ARC AA FLASHLIGHT: still for sale somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cy

Flashaholic
no problem, if he has not started yet..

Casual Flashlight User said:
*groan* I mailed it off to Eric the other day.
frown.gif

CFU

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found this thread just now !
Look what I scored today:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1750657

I've been collecting/building/modding Arc LS series of lights for a while.
I've got the First Run, LS3, Arc4+ but this is my FIRST EVER Arc AA.

Notice the body is Bare Alu... Did you use to sell these also, Cy ?
Anyway, the seller had an extra empty head laying around, so I'm
modding that one with a Lux, think SX0H as I have those in stock...
Would a GD500 fit and would it be a good board for the task ?
Might cut it down for CR2 :)

Tips welcome.
Cheers !!

wetdog1911

Newly Enlightened
I have 2 ARC AA's, one from 2002 and the other from just before ARC closed up with the minimal engraving.

I kinda feel sorry for the collectors since one or the other gets used 15/20 times/day. One is on a dog tag chain and rests in a shirt pocket that I use for work lining up printing plates on the press, the other on my spare key ring that stays in my pocket. I switch them every 6 mos or so.

They also did double duty when we didn't have power for over a week after Wilma.

Collecting them is nice I guess, but you really don't get to appreciate them till they are used on a daily basis for a few years.

I hope mine last till they go back into production and by the way they are performing should be no problem.

Rob

paulr

Flashaholic
I never used mine very much and just sold it recently, then found there's a sudden upsurge of interest and the prices just jumped a lot. Oh well. I sort of miss it but my main gripe with it was it was somewhat stiff to turn on. Maybe I should have just lubed the o-ring. Anyway I hope the buyer is enjoying it. I still have several CMG Ultra-G's which are similar in spirit.

paulr said:
I never used mine very much and just sold it recently, then found there's a sudden upsurge of interest and the prices just jumped a lot. Oh well. I sort of miss it but my main gripe with it was it was somewhat stiff to turn on. Maybe I should have just lubed the o-ring. Anyway I hope the buyer is enjoying it. I still have several CMG Ultra-G's which are similar in spirit.

And, as the new owner, I'm enjoying it immensely. :grin2: FYI, I disagree that there's a new, sudden upsurge in interest in these. They've actually gone up and down between $50 and $80 for the past few years. I actually paid $100 apiece for some of these a year ago. It's just an item that seems to carry its value, probably because they're no longer made and everybody likes them.

paulr

Flashaholic
There was a mad run-up in Arc prices shortly after Arc LLC shut down (regular Arc AAA-S's were going over $60) but that was a temporary anomaly. I saw several AA's go by in the $50-55 range over the past couple months and actually offered mine to someone at that price and was declined, but suddenly they've taken a jump upward to the $75 level. Anyway no worries from my end, I think I paid around $30 for it when I got it a few years ago, so I did fine ;)

Led_Blind

Enlightened
I got one with a lux in it... wonder if i can stuff a seul in there instead :) :)

If not, some lucky person can have it for their own modding joy :)

Nebula

Enlightened
CY - I just caught Arc fever. In doing a little research I came across this old thread. Is there any chance that you might have another ARC AA dead head laying about that you might sell? If so, please let me know your price and PP information? Thanks so much. KK

when you do get your ARC AA modded, please don't destroy your original head. I've got dead ARC AA heads available to mod with.

it'd be a shame to kill a good ARC AA head :green:

cy

Flashaholic
PM replied.. got you covered for dead ARC AA heads.

no sense in killing your working ARC AA head to mod with.
best mod for ARC AA is Miller mods two stage cree mod.

link in my signature has more details...

I agree with dad's comments... ARC AA's popularity never really went away. just no more new AA's available. same old supply and demand at work....

it's flat amazing how before ARC4 came out... the number of winners, ARC flashlights produced.

CY - I just caught Arc fever. In doing a little research I came across this old thread. Is there any chance that you might have another ARC AA dead head laying about that you might sell? If so, please let me know your price and PP information? Thanks so much. KK

Last edited:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
best mod for ARC AA is Miller mods two stage cree mod.

MillerMods doesn't do an Arc AA Cree mod - I think the shape/size of the head/reflector make it impossible to get it properly adjusted so it can be a focused beam. :shrug:

However, them ol' LuxIII's would make a fine candidate for such a mod! :thumbsup:

john

greenLED

Flashaholic
Too bad the domes of the XR-E's and the SSC's don't lend themselves all that well to "bare" emitter mods (because the domes are more fragile).

dtsoll

Enlightened
If Arc decided to once again produce the AA with the DS led, I would certainly think there would be a market for them! Has Peter mentioned anything about this? Seems to me it would be easy to produce since he has already made them before. Doug:)

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
MillerMods doesn't do an Arc AA Cree mod - I think the shape/size of the head/reflector make it impossible to get it properly adjusted so it can be a focused beam. :shrug:

However, them ol' LuxIII's would make a fine candidate for such a mod! :thumbsup:

john

Spot on, my millermods 2 stage Arc AA with a UWOJ is a killer light!

CFU

Nebula

Enlightened
JCH & CFU - Thanks for the advice guys. My mint AA will be going to Eric :naughty:.
Special thanks to CY for the AA dead head and Arc advice :thumbsup:. Sure, the Cree would be nice, but for my needs a good old Lux will do just fine.

BTW - I love the fit and finish on the little AA. Thanks to Nikon for the opportunity to own one :twothumbs.

Kirk

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
Wow. One of these with a 25mA low and 1.25 or 1.5 W high would be just awesome. With the capacities available from AA nimhs these days you'd get forever runtime on low and substantial run time on screamin' rock & roll. Eric does fantastic work on the AAAs I know definitely. The AA would be just the same I'm sure.:drool:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.