an Iphone.... LOL

I do also have 4 fenix lights and 2 coast lights too
and one Toolvn is on the way ... (does happy dance)

Last edited:

MX421

Enlightened

When did Noah build the Arc?

Before the rain.

+1! LOL

I'm going to use that one.

I didn't have a "i used it, so why ask" moment, but i had this discussion with a neighbor. He said he didn't need a flashlight because he had....wait for it:

"A cell phone".

He went on to say that he not only had the light but could take a picture of it. When i countered that what happened if his battery ran out, he just shrugged and said he had plenty of battery power.

d123

Newly Enlightened

It can even be dark during daylight, just depends where you are. I just remind people of that fact ;).

dmattaponi

Enlightened

Good thread. I just got a couple of new lights for around the house for power outages, etc. Even without a power outage, one thing we can count on is that it's going to get dark every night. My light just got used to walk the dog before bed and give him a few ball tosses.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

+1! LOL

I'm going to use that one.

I didn't have a "i used it, so why ask" moment, but i had this discussion with a neighbor. He said he didn't need a flashlight because he had....wait for it:

"A cell phone".

He went on to say that he not only had the light but could take a picture of it. When i countered that what happened if his battery ran out, he just shrugged and said he had plenty of battery power.

And I thought you were going to say "a bic lighter" lol

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast

It can even be dark during daylight, just depends where you are. I just remind people of that fact ;).

This is something, that seems very hard for people to comprehend. My go to example is what will you do in the bathroom when someone leaves and turns out the lights? Beyond that are stairwells, industrial buildings, malls all of these places don't have windows and people still have a hard time understanding.

IamMatt- we all wait for such times, Lol!

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good one!!

I have been in the mall, when the power went out, I was THE only one with a flashlight. I have been in the back of the supermarket when the power went out, once again, I was only with a flash light when the power went out.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have learned some people will never undated something until they experience it. For the majority of people they don't experience the lack of light often enough to appreciate a dedicated light source. There is a boy in my college class who for the first semester and a half gave me a hard time about always carrying a light. After needing one while working in projects he got a Thrunite Ti4 for his birthday. That was last semester and he finally told me a couple of days ago how handy it is. He now reaches for it anytime he thinks he may need extra light and really appreciates having it.

Poppy

Flashaholic

Great story Matt! :thumbsup:
I have become somewhat enamored with 3 D cell lanterns for power outages, and currently Home Depot is carrying a Defiant 3d extended run-time lantern for a mere $10. One is currently sitting on top of my refrigerator.

LOL bykfixer, I never thought of it like that... but so true! AND appropriate! ;)
Be Prepared, has been my motto for life.

Tech25,
It seems to me, that if I talk about flashlights I feel as though I need to explain myself. BUT, only, If I bring the subject up. I have edc'd a knife for years, and a light for a couple maybe a few years. I don't recall ever being asked... why? Therefore, I don't know what my response would be. I imagine that it would be along the lines of:
shaking my head
shrugging my shoulders,
and asking.... why? (while looking them straight in the eye, and cocking my head, with the implication "you are foolish if you don't")

I had to laugh.
If the light went out in the bath room. I'd still know where the toilet paper was, and I certainly know where my butt is. :) It's been with me all my life! :)

Like most people in first world countries, I carry a smart phone with a flashlight app, so I could find the exit door if needed. But I would have to be pretty mentally impaired to not be able to find my way out of a bath-room if the lights went out and I didn't have a light.

Do we really need elaborate excuses/reasons to carry? beyond it is a helpful tool and "I like to be prepared" for whatever.

ven

Flashaholic

I use a flashlight for more hours in the day than i do at night!

The thoughts of dropping/catching a 5.5" £600 phone screen...........no thanks and its hardly hand friendly either...........or mouth :laughing:.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have been asked why by a bunch of people in EMS ect. I usually don't explain past "I like them" at least until they need to borrow one of mine- yes while the sun is out- nothing like looking for a body in a dark building, that you can smell with your Iphone...

- yes I know where the toilet paper and my butt is.. however in public bathrooms I don't like playing around with my phone and definitely don't like bumping into the dirty surfaces around me. My point of the example is not, that its life saving, just that its convenient.

I don't feel defensive about it and if someone is trying to make fun of it- go ahead its not the weirdest thing that I (or anyone else for that matter) does.

In school, we had a janitor that pretty often would shut the light on his way out- without checking if anyone else was there- at the time my edc was a zebralight H51fw- it never bothered me... as I said convenient.

Poppy

Flashaholic

Tech25,
I'm sorry, my comments didn't come out quite the way that I wanted them to.

I am a huge proponent of auto on power failure lights, and have one in two out of three of our bathrooms at home. Yeah, getting caught with my pants down, is NOT the position I want to be in when the lights go out. :rolleyes:

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast

In addition to "Why do you carry a flashlight?", I also get asked " Why do you need more than one flashlight?"
Sometimes I just ask " have you ever tried to rebuild a car engine with just a single socket?"...Right Tool for the job ...

recDNA

Flashaholic

I always pocket carry a flashlight clipped in my front pocket. Clip is always visible. In some lights tail is visible. I have never once had anybody say a word about my flashlight nor even ask what is clipped in my pocket. When I do discuss my hobby with friends they are horrified by prices but so am I so I don't blame them!

I like to use a flashlight in dimly lit restaurants to read the menu. I'm not a bat. My wife gets really pissed if I do. I have never understood the "romance" of reading and eating things I can't see.

I have been asked why by a bunch of people in EMS ect. I usually don't explain past "I like them" at least until they need to borrow one of mine- yes while the sun is out- nothing like looking for a body in a dark building, that you can smell with your Iphone...

- yes I know where the toilet paper and my butt is.. however in public bathrooms I don't like playing around with my phone and definitely don't like bumping into the dirty surfaces around me. My point of the example is not, that its life saving, just that its convenient.

I don't feel defensive about it and if someone is trying to make fun of it- go ahead its not the weirdest thing that I (or anyone else for that matter) does.

In school, we had a janitor that pretty often would shut the light on his way out- without checking if anyone else was there- at the time my edc was a zebralight H51fw- it never bothered me... as I said convenient.

:huh: Wow! There's an app for that too?!

~ Chance

MX421

Enlightened

Yeah, same conversation as above i mentioned back when i carried a flashlight on and off, the power (and lights) went out on the days (two of them) that i wasn't carrying. After that i started carrying all the time. Of course now I'm neurotic about it....LOL