You will love this NASA penlight

Randall Foreman

Newly Enlightened
Thank you. What I want to mean with "being different" is that it will have some changes, not important, but the ones who have supported the project deserve having something that will be different, unique.

Extremely cool. I just became a backer! The video nearly brought a tear to my eye. I have been interested in the space program since I was a kid, and grew up loving the Apollo 13 movie. I look forward to my light! :grin2:

Last edited:

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
"You will love this NASA penlight's runtime graph."

Then here you are more: In this case we allowed the alkaline to rest 3 hours when they seemed to be completely depleted. The capacity to self recover is one of the most interesting on the nowadays almost disregarded alkalines.

20h3wgj.jpg

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
ASTM B117, SALT SPRAY TEST

We are testing one Barbolight V04 and samples of the Apollo made from 316 stainless steel, one brass alloy (not the production one, but a new one we wanted to test. Let's see what we have in 100 hours.

11slfg0.jpg

Javier

Randall Foreman

Newly Enlightened
We thought about that possibility, but we are thinking others. We will keep you informed via survey.

Javier

I personally would prefer to have this year's date on it. Like the OP has stated, this isn't so much an exact replica as it is a continuation of sorts. I think having the moon landing dates would be cheesy. Maybe have a special edition some day with an incandescent bulb and the moon landing dates as a closer replica?

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally would prefer to have this year's date on it. Like the OP has stated, this isn't so much an exact replica as it is a continuation of sorts. I think having the moon landing dates would be cheesy. Maybe have a special edition some day with an incandescent bulb and the moon landing dates as a closer replica?

That decision has been made. There was a poll conducted of the backers on kickstarter and the moon landing date was selected. Sounds like getting a current date on a later production light may be an option, but the lights sold through the kickstarter campaign are going to have the moon landing date.

Randall Foreman

Newly Enlightened
That decision has been made. There was a poll conducted of the backers on kickstarter and the moon landing date was selected. Sounds like getting a current date on a later production light may be an option, but the lights sold through the kickstarter campaign are going to have the moon landing date.

I'm cool with it I suppose. Can't wait to have my little space light! I plan to use it on the job. If this thing breaks or a part goes bad inside, will it be repairable? Is it more of a collectors piece that shouldn't be used on the job?

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then here you are more: In this case we allowed the alkaline to rest 3 hours when they seemed to be completely depleted. The capacity to self recover is one of the most interesting on the nowadays almost disregarded alkalines.

20h3wgj.jpg

Are the colors reversed here then? Blue alkaline, white NiMH?

Randall Foreman

Newly Enlightened
Re: You will love this NASA flashlight

I have a question Barbarin, will each flashlight have it's own unique serial number?

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm cool with it I suppose. Can't wait to have my little space light! I plan to use it on the job. If this thing breaks or a part goes bad inside, will it be repairable? Is it more of a collectors piece that shouldn't be used on the job?

Of course it is a working flashlight, as every Barbolight, made to be used and abused. And yes, although some parts are sealed is possible to open them and replace every part needed. Which is on the other hand quite difficult to happen. It is waterproof, has an XPL-HI under driven at 10% of its maximum power, and the power dissipation is over-engineered... But yes, is future proof.

Randall Foreman

Newly Enlightened
Of course it is a working flashlight, as every Barbolight, made to be used and abused. And yes, although some parts are sealed is possible to open them and replace every part needed. Which is on the other hand quite difficult to happen. It is waterproof, has an XPL-HI under driven at 10% of its maximum power, and the power dissipation is over-engineered... But yes, is future proof.

Thank you, that sounds great! I wish you luck in this and future endeavors. I am looking forward to this light!!

arKmm

Enlightened

This is such a brilliant project. BBL you should be proud of what you've accomplished! An excellent example of thinking outside the box and producing an amazing tool.

My only feedback would be that although I understand you can't allow people to individually select what date of manufacture to have on it, or even give a wide range because it'd not be viable, all I'd ask is that you give people the choice of:

A ) the apollo historic date (7-68)
B ) genuine month/year of manufacture

That way everyone can be happy, and it'd still be easy to manage manufacturing wise.

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is such a brilliant project. BBL you should be proud of what you've accomplished! An excellent example of thinking outside the box and producing an amazing tool.

My only feedback would be that although I understand you can't allow people to individually select what date of manufacture to have on it, or even give a wide range because it'd not be viable, all I'd ask is that you give people the choice of:

A ) the apollo historic date (7-68)
B ) genuine month/year of manufacture

That way everyone can be happy, and it'd still be easy to manage manufacturing wise.

Thanks for your kind words. Yes, this kind of polls have some risks... If we send to every people what they have asked, this will result in risk of mesh with the shippings. But we are studying it or offering another option... I will let you know very soon.

Javier

arKmm

Enlightened

Thanks for your kind words. Yes, this kind of polls have some risks... If we send to every people what they have asked, this will result in risk of mesh with the shippings. But we are studying it or offering another option... I will let you know very soon.

Javier

You're welcome. I look forward to hearing what you have planned as the only thing putting me off is the inability to have a genuine manufacture date, but I imagine I am in the minority and most people would prefer the historic date.

Randall Foreman

Newly Enlightened

You're welcome. I look forward to hearing what you have planned as the only thing putting me off is the inability to have a genuine manufacture date, but I imagine I am in the minority and most people would prefer the historic date.

I really would have preferred the real manufacturing date as well, since this isn't really a replica per se. If it had the original incandescent bulb and lens design, sure, but with LEDs and a new company (Barbolight) making them? Doesn't make much sense to me but I suppose people wanted the 1968 date for nostalgia purposes.

I still have my pledge in and want one but someday I would love to buy another if offered with the real date of manufacture! :)

Last edited:

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi all,

We are so happy with the result of the funding campaign, and we have felt so much supported by you all that we have decided that or way of saying thank you is to allow each customer which date will be engraved on his light, real date or 7-1968.

But not just that. We have been working on a version without TIR lens, but with a traditional reflector and a sapphire lens. Well, we have it, and the backers are going to be able to choose from.

Best regards,

Javier