ZebraLight SC600 MkII

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Re: ZebraLight SC600 MkII interface and tint observations

I think this should be clarified for people considering the SC600 MkII. How "detectable" a light is depends entirely on the surrounding light and any surface off of which the flashlight's beam is reflecting. I've got an SC600 MkII in my pocket right now, sitting in my office chair in a room whose lighting level is normal for a commercial building. The brightest low setting's detectabiility is moot; I don't need a flashlight to illuminate objects that are already so brightly lit.

However, the "brightest" low mode is easily detectable in a dim room. I watch television on a projector in my basement, and the lights are off because the dimmer the room, the better the picture looks. Even with the projector on , the "brightest" low setting is detectable and after the PJ is turned off, the highest low setting quite bright indeed and I can easily see objects across the room. This is in a house that is never completely dark and with eyes that aren't truly night-adjusted. If I'm in my bedroom with night-adjusted eyes, the "brightest" low setting looks positively blazing, so much so that I usually switch to the secondary low mode that I've programmed. (I prefer the lowest setting.)

Whether the setting is useful (quite a different matter from detectable) is pure personal preference.

Accidently leaving the light on in the lowest setting falls nicely into the "of no consequence" bucket, since it is rated to run about 200 days on that setting. Accidentally leaving the light on turbo while inside your pocket, well, you'll know about that well before the five-minute stepdown occurs. Ask me how I know...

I was at the Outer Banks last week. One night I and my three youngs sons went looking for crabs. The SC600 Mk II is great fun in those circumstances. I don't doubt there are actually 900 lumens pouring out of it in turbo mode and even though it's not a thrower, you can see a loooooong way with this rascal, even at one of the lower "high" settings. The crabs stood no chance and even with the floody nature of this light I could still paint buildings several hundred feet away. It's so bright that I was careful not to shine it into the eyes of anybody who was walking toward us or who was sitting on the sand in the dark.
Really nice post here and worth a thorough read for everyone.

ergotelis

Enlightened
Re: ZebraLight SC600 MkII interface and tint observations

Bought a sc600 mk2, but had a terrible accident....!!!!!:whistle:
bflb.jpg
0rky.jpg

ergotelis

Enlightened
Just completed the most difficult mod i have ever done.(swapped a xm-l2 u2 led). Took me 4 hours. By every mean, i DO NOT suggest to do it unless you are a very experienced modder.

Light is not working after the mod, even though i did my best, but i found the mistake.....:

I put the led the opposite!!!!Please somebody shoot me!!!!!:poke::drunk::twak::dedhorse::xyxgun:

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just completed the most difficult mod i have ever done.(swapped a xm-l2 u2 led). Took me 4 hours. By every mean, i DO NOT suggest to do it unless you are a very experienced modder.

Light is not working after the mod, even though i did my best, but i found the mistake.....:

I put the led the opposite!!!!Please somebody shoot me!!!!!:poke::drunk::twak::dedhorse::xyxgun:

hahahaha! the other day i was reflowing i actually had to bring out the PDF just to make sure. the dot is the negative :D

so you took out the MCPCB? stupid question: no components under the MCPCB?

btw you really didn't have to break the glass :D PM me for more info. zebra will kill me if i told everyone how to do it

29kryn6.jpg

ak9wl4.jpg

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you swap the LED for one with a better tint? This green/purple from my MKII is enough to make me puke :(

Do you get more output from a LED swap too? Why not use U3?

<- flashlight noob.

-Jamie M.

we'd have to wait for ergotelis. i wasn't brave enough to mod it. i chickened out when i saw that integrated mcpcb driver board :D

ergotelis

Enlightened
I will continue my effort tomorrow.
Overclocker, I think I found another way too to remove the glass without breaking it, it was too fun!!!the other details via pm :D
I didn't remove the mpcb, but I removed the switch and every plastic part the flashlight has.
the mod seems to be successful.I used 2 different soldering irons and an air heat gun
more to come tomorrow!!!

Nicola

Newly Enlightened
About the tint:

I bought a Fenix E15 (XP-E), so I wanted to compare its beam to my pocket rocket SC600MkII
(just for understand the differences in brightness, spot, spill, flood, etc...).

Well, it happened the E15 tint made the SC600MkII ashamed.

Anyway, after the comparison was ended, the SC600MkII was back to its proud status of pocket rocket and the its tint "was back to" ok. :D

Conclusion: SC600MkII is a wonderful torch and its tint is "ok", but it's better not to use it for tint comparison with anything. :D

trgrhppy

Newly Enlightened
I just received my SC600 MK11 today. I had looked at size comparison photos, but it is still smaller than I had anticipated! So much light from a small package!
Tint is acceptable, and an AW 2900 mAh battery fits nicely. Finish is good, and the pocket clip seems to work as was intended.
I am happy with it!

Nicola

Newly Enlightened
I have to tell you this story:

I had dinner with some friends, we were at a restaurant under one of those big outdoor umbrellas used to keep you from moisture in a summer night.

I was showing the SC600 to my friend, he wanted to see "how much light can come out from that thing", so I pointed it from the table to the umbrella and pulled the trigger.

Suddenly a loud voice coming from another table: "Naaaah, that's incredible!" LOL!

I don't know who it was, but he was surely impressed! :D

It was really funny.

toysareforboys

Enlightened
I have to tell you this story:

I had dinner with some friends, we were at a restaurant under one of those big outdoor umbrellas used to keep you from moisture in a summer night.

I was showing the SC600 to my friend, he wanted to see "how much light can come out from that thing", so I pointed it from the table to the umbrella and pulled the trigger.

Suddenly a loud voice coming from another table: "Naaaah, that's incredible!" LOL!

I don't know who it was, but he was surely impressed! :D

It was really funny.
Awesome story :)

When people haven't seen any of these new high power LED lights they are truly blown away. I showed one of my friends and his dad said "pffft, I got one that's brighter". Lugs out this massive flashlight, battery out of a CAR attached to it. Fires it up, lol! MKii blew it away in both throw and brightness :)

-Jamie M.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for my bad English
I was thinking to buy Zebra SC600 MKII, do you think this model is "stable" or there might be some updates or upgrades in the near future? (update in the immediate future)
I would not buy and then find out that after a series improved.
Thanks

(Translated with Google translator)