Actual Lumens readings in 6" dia. Lab Sphere IS with SC 5500 control

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbp

Enlightened
I half way think Gman's is a fluke. We have 2 IS measurements at 160-171 and 1 measurement at 200+. We need a larger sample-size me thinks. If I had my X300 still, I would have sent that also.

But with what instrumentation and calibration reference?

seattlite

Enlightened
I half way think Gman's is a fluke. We have 2 IS measurements at 160-171 and 1 measurement at 200+. We need a larger sample-size me thinks. If I had my X300 still, I would have sent that also.

I posted this in the other E2DL thread:

I have both a one level E2DL Head and a KX2C. I don't have the sophisticated measurement equipment as the gman, but I do have a light meter and a "box". My un-scientific measurements of both heads resulted in the KX2C having 20% more light output than the E2DL head. Both lights were using the same brand of 3.7V RCR123's and I switched the paired cells and re-measured.

The KX2C seems to be a whiter than my warmer E2DL head....just the opposite of gman's test samples.

I also have a X300, but have not yet made any comparisons.

N/Apower

Enlightened
I posted this in the other E2DL thread:

I have both a one level E2DL Head and a KX2C. I don't have the sophisticated measurement equipment as the gman, but I do have a light meter and a "box". My un-scientific measurements of both heads resulted in the KX2C having 20% more light output than the E2DL head. Both lights were using the same brand of 3.7V RCR123's and I switched the paired cells and re-measured.

The KX2C seems to be a whiter than my warmer E2DL head....just the opposite of gman's test samples.

I also have a X300, but have not yet made any comparisons.

My X300 was warmer than my KX2C.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
New test results are now posted for a second and different KX2C head on my E2DL provided by N/A Power, Also his TNVC module in a Solarforce Host with AR glass and just for grins also in a SureFire 6P bezel.

And just because I can, I put my original Malkoff M60 in my new Surefire C2 Centurion Host and remeasured it. So these readings are posted.

It would be interesting to see what the new Malkoff MC-E's read in the Solarforce host with AR glass.

N/Apower

Enlightened
New test results are now posted for a second and different KX2C head on my E2DL provided by N/A Power, Also his TNVC module in a Solarforce Host with AR glass and just for grins also in a SureFire 6P bezel.

And just because I can, I put my original Malkoff M60 in my new Surefire C2 Centurion Host and remeasured it. So these readings are posted.

It would be interesting to see what the new Malkoff MC-E's read in the Solarforce host with AR glass.

Thanks!

Questions: Could the body/tail-cap used modify the output of a KX2C head?
Would the TNVC have been brighter using primaries?

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks!

Questions: Could the body/tail-cap used modify the output of a KX2C head?
Would the TNVC have been brighter using primaries?

If there were resistance issues due to old and corroded material, possibly, my unit is of course brand new and also My head has very high readings with this body tail cap combo so it would be hard to blame them.

The TNVC and most other modules that take various voltages should not have a higher output with lower voltage. The voltage used from 2X17500 which is somewhere between 7.4 to 8V under load is right in the middle of the voltage range you told me it works at.

At 6.0V it draws 0.64A, 3.84 Watt at 9.0V it was drawing 0.45A 4.05watts. Certainly shouldn't be brighter at 6V not that 0.16 watts difference would be noticeable. I ran it back and forth from 6 to 10V on my DC power supply quickly and saw no change in brightness at all. This is not a bright module. I hope it wasn't expensive.

N/Apower

Enlightened
If there were resistance issues due to old and corroded material, possibly, my unit is of course brand new and also My head has very high readings with this body tail cap combo so it would be hard to blame them.

The TNVC and most other modules that take various voltages should not have a higher output with lower voltage. The voltage used from 2X17500 which is somewhere between 7.4 to 8V under load is right in the middle of the voltage range you told me it works at.

At 6.0V it draws 0.64A, 3.84 Watt at 9.0V it was drawing 0.45A 4.05watts. Certainly shouldn't be brighter at 6V not that 0.16 watts difference would be noticeable. I ran it back and forth from 6 to 10V on my DC power supply quickly and saw no change in brightness at all. This is not a bright module. I hope it wasn't expensive.

The unit retails for $44 :thinking: and has a cult following on AR15.com

Several times I asked the distributor (Tactical Night Vision Company) for lumen output and/or Amp draw. No information was provided me other than run-time.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
MrGman,

I purchased a Malkoff MD2 Flashligt hosts and a Malkoff MC-E Warm on direct drive. I already have the P60 drop-in, but now I have to wait till tommorow for Gene to ship out the MD2. If you are interested I can ship it out for you to test it and return shipping too.

The MC-E on DD Gene said pulls 3.5amp draw and the MD2 hosts requires no bezel with his P60 drop-in the Lumens should be 700 to 1000. The 3.5amp draw drops to 2.8amp draw after 10 minutes or so.

Pm me if you are interested in this set-up, I can send you both the MD2 and the MC-E dd next week.

Last edited:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
N/A Power, I feel for ya. I had the Uniq Q5 that was supposed to be hot and was rather disappointing. I had the Lumens Factory newest D26 LED Module that was also mediocre. Matter of fact that stinking unit died and I was so disappointed in it I just took the reflector off of it and put it on a Dereelight unit and didn't bother to try and send it back for repair. Figured even if they sent me a new one just like it I wouldn't want to bother to put it in any of my hosts. I like My Malkoff's, Dereelights, and the original low budget Solarforce R2 modules, no troubles or complaints with those.

So far the only name brand drop in pills that I like and trust are Malkoff and Dereelights. That's from personal use and abuse. I have tested others that I have never even mentioned here because they were worthless as well and didn't survive long enough to even make it into the Sphere of Truth. Its usually the driver circuit that stinks, cheap quality parts and very poor construction so they don't hold up, but that is another story for some where else. G.

N/Apower

Enlightened
N/A Power, I feel for ya. I had the Uniq Q5 that was supposed to be hot and was rather disappointing. I had the Lumens Factory newest D26 LED Module that was also mediocre. Matter of fact that stinking unit died and I was so disappointed in it I just took the reflector off of it and put it on a Dereelight unit and didn't bother to try and send it back for repair. Figured even if they sent me a new one just like it I wouldn't want to bother to put it in any of my hosts. I like My Malkoff's, Dereelights, and the original low budget Solarforce R2 modules, no troubles or complaints with those.

So far the only name brand drop in pills that I like and trust are Malkoff and Dereelights. That's from personal use and abuse. I have tested others that I have never even mentioned here because they were worthless as well and didn't survive long enough to even make it into the Sphere of Truth. Its usually the driver circuit that stinks, cheap quality parts and very poor construction so they don't hold up, but that is another story for some where else. G.

I had suspected for some time after buying a few more lights, that the TNVC module was behind the curve.

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had TNVC P60 Q5 rated at 250 lumens out the front. The TNVC had a huge donut, but outside the donut there was not much light compared to the Malkoff. The vender affirmed it was at least 250 lumens out the front. Pictures taken with a digital camera with flash turned off, but we all know digital cameras adjust more favorable to Malkoff drop-ins.:laughing::crackup::laughing:

Edit: I didn't want to point this out, but the TNVC Q5 suddently stopped working on me. Just took it out for a walk in the park once (30 min). Then put a pair of fully charged cr123 took these pictures and then no go. I sent it back to vendor and that was the last time I ever played around with the TNVC Q5. I babied the drop-in and it failed on its own. TNVC said the failed Q5 I got was a rare and limited case that had only occured a few times. For $45 dollars that is a few times too many.

The M60 on Left and TNVC Q5 on Right.
PB160004-1.jpg
PB160001-3.jpg

Up close the beam of the M60 left and TNVC Right
PB160002-1.jpg
PB160004.jpg

Last edited:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
fix the pictures. I only see 2 of 4 showing up. Two others are X's in boxes.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang! I knew my E2DL was a lottery winner but wow! 180 - 203 lumens. The E2DL is a killer light. I was thinking of selling it but I think I'll hold on to it now!

N/Apower

Enlightened
Dang! I knew my E2DL was a lottery winner but wow! 180 - 203 lumens. The E2DL is a killer light. I was thinking of selling it but I think I'll hold on to it now!

Lol, this E2DL/X300/KX2C seems to be the LS1 of the flashlight world.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just posted readings of 3 flashlights/modules from Bigchelis. Since the flashlights he gave me are so small, 1 is a 3" long unit custom mode with only a 13640 battery to run it I shall have to nickname him "little" Chelis.

I tested his Nailbender P7 direct drive unit that runs off up to 6V in a 6P using 2 CR 123's and 1X18650 to see what would happen.

Also tested is the new Malkoff MC-E warm version direct drive unit. This thing draws big current at turn on and loads down the batteries quick. I could not get it to read up to 500 lumens but its definitely in the 400 plus class.

Next up was the DX (Yes a Deal Extreme unit) in a SureFrie E1B mod and also in a Solarforce Host, starting with 1 IMR 16340 battery and then moving up to my 18650 in my Solarforce host with AR Coated glass. This would not break into the 400 lumens group, maybe if I could leave the bezel off (too loose to do so).

Enjoy, pay attention to the notes as to battery and bezel configurations so as not to get confused as to why readings are high or low.

More yet to come. G.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow the DX surprised me the most. DX rates it at 410 lumens.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.21037
At $23.49 it is a great deal and it is P60 D26. Definetly not Malkoff quality but a great value IMHO.
DX_MC-E High______________337__turn-on,__________1_IMR 16340__________SF E1B Host, custom mod, doesnt hold value
DX_MC-E Low______________137__turn-on,__________1_IMR 16340__________SF E1B Host, custom mod,
DX_MC-E High______________385__turn-on,__________1_18650 LI____________Solarforce L2 Host AR coated glass,
DX_MC-E High______________345__warm____________1_18650 LI____________Solarforce L2 Host AR coated glass,
DX-MC-E Low______________150__warm____________1_18650 LI____________Solarforce L2 Host AT coated glass,

Great job MrGman. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.