You will love this NASA penlight

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: You will love this NASA flashlight

just out of curiosity, why use the xpl- hi if just using a flood optic anyways? whatever reason, im super pumped about this light. hope its released earlier than expected so i can get one to take on vacation with me!

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast

There are a few reasons. One, I buy this kind of LED for other projects, so my purchasing is optimised. Two, you can use it for flood, but also for narrow if you want. Three, underdriving a 10 Watt LED will give you amazing efficiency.
I´ll try to speed up everything!

grinsefalle

Enlightened

Hi Javier,

and again, another project of you which I will keep an eye on!
A beautiful flashlight with spirit and made of a great material.

:thumbsup:
Michael

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast

the outdoor shots just keep adding onto the list of things to love about this light. i think for a single mode light, it seems like the perfect balance between enough light and too much light. nice runtime, no special betteries required, good tint, general use floody beam, and simple to use (on/off)! it certainly calls back to a simpler time of flashlights.

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast

the outdoor shots just keep adding onto the list of things to love about this light. i think for a single mode light, it seems like the perfect balance between enough light and too much light. nice runtime, no special betteries required, good tint, general use floody beam, and simple to use (on/off)! it certainly calls back to a simpler time of flashlights.

An elegant flashlight for a more civilized age...

Thanks for the input. Yes, it is a call back to the past. And regarding the output, if this light was to be used into a capsule, the amount of light I would choose would be much less, like 30 lm or so (enough to read books, write notes, read instruments... ) and that set up would get an incredible runtime, like 15 hour or longer. But for a general use light, 100 lm is a fair amount of flux; I've been walking around the woods during the night and it is a generous amount of light.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you ever made one with 15 or so lumen output I'd definitely buy it.

archimedes

Flashaholic

If you ever made one with 15 or so lumen output I'd definitely buy it.
I agree that 100 - 150 lm is way higher than I would prefer in this type of flashlight.

Maybe 10 - 30 lumens would be a far more useful output for me .... although I'd like it more towards the upper end of that range :shrug:

Last edited:

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your input, gentlemen.

Yes, I absolutely agree that 100 lm is too much for the intended use of the light as it was on the original. I mean, a light made to read instruments, maps, flight plans inside a capsule on an emergency. But again, being absolutely loyal to the original, I should not use an LED and a driver, but a bulb. I even thought the possibility of using a direct drive instead of a driver -which is something I havent discarded- as it will be even more reliable.

But reading or working under such low light conditions is not recommended and we know that this is a real concern of NASA. So the question is: Was 15-20 lm the flux they wanted or just what was possible to achieve?

What I'm trying to get is a balance of the old style outlook and ambience with nowadays technology for the intended use. Sticking as much as possible to the original design is possible, but at the end they are not going to be the original, because they are not. They are made now, in our time. So this is a give and take. I'm using AA batteries which are technologically dated, but I'm keeping the shape as much as possible. I'm using a warm white LED, and a floody lens with high CRI, which is what you need to read or find a cable into a circuit, for example. I'm making the light waterproof, which will make it virtually ATEX certified, which the original was not, giving it more performance, and skipping weak points of the original design. As I said, is a balance, but I don't discard making a lower output one, with a crazy runtime.

Javier

Last edited:

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Deeper knurling and engraving are superb. But still not a word about pricing...

If I'm not saying the price, is not because I don't want to display it, is just because I don't know how much will it cost. Why? Because it is related to many factors which at the moment are not under my control. Anyway, I can give you my goal, which is 99 US$, shipping included, to any place. That would be for the brass version, and around 35-40% higher for the titanium one. But to achieve that goal, I need a mass. I'm working on it.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I'm not saying the price, is not because I don't want to display it, is just because I don't know how much will it cost. Why? Because it is related to many factors which at the moment are not under my control. Anyway, I can give you my goal, which is 99 US$, shipping included, to any place. That would be for the brass version, and around 35-40% higher for the titanium one. But to achieve that goal, I need a mass. I'm working on it.

Thank you so much.

And what about the output: I guess some 50 lm would be an excellent value for a close up reading. Have checked my IYP365 and its 125 lm look blinding at close range.

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you so much.

And what about the output: I guess some 50 lm would be an excellent value for a close up reading. Have checked my IYP365 and its 125 lm look blinding at close range.

luxes are blinding you, not lumens. the 60º TIR I'm using can't produce the effect of the reflector of the Lumintop in your eyes.