Damn, no Sten in the mail today :(

Did you ship it via USPS Jon?

Oh well, maybe tomorrow.

~John

vtunderground

Enlightened
Re: Headlamp

JonSidneyB said:
The reflectored version was tested in a cave against the standard version.

With the reflectored version, did you find the spot in the beam to be distracting? The only complaint I have about my current caving headlamp (Pelican 2630) is that even though it has a nice wide & bright spill beam, the spot is still bright enough to be distracting in some passages (as in, my eyes keep getting drawn to the spot in the beam, as opposed to the ground ahead of me).

jtice

Flashaholic

The Stenlight equiped with the Prototype Reflectors arrived today.

Here are my first impressions.
1. MUCH smoother beam than any of the optics I have found.
2. Much wider Spill, and alittle brighter.
3. Brighter Hotspot, throws better.

I hope to do some testing in the caves this Sunday.
But after testing it out in the house, garage, and out in the yard,
I am very impressed, and like the reflectors better overal.

Bare in mind, I have 25 and 6 Degree optics in my Stenlight.
This is NOT stock, which is 15 and 5 degree optics.
But, My optics setup is better than the stock setup, IMO.
It has a brighter spot, and little wider flood.

The Reflectors take that further, with a tighter spot, and much wider spill.
In the garage, and in the yard, the hotspot is perfect, it opens up just enough, but still has good throw.
The flood starts getting really wide, and I noticed it improved perefrial vision.

Some that dont like a tight spot may not like the reflectors as much,
the optics make wider spots, but they bother me, due to their odd shapes, and artifacts.
Alot of that is personal preference.
Bottom line?
If Jon makes these a reality, I will definately be replacing my optics !
If I were to be extremely picky, which I am, I would add a slight corona around the spot, to make the transition to spill smoother.
But, that would be at the expence of throw I figure.
Again, personal preference.

One to the Beamshots !!!!!

Notice the optics version has a lopsided beam. Since there are two different optics in it.
sten_beam_desk.jpg

sten_beam_room.jpg

sten_beam_shape.jpg

sten_beam_door.jpg

~John

dbedit

Newly Enlightened

They do look good I cant wait to hear the report of how these work for you. There is a very noticable difference in the beam shots you posted for sure. Snap a few pics in the cave if you can, I would love to see the reflectors in action.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice beam shots John, the reflectors look like they have a little larger more even hot spot that fades into a corona where the optics transition from spot to flood with little or no corona.

In the shots of the white sheet it easy to see this but then the optics looks to be illuminating more of the room to the sides and ceiling :shrug: that's the way it looks to me. Any way to set your light meter up to the side of the room and see what kind or reading you get and have you tried the reflectors in your Sten to see if the results are the same? It's obvious the tint is different in the two Sten's I'm just wondering if one may be a little brighter or the tint is throwing me off.

Later
Kelly

Last edited:

jtice

Flashaholic

The white sheet shot is a bit misleading,
I should have had the lights closer to the sheet, or Ideailly, given more room, the camera back further.

You are not really seeing the edge of the reflectors spill there,
thats just wide enough to see the optics spill, which is much more narrow, and brighter toward the center.

The optics seem to have very little flood, its mostly corona toward the outter edge.

The reflector spill might be sliiiiightly dimmer, but its alot wider.

Once I went out in the garage, and in the yard, it was no contest, I liked the Reflectors better.

~John

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks John, that's what I was looking for..........Now I just hope the cut down reflectors will fit in the Apex as I'm not much of an optic fan, this could be the upgrade I have been looking for :grin2:

Later
Kelly

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast

jtice said:
If I were to be extremely picky, which I am, I would add a slight corona around the spot, to make the transition to spill smoother.
~John
Couldn't that be achieved by using one reflector and one optic?
You would lose some brightness in the spill, but you add some corona.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast

Heavier stippling or orange peel will give a better corona and transition to spill, but at the expense of the hotspot. It all depends on Don's design goals.

Boricle

Newly Enlightened

Just when I thought I'd be able to avoid buying more light related things!

Looks really good. There will be at least one order from Australia when these are ready!

Cheers,

Boricle.

vtunderground

Enlightened

wasBlinded said:
Heavier stippling or orange peel will give a better corona and transition to spill, but at the expense of the hotspot. It all depends on Don's design goals.

Yeah, it'd be interesting to see the difference with a heavily textured reflector.

jtice

Flashaholic

Well, the light is on its way back to Jon today.

I didnt get a chance to take it caving :( buddies had to work this weekend.

One of the best things about having the 2 LED setup, is the fact that you can swap the optics and make many different beam combinations.
And this is all personal preference, so yes, having one optic and one reflector might be best for some people.

The Reflectos had wider flood than the 25 defree optics,
so thats a given, that they are better then the 25s,
spill is very important to me when caving, so I think the 2 reflectors adding their spill would be best for me,
and I still have a spot for throw.
If you dont like a tight spot, and want a whider one, and dont mind giving up some spill brightness,
then a reflector/optic combo might be best for you.

~John

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast

What no passaround? I'll be caving June 9th-10th, hint hint.

JTICE, this is for not taking it underground :whoopin:

JSB, You ought to send it on the the Stenlight guys, unless of course you want a JSB/CPF exclusive!

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got to try my Stenlight for the first time two nights ago (flashlight season is over where I live, so it was not dark enough for optimal testing even at 2 am). I was hiking up and down a steep mountain, and the one thing I missed was sidespill, so I'm definitly going to get the reflectors if you are going to sell them.

Sigbjoern

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

How about a heavy stipple and the orange peel shown. That would give a lot of options. 2 OP, 1 each, 2 stipple, optic + OP, etc.

I suspect I'll want one OP and one stipple, to give a lot of spread but also a definite hotspot.

Bill

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

stippling...I think I saw out here to add stippling to a reflector as a do it yourself thing?

jtice

Flashaholic

I got to do a caving trip over the weekend, felt great to be back at it, it had been alittle while.

My buddy Ben has a Stenlight also, he still has the stock optics in it. (15 and 5 degree)
I have 25 and 6 degree optics in mine.

We spend a good bit of time trading off and trying out each others setups.
his is a large spot, with not much spill.
Mine is a much tighter spot, with some sill light. Much closer to the reflectors beam type.

We had a very hard time picking which we liked better.
I like the wider spill that mine had, but I also liked his real wide hotspot.
His would light up a larger area in front of you, but didnt have the throw that mine did.
I was on Medium most the time, kicking to high in some larger rooms, and using low when we took breaks.
I think his having less throw, might have made me us high more than I would have to with mine.

You simply cant win, period.
If you widen the spot you loose throw. So its hard to get the shape you want, while still keeping the brightness and throw you want.
The reflectors manage the lumens better, so I think you could widen the spot more with a reflector, and still keep some throw.
I think I may play around with the optics in mine again,
I think overal, I liked the wider spot better, but maybe not quite as wide as his stock Sten. I would like to keep just little more throw.

~John