• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

ZrayVN - Pocket Zoomie (Must Have)

alex21

Newly Enlightened
For single battery lights:
In all cases the positive end ( + ) points towards the emitter.
In all cases the netative ( - ) touches the spring.

Happy to be corrected, then I learn!

Cheers mate,
Yeah thats what I've always been told.. cept here inside the tube behind the head is what looks iike a spring in lieu of contact. Just wanna be sure as to not kill the light

Cheers mate,
Yeah thats what I've always been told.. cept here inside the tube behind the head is what looks iike a spring in lieu of contact. Just wanna be sure as to not kill the light

I have a non vn Zray and it works with positive towards the emitter, enjoy the light, one of the best BFYB lights you can get.

alex21

Newly Enlightened
Used mine for a bit last night before I dozed off. Tonight it won't turn on anymore.. it just won't click in and the solid metal spring(?) seems loose. Also the zoom feature is flaky.. it pushes out ok but when I try to push it back in it keeps floating up (not sure if its that piston affect at work playing games).. takes a few goes to get it back to full flood.. which isn't as big as I was hoping. The sandblasting certainly looks cool and textured but agree it hasn't done much to counter rings.. was hoping for a clean solid square. Maybe this has something to do with the zoom on mine. Kinda disappointed with this birthday present for myself lol. Happy to make a video.. need to do one for a dodge controller on a quadcopter I got recently. Excellent tint and no scratches/dings at all on my copy.

taubada

Newly Enlightened
Got my ZrayVn yesterday and have tested it out over a couple of nights now. My sample is a U3 PDTc single mode, free from any external blemishes and the only thing that I could remotely be critical of is the feel of the clicky switch...! However, I can see Vinh has done some work on the switch, so untill something goes wrong with it, I have no reason to be worried..., and I'm not...! Running an Efest 35a hi discharge, so I am assuming the light is running "as hot", as it can...! Absolutely no artefacts in the beam, (surprisingly), a pleasant creamy neutral, even tint and very..., very bright...! By eye...., I would suggest around the 40k lux mark with a bright flood when zoomed in. Not what I would call a true EDC, but small enough and light enough to be comfortably pocketable. Yes, this would have started out as a budget host, but I reckon what Vinh has done to this host, is turn it into an excellant pocket zoomie, the likes of which I have not seen before. This really is a very useable general purpose torch, that surprisingly, (considering I've not been a lover of aspherics in the past), I like very much. A true "diamond in the rough", well done..., again, Vinh.

engineeringmatt09

Enlightened
Totally love my Zray!!!! Been using for awhile now and great little light. I purchased the sand blasted head and tailcap options, awsome look and feel!

My set up is single mode U3 PDTc, i also added some glow in the dark o-rings to outside body, and it makes it look even better :)

Here are some pics
Hope you guys enjoy!!!! :party:

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have mixed feelings about this light.

First, I think that generally, this kind of zoomie is the best type of an outdoor light, period.

Optically, ZrayVN amazed me. I could never imagine that a zooming aspherical can provide such a perfect artifact free beam at ALL zoom settings. It is better than that of my Sundrop, that is a fixed aspherical. True revelation, indeed. The 4000K dedomed LED outputs a great, incand-like beam. I don't think that it has a high formal CRI, but I am very happy about the color rendition and it is just very very pleasant. And again, the tint is very uniform across the beam.

Now, mechanically, this light feels quite cheap even by chinese standards, but I can accept this. Vinh never claimed otherwise, so in this part I made an informed decision. But really, such a great optical design does deserve a better build quality. If such a zoomie existed, made by SF mechanical standards, I'd buy it regardless of price.

The tail switch is a disaster. If anyone can explain me the need for a reverse clicky in such a light, I'd be really appreciated. I wonder if it can be replaced by a normal clicky, any ideas?

Finally, the driver. I bought a single mode light which is pretty convenient but the light gets too hot too fast. The multimode version makes me wonder. Hey, there are great fully programmable drivers out there, see what Tana is using these days. Why this strange driver?

To sum up, if there were a normal clicky tail replacement plus a modern programmable driver, I'd say that this light is a real revolution in outdoor lights.

P.S. Some of the artifacts outside the beam are caused by reflections by the grease inside the head. I think that if it is an issue, adding some graphite or another matte powder would help

Last edited:

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vinh, cant catch you via PM. Do you have more hosts? I'd like to experiment with an XPG2 version.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Email is always the fastest way to get me. I am slow on PMs soemtimes. yes I have more hosts :)

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the beam profile on this light - useful at all zoom and flood ranges, unlike my Coast HP5 and HX5, which are only good quality at full flood and full zoom. The tint looks very nice, also.

Do you have any variations that are physically smaller?

gsteve

Enlightened
I haven't received any of your skylumens emails in a while. Are you still sending them out?

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vinh, what is the LED of choice for these zoomies today? Also how do you compare beam quality of this and WowTac A3vn?

Last edited:

alex21

Newly Enlightened
I agree. Very nice light. Especially with the extras, sandblasting etc
Unfortunately, mine came with DOA switch.
Never did bother chasing it up.. can I use a stock switch on the Zrayvn? I think I bought one of the stock models from the only place that had it.. can't remember where or if they sell more..
Had to fiddle with switch to get it to click few times I tried it.. performance very nice though.. sunlighty cri and artifact free!

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
This one has the widest wide among all the zoomies I have tried.

Will drop him a message