Actual Lumens readings in 6" dia. Lab Sphere IS with SC 5500 control

Status
Not open for further replies.

polkiuj

Enlightened
Hey!

What i meant was a 123A light... :mecry:

I live in Malaysia and based on the exchange rate $ 100 = RM 375!

Wayyy to expensive.. =(

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been posting some new readings on page 1. I didn't want to add a new post here for every one. I will eventually be moving to a new thread with the original data and then we can add from there. Anyway tested the Malkoff MCE-W and results are posted, amongst other lights like say a Neoseikan Spartanian II. G

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great data on the Malkoff MC-E's, MrG! This really helps me with a couple purchasing decisions. :thumbsup:

Very good lumen maintainence on the regulated version. Seems like it reaches a stable temp after 5 minutes, and not too much drop during that time to boot. Excellent! Indicates nice design work by Gene.

The performance of the IMR 18650 running the DD module was somewhat surprising to me. Compared to the data using the power supply, I'm assuming the batt was holding approx. 3.6V. I'd have expected an IMR of that size to hold a higher voltage under that load, thus delivering more current. However, I don't know if the DD Malkoff is resistored internally. If it is, that would clear up my confusion.

Gene, if you're reading this, can you tell us if the MC-E DD uses a current limiting resistor?

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great data on the Malkoff MC-E's, MrG! This really helps me with a couple purchasing decisions. :thumbsup:

Very good lumen maintainence on the regulated version. Seems like it reaches a stable temp after 5 minutes, and not too much drop during that time to boot. Excellent! Indicates nice design work by Gene.

The performance of the IMR 18650 running the DD module was somewhat surprising to me. Compared to the data using the power supply, I'm assuming the batt was holding approx. 3.6V. I'd have expected an IMR of that size to hold a higher voltage under that load, thus delivering more current. However, I don't know if the DD Malkoff is resistored internally. If it is, that would clear up my confusion.

Gene, if you're reading this, can you tell us if the MC-E DD uses a current limiting resistor?

Its not resistored internally and the battery was delivering around 12 watts of power, how much more do you want. From my testing so far we believe the phosphor got overheated from running this much power and degraded so that it will never reach the high brightness it might have initially in the first few minutes of running again. By the time I got it bigchelis had already put some serious run time on it.

The regulated module which is keeping total power down to around 9 watts does seem to do a lot better. I should have run it for a lot more than 5 minutes but I had other things to test and do and can't sit there for hours at a time in the optics lab. I believe it would be better in hand out on a cool night rather than in a lab at room temp with no cooling fan as its self heating. but yes, so far the regulated unit put out as advertised good numbers. G

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey MrGman,

Was just wondering if you still have access to an M30, could you test it running on a single primary or 2AA batts?

If not....cheers anyway!

Here are your special ordered test results just for you. don't share this with anyone else okay? :thumbsup:

M30 on a regulated power supply at various voltages and the current draw there of.

1.5V 0.84A 1.26W
2.0V 0.88A 1.76W
3.0V 0.97A 2.91W
3.2V 1.00A 3.20W
3.6V 1.10A 3.96W
4.0V 1.29A 5.16W
4.2V 1.42A 5.96W
4.5V 1.60A 7.20W
5.0V 1.89A 9.45W

And the brightness kept going up with these numbers. I could run the voltage up and down and watch the brightness constantly change. If you can run it with 3 Alkaline C or D cells at 4.5V that's going to be far brighter than 235 lumens out the front off of 1X18650 (for a while). Whether or not it will keep it as it gets hot is another test question.

I like it. :twothumbs

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Thanks for testing. My M30 holds well over a period of 105 minutes when output starts to drop quickly using an 18650 cell. Over that time period from initial turn on and waiting 1 minute to record and to finish 105 minutes later output drop was 10%. Run was done 15 minutes on and about 15 minutes off to rule out high heat and fact I was running it not hand held. Bounce with lightmeter.

Bill

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its not resistored internally and the battery was delivering around 12 watts of power, how much more do you want. From my testing so far we believe the phosphor got overheated from running this much power and degraded so that it will never reach the high brightness it might have initially in the first few minutes of running again. By the time I got it bigchelis had already put some serious run time on it.

Partially due to my hotwire bent, I was as curious about Vbatt under load as anything else, and was expecting to see it higher if (and this is a big if) one could correlate the lumen data while using the power supply to the test using the IMR.

If they do correlate, then one could reasonably ask, for example, since the IMR pumped out 480 lumens from the DD module at turn on, was it delivering approx. the same voltage and current as the power supply did at 3.60V_3.01A, which pumped out 470 lumens at turn on?

However, these are questions for another topic (battery related), and bear no relation to what I think of Gene's excellent stuff.

Rat6P

Enlightened
:bow:

Here are your special ordered test results just for you. don't share this with anyone else okay? :thumbsup:

M30 on a regulated power supply at various voltages and the current draw there of.

1.5V 0.84A 1.26W
2.0V 0.88A 1.76W
3.0V 0.97A 2.91W
3.2V 1.00A 3.20W
3.6V 1.10A 3.96W
4.0V 1.29A 5.16W
4.2V 1.42A 5.96W
4.5V 1.60A 7.20W
5.0V 1.89A 9.45W

And the brightness kept going up with these numbers. I could run the voltage up and down and watch the brightness constantly change. If you can run it with 3 Alkaline C or D cells at 4.5V that's going to be far brighter than 235 lumens out the front off of 1X18650 (for a while). Whether or not it will keep it as it gets hot is another test question.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Partially due to my hotwire bent, I was as curious about Vbatt under load as anything else, and was expecting to see it higher if (and this is a big if) one could correlate the lumen data while using the power supply to the test using the IMR.

If they do correlate, then one could reasonably ask, for example, since the IMR pumped out 480 lumens from the DD module at turn on, was it delivering approx. the same voltage and current as the power supply did at 3.60V_3.01A, which pumped out 470 lumens at turn on?

However, these are questions for another topic (battery related), and bear no relation to what I think of Gene's excellent stuff.

I thought I mentioned somewhere on a previous page but maybe I forgot that the Malkoff Direct Drive MC-E unit was drawing 2.8 amps from that IMR battery at turn on. I calculated that the power based on that was over 12 watts. The voltage drop to the module in that current range although I didn't write it down in the thread was around 3.4V. The IMR battery definitely had the ability to deliver all the power that module wanted and it was getting hot to prove it. It just wasn't making what should have been 12 watts worth of light, which is why we believe that letting it get that hot has degraded the phosphor coatings.

That is why the regulated lights which keep the power down in the 9 watt range on batteries is the way to go. Gene is publising 400 lumens from the Warm unit and it appears to more than meet that directly from the module. It is a wide flood so the bezel blocks a little of the periphery of the light and knocks those numbers down in the "out the front" lumens of a complete light but that is not a fault of the module. In general a "400 lumen" flood light is definitely a one shot see it all backyard lighting tool. With 2X18650's or 2X17500's in a nice size package it will draw a reasonable amount of current from the batteries and have over 1 full hour of run time.

For in door house clearing activity, again this is not a bad way to go either.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is the power draw of the Malkoff MC-E Warm unit that I tested for Gene. This is the fully regulated unit whose lumens numbers with 2X18650 batteries in a full flashlight are on page one.

5.0V 1.48A 7.40W
5.5V 1.71A 9.40W
6.0V 1.67A 10.0W
8.0V 1.11A 8.88W
10.0V 0.90A 9.00W
11.0V 0.80A 8.80W
12.0V 0.74A 8.88W

So you can see it is regulated and you will get great runtime with 4 X CR123 batteries or 2X 17500 up to 18650 LI rechargeables. It will take three LI at up to 13V. I didn't want to push this one up to 13V just yet. Its a beautiful tint beam as well.

Mounted on a shotgun in a 9P size light running 2X17500 rechargeables rated for 1500mAH and you clearly have a 1 plus hour run time light of the 400 lumen range.

And yet, more to come!!! :thumbsup:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received the 26.8mm UCL glass from FLL to test with the Solarforce Bezels. They fit right in and are not too small such that the L shaped O-ring isn't pressing them.
Any issues with that size UCL glass in the Solarforce L2s?

I have a couple of the Solarforce L2s and would like to put better glass in them. Was unsure which UCL to get from FLL, but your post helped answer that question :)

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Any issues with that size UCL glass in the Solarforce L2s?

I have a couple of the Solarforce L2s and would like to put better glass in them. Was unsure which UCL to get from FLL, but your post helped answer that question :)

He answered your question with that quote from his post. It works fine.

Bill

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

1.5V 0.84A 1.26W
2.0V 0.88A 1.76W
3.0V 0.97A 2.91W
3.2V 1.00A 3.20W
3.6V 1.10A 3.96W
4.0V 1.29A 5.16W
4.2V 1.42A 5.96W
4.5V 1.60A 7.20W
5.0V 1.89A 9.45W

This is good info. I run M30 on 3xAA - thus far tried alks, NiMH and L91 Lithiums.

Malkoff M30 on L91s is a bit brighter than M60 on 3x123 cells but M30 on 3xAA NiMH or alks is a bit less bright than M60 either on 123s or Li-Co.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have posted the readings for the Malkoff MC-E cool (as opposed to warm) unit with and without the bezel on page 1. I used 2 different sets of fresh batteries to take 2 sets readings with a cool down between. These MC-E's from Gene are fully regulated units.

Enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.