Zebralight SC5c II vs SC53w - a comparison

Enlightened
I had tried the Sc53c more than once and loved everything about it other than the overly yellow tint which started to bug me. This time went with the SC53w and I love it. The tint isn't perfect but much less distracting than the c version. For around the house everyday use, I'm becoming convinced that these little AA Zebras are king.
Exactly my problem with the way ZL has structured their lineup as a hodgepodge of color temperatures. They have 4000K, 5000K, and 5700K with a terrible in-between 4500K in some of the lines that is supposed to satisfy anyone looking for 4000K or 5000K. IMO they really need to go with 4000K as their warm, 5000K as their neutral, and 5700K as their cool with HI, normal, floody as sub options.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly my problem with the way ZL has structured their lineup as a hodgepodge of color temperatures. They have 4000K, 5000K, and 5700K with a terrible in-between 4500K in some of the lines that is supposed to satisfy anyone looking for 4000K or 5000K. IMO they really need to go with 4000K as their warm, 5000K as their neutral, and 5700K as their cool with HI, normal, floody as sub options.

Good point. I much prefer the ZL ~4000K temperature to their ~4500K temperature. I have no idea why they use different tints in their "w" versions, but they should stick with the warm ones.

SKV89

Enlightened
For alot of people 4500k is the ideal neutral temperature. The 4000k SC5c II that I got from Zebralight had horribly ugly green tint. The SC5w II 4500k had far better looking tint. However the XPL2 still had noticeable tint shift and slight hint of green in the corona. 4500k is not a bad color temperature if the tint is close to the BBL line. 5000k is far too cool for me and 4000k may present a hint of warmth that some NW lovers would prefer not to have.

Enlightened
For alot of people 4500k is the ideal neutral temperature. The 4000k SC5c II that I got from Zebralight had horribly ugly green tint. The SC5w II 4500k had far better looking tint. However the XPL2 still had noticeable tint shift and slight hint of green in the corona. 4500k is not a bad color temperature if the tint is close to the BBL line. 5000k is far too cool for me and 4000k may present a hint of warmth that some NW lovers would prefer not to have.
The problem I find is 4500K looks very off if used during the day and at the same time household lighting generally does not come in 4500K (usually 4000K or 5000K are the two options immediately around it) so it looks a little off when used indoors too.

SKV89

Enlightened
Not sure why you would use a flashlight in the day time or when there is already household lighting. If you turn off the lights and use an SC5W II, you will see very pleasant neutral lighting.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure why you would use a flashlight in the day time or when there is already household lighting.

Well, there are plenty of reasons to use a flashlight in the daytime or a lit room, if you're looking for something under a chair or desk where it's dark. Also, outside in the day if you're trying to see under a house eaves or something like that. But, yeah, for general lighting, probably not much use.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
To get back to these lights, The little SC53w I've been using has been a flashlight revelation. It's configurable UI and direct access to basically whatever output you like makes its the most usable light I've ever had and really the ONLY light I need. Yes even my beloved E01s have been put away for the time being and the Malkoffs have been sold off. The tint isn't perfect but it's good enough, and I love the beam pattern. Great light. Glad I finally tried a Zebralight.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just thought a ~1 year later update on what a SC53 does to a duraloop could be useful.

Negative is pretty gouged, but I'm not sure this is really getting deeper, or not as fast as I expected. The first few times it really marks its territory, though. If you care what your battery terminals look like. Despite having more than plenty of batteries to dedicate to abusive flashlights. I'm definitely still not comfortable using 14500s in the SC52 without something like the brass sheet, but not worrying about Eneloops. I have a lot of Chinese NiMH that I figure have less robust steel, if the cheap screwdriver bits are any indication, but I don't use those in Zebralights.

Positive: