4 Cree Light !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dulridge

Enlightened
Last edited:

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
With DX, you should be willing to give up the DX points and order each item individually. Don't even add 99cent item to round up to ten dollar multiple. One of my order had a magnet order. They send me 5 magnet and an IOU on the rest of the 5! But they did ship the rest of the magnets later.

- Vikas

mac66

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm - 279 posts and not a single beamshot? Well mac66 I can't say about this light as I don't own it and haven't read all this thread - just looked through it for a beamshot. But if I was using a light for SAR I'd probably go with something different. And yes you'll find a ton of lights that would be better for you both in terms of brightness and efficiency and longer runtime. Google search may help or start a thread with that question. I'd first look for something that runs on 18650 rechargeable batteries - one of the best for runtime and performance/power. There are a lot of lights that can use this battery including the older Surefire U2's (if you can find one that would be a good choice but a bit higher priced). Take a look around www.dealextreme.com and you'll see a lot of choices. Slow shipping but best prices. Look at the Tiablo A9, A8 and Dereelights, also Lumapower.

I've bought a few things from dealextreme. The problem is there are too many choices.

big beam

Enlightened
Hey brightnorm
I told DX that I don't have a DC and even if I did I don't know how to post pics.They wanted a pic of the shipping envelope but it got pitched out weeks ago.I stated my problem with the old ticket system and in the middle they changed systems.(You can't submit a problem with your order without pics with the new system) so I'm just SOL.
DON:crazy:

forrest

Newly Enlightened
I`m getting ready to order one of these 4 cree's, just wanted to be sure that using protected 18650's fit without any issues, and what charger do you guys recommend for the protected 18650's,I was looking at the ultafire 3.6/3.7 sku1251. Do you think this is a nice unit? this is a great forum and I have the "flashlight bug!" Thanx for the help!

dulridge

Enlightened
I`m getting ready to order one of these 4 cree's, just wanted to be sure that using protected 18650's fit without any issues, and what charger do you guys recommend for the protected 18650's,I was looking at the ultafire 3.6/3.7 sku1251. Do you think this is a nice unit? this is a great forum and I have the "flashlight bug!" Thanx for the help!

No trouble at all with protected or unprotected 18650s here - they all fit. In fact they fit far better than RCR123 cells.

I use that charger, it is currently charging a pair of protected 18650s from the 4 Cree light. It is alleged to overcharge unprotected cells, but mine doesn't - RCR123 cells at 4.17V after 8hr charging (I fell asleep).

forrest

Newly Enlightened
Thanx dulridge! I.m going to make the plunge on this light and accessories, I'm sure it will out shine my stinger hp's, look forward to getting it!

dulridge

Enlightened
I think you will enjoy it - I certainly like mine and it sounds like the more recent ones are brighter. I got mine when they first appeared on DX.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Hey brightnorm
I told DX that I don't have a DC and even if I did I don't know how to post pics.They wanted a pic of the shipping envelope but it got pitched out weeks ago.I stated my problem with the old ticket system and in the middle they changed systems.(You can't submit a problem with your order without pics with the new system) so I'm just SOL.
DON:crazy:
Very frustrating!

BN

W-c.Scenario

Newly Enlightened
You can easily mod it if your brand of batteries dont fit,
remove the thingie in the main tube like in the pics below, more info here ->Link<-

r0011257.jpg

r0011258.jpg

Xak

Enlightened
I ordered one along with a couple other lights on Jan 11th. I got the other 2, but still haven't gotten the 4 Cree. They said they were backordered and gave me an estimate of 2/25. Haven't heard a thing still. Ordered a couple $13 lights from that other Chinese site "Kaidomain" or something weeks ago because it said "ready to ship in 1 to 2 days", and they told me they were sending it the other day after I ordered it weeks ago! Not ordering from China anymore. Gonna wait till America catches up with the new technology, pay more, and buy American!

magudaman

Newly Enlightened
I finished the bike light modification on the light tonight and went for my first ride with it. Let me first say "I LOVE IT!" This light is so great when it is attached to your head. I honestly feel it is very close to a perfect spot beam for a head mounted bike light. I showed to light to a fellow biker friend tonight and he said that he wants one, so were building another.

As for the mod I built the adapter so that it can be unscrewed and re-inserted if I wanted to use the flashlight in a normal 123a style again. The two contact surfaces are made out of copper wire and copper pipe. I was able to attach wire direct to those two points. The plastic sections are made from 1/2 in sprinkler parts from home depot.

adapterkk8.jpg

img4180pp9.jpg

Overall this set is very sturdy and easy to love. I used the mount brackets off of a niterider classic to make sturdy helmet mount. It is far brighter than my dads recently purchased niterider Minewt x2 light and around a 1/3 the cost. Great mod!

overviewmt1.jpg

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not a fanatic like many of you guys, I have a 25 year old rechargeable Mag light, a rechargeable Brinkman and a couple other lights so my question about the light in this thread is comparing it to the lights I have.

1. How would this 4 Cree light compare to my Magcharger in terms of throw, brightness, weight, length?

2. I recently got involved in search and rescue (SAR) as a volunteer. Would this Cree light be good for that purpose. Of is there something better. Kind of looking to get the same bang as the Magcharger but in a smaller/lighter package.

mac66,

I have a new MagCharger. I suppose this model is quite equal as yours.
If the stated brightness of this 4Cree is true it will easy outperform the MagCharger when it comes to total brightness. The MagCharger is a great thrower when focuse the beam, however (outperforms the Tiablo A9 and likely all other LED-throwers), and will easy outperform the 4Cree light when it comes to throw.
This 4Cree is more light weight and compact than the MagCharger.

Regards, Patric

Vermonter73

Enlightened
I finished the bike light modification on the light tonight and went for my first ride with it. Let me first say "I LOVE IT!"

Looks good! Thanks for the ideas. I bought this light with the plan of using it on the bars. Seems a bit heavy for the helmet, and I find that only having a helmet light hurts my depth perception. Now that I've played with it a bit, I'm going to be ordering more of them. It's a real bargain at $50, even if I have to wait a month for my order.

magudaman

Newly Enlightened
It sounds like you already have your light but I think the beam is pretty tight if you were to try using it as handle bar mounted. You might need to find a way to defuse it some. I have went on 3 ride with mine so far and also think it is an amazing bargain.

Photon_Whisperer

Newly Enlightened
Wow, just spent an 2 hours reading this thread. Maybe having mine backordered was a good thing:party:

I can't help but laugh though, people debating whether it's worth it to spend $50 on a well machined Al bodied light, with 4 Q4 LEDs, that puts out 300-500 lumens:drool:Lighting has come a long way:)

Status
Not open for further replies.