• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

ZrayVN - Pocket Zoomie (Must Have)

tcglog

Newly Enlightened
Re: New Light Released Tonight!

Question: is the xml2 dedomed zoomed out beam the same size as xpg2 dedome? Also how much faster does the xml2 get hot vs the xpg? Thinking whether I should order yet another one :)

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast

I really like this light, but the level options unfortunately don't work for me. I'd like a simple 25-60-100 or 50-100. That would fit my needs perfectly...

lumentia

Enlightened

I really like this light, but the level options unfortunately don't work for me. I'd like a simple 25-60-100 or 50-100. That would fit my needs perfectly...
I know it's not exactly what you're looking for but if you programmed the driver vn for mode 16 as shown below:

5 Modes
13. 1% - 5% - 15% - 40% - 100% | Memory
14. 1% - 5% - 15% - 40% - 100% | No Memory
15. 100% - 40% - 15% - 5% - 1% | Memory
16. 100% - 40% - 15% - 5% - 1% | No Memory

With no memory the last 2 or 3 brightness settings would essentially stay hidden unless you want them. It just takes anything more than a 1 second pause at off to get around them and reset back to high. You never have to use the last modes really if you don't mind starting on high.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast

I know it's not exactly what you're looking for but if you programmed the driver vn for mode 16 as shown below:

5 Modes
13. 1% - 5% - 15% - 40% - 100% | Memory
14. 1% - 5% - 15% - 40% - 100% | No Memory
15. 100% - 40% - 15% - 5% - 1% | Memory
16. 100% - 40% - 15% - 5% - 1% | No Memory

With no memory the last 2 or 3 brightness settings would essentially stay hidden unless you want them. It just takes anything more than a 1 second pause at off to get around them and reset back to high. You never have to use the last modes really if you don't mind starting on high.

Thanks lumentia. I looked at these DriverVN modes, but I already have several lights where I have to click past unwanted levels and although brief, the process never fails to irritate me.

I'm mulling the single mode, but would have to carry another light to cover lower output needs.

b8llzblue

Flashlight Enthusiast

How many lumens do you think the single mode version on flood mode to be? 1000+ lumens?

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks lumentia. I looked at these DriverVN modes, but I already have several lights where I have to click past unwanted levels and although brief, the process never fails to irritate me.

I'm mulling the single mode, but would have to carry another light to cover lower output needs.

I completely understand your reluctance...the user interface is probably the single most important feature of a light. If it is annoying to use, doesn't matter how good it is otherwise.

Have you used an aspheric light before? I've found that any light with any kind of hotspot is too bright in many cases...but a completely even flood beam is much more forgiving, since the lumens are distributed over a much larger area, and therefore do not create the intensity/glare like reflector-based lights. Obviously if you need to preserve night vision, it will be too bright, but it won't be blinding...something to think about, anyway. As usual, the devil is in the details.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would prefer a warmer outdoor tint, like 4000K or warmer. Which LED/dome option do I choose? Also does dedoming add artifacts to the beam? Thanks!

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought there was a 2mode option on the driverVN?
2 modes would be perfect on this light imho ;)

EDIT
ahh there is.
10% usually looks more like 25% of MAX brightness due to efficiency loss at higher currents.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast

I completely understand your reluctance...the user interface is probably the single most important feature of a light. If it is annoying to use, doesn't matter how good it is otherwise.

Have you used an aspheric light before? I've found that any light with any kind of hotspot is too bright in many cases...but a completely even flood beam is much more forgiving, since the lumens are distributed over a much larger area, and therefore do not create the intensity/glare like reflector-based lights. Obviously if you need to preserve night vision, it will be too bright, but it won't be blinding...something to think about, anyway. As usual, the devil is in the details.

I have had aspherics (with diffusers also), but in addition to brightness with single mode, another concern is battery life if used nightly for walks.

RE: 10 & 100% mode: Unfortunately a 10% level isn't enough for my needs.

lumentia

Enlightened

I ordered one of these with a neutral tint, dome on and driverVN. When it comes in, I'll let yall know if starting on high with no mode memory really works well on this light. The idea on a light with short reset off times like this one is that you never have to see the modes you don't want and bypass them by simply turning the light off for a sec which resets it back to high next time it comes back on.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I'm sorry if I missed it but what is highest level amp draw with xml2 vs xpg2? Thanks

lumentia

Enlightened
5+ amps is fantastic whats that in led lumen

Match's chart shows about 1600 led lumen if on copper sinkpad. I'm not sure what bin that was, but it was probably some of the first xml2s to come out. Surely u3 would do better than that.

tcglog

Newly Enlightened

Question: is the xml2 dedomed zoomed out beam the same size as xpg2 dedome? Also how much faster does the xml2 get hot vs the xpg? Thinking whether I should order yet another one :)

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

Pics are in the second post. Vinh has the XM-L2 and XP-G2 (both de-domed) side by side...the XM-L2 hotspot is quite a bit larger, as you would expect since it has a larger die.