bugblatter

Newly Enlightened
Re: You will love this NASA flashlight

Wow, nice! I would be interested in the titanium one

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Totally awesome. I want!

What material did they use for NASA? I would assume Aluminum due to weight reasons. But, I could see how they could have used Ti? Anyways, Great work & a really cool tribute too. Thanks.

Maybe my calculations are wrong but on the Apollo XII every gram on the moon had a cost of 3500 US$. Then why did they used brass, which is almost three times the weight of aluminun? The lights being used on Gemini project were similar penlights with 2xAA batteries, and made from aluminum alloy... so why change to a new and heavier design? After the tragedy of the Apollo I probably they wanted a material less flammable (aluminun will be a flare on pure oxygen atmosphere), and spark proof. Is the only reason I can think of. Nowadays they would have choosen titanium, which was not available on that time. (Check the interesting story behind the SR71 Blackbird and how did CIA managed to get the much needed titanium from the USSR).

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast

i would just like to bump my interest. thats a nice runtime graph, just imagine how well an energizer lithium would do. any kind of timeline on this project? seems to be a lot of interest already. id take whichever metal is available first, brass or titanium.

wyoben

Newly Enlightened

Very nice looking lights would be interested in one of them.
You will have to put me down for one of each.

Last edited:

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would like more info please ...

Thank you.

Dear flashaholics.

Next week you will have information with new runtime charts using NiMH batteries, Energizer L91 and all the test done with a using the XPL-HI Warm White Hi CRI. Also IES files if you want to play with them.

Best regards,

Javier

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would like more info please ...

Thank you.

Dear flashaholics.

Next week you will have information with new runtime charts using NiMH batteries, Energizer L91 and all the test done with a using the XPL-HI Warm White Hi CRI. Also IES files if you want to play with them.

Best regards,

Javier

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast

i would just like to bump my interest. thats a nice runtime graph, just imagine how well an energizer lithium would do. any kind of timeline on this project? seems to be a lot of interest already. id take whichever metal is available first, brass or titanium.

I can tell you no later than August if finally we decide to move ahead... Which is something that will happen pretty soon, within two weeks.

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Pictures updated on #1, and some information about the project as well. Thanks for the interest.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast

thanks for the update. looking very much forward to this light!

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Update, new runtime chart added. Circuit improved as well as cooling on LED. This version is using the warm white LED that will be used on production. Incredible nice, warm white with high CRI, and hyper efficient, as it is a Cree XML-HI underdriven at 10% of its maximum output.

Latest posts