Are CR2 flashlights a dying breed?

Quiksilver

Enlightened
I have the 4Sevens CR2 just so I can turn a CR2 fuel source into light. Not an EDC item, more preparedness. Can't say I've used it in the past year, it sits in storage.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love to see Zebralight introduce a CR2 light......something along the lines of a scaled down SC31. With Zebralight's expertise in optimized circuit design and an up to date emitter it could be a powerful, tiny light and with a side mounted thumb switch and Zebra's UI it could be a very compact, versatile little torch. It would be even more cool if it were available in a neutral tint.

Last edited:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
The 123A survived the end of the film camera age due to its ability to deliver high currents, its popularity in then-obscure tactical lights, and the surprising popularity of high-performance LED flashlights. It seems like I see more 123A's in battery sections now than when they more commonly sold as "photo lithium" cells.

The CR2 does not seem to have been so lucky. It has seen no significant uptake outside of the film cameras (and accessories) it was commonly used to power - the only small exception I'm aware of is a handful of slim tactical lights for pistols. I expect the CR2 to fade further into obscurity as the pool of equipment it used to power is retired. If there's a LiFePO4 equivalent, I expect that to be the saving grace of CR2-powered electronics.

rebelbayou

Newly Enlightened
I have had a Nitecore Sens Mini CR2 for a couple of months now and have grown quite fond of it. I bought it because I got a really good deal on it and 2 RCRs' to go with it. I didn't think that I would like the UI at first, but it's not as bad as I thought. It is possible to turn the light on low, med or high and it stay on that setting, instead of adjusting itself as you move it up and down. I would say it is about equal in brightness to my ITP A1 which is a CR123 rated at 190 lumens. The tint is cool white and is kinda throwy, which I like. If it had a clicky, it would be close to perfect for me.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had a Nitecore Sens Mini CR2 for a couple of months now and have grown quite fond of it. I bought it because I got a really good deal on it and 2 RCRs' to go with it. I didn't think that I would like the UI at first, but it's not as bad as I thought. It is possible to turn the light on low, med or high and it stay on that setting, instead of adjusting itself as you move it up and down. I would say it is about equal in brightness to my ITP A1 which is a CR123 rated at 190 lumens. The tint is cool white and is kinda throwy, which I like. If it had a clicky, it would be close to perfect for me.

Thanks for this post. I was beginning to wonder if anyone had bought one of these. I'm trying to figure how you mean "not as bad as I thought", though. Doesn't exactly sound like a ringing endorsement.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 123A survived the end of the film camera age due to its ability to deliver high currents, its popularity in then-obscure tactical lights, and the surprising popularity of high-performance LED flashlights. It seems like I see more 123A's in battery sections now than when they more commonly sold as "photo lithium" cells.

The CR2 does not seem to have been so lucky. It has seen no significant uptake outside of the film cameras (and accessories) it was commonly used to power - the only small exception I'm aware of is a handful of slim tactical lights for pistols. I expect the CR2 to fade further into obscurity as the pool of equipment it used to power is retired. If there's a LiFePO4 equivalent, I expect that to be the saving grace of CR2-powered electronics.

For the most part I would have to agree with your post. Looking at some of my own stuff though, several of the professional level gadgets I use with my Nikons use CR2s such as the radio controlled remote shutter and flash triggers (actually, a 123A in the triggers and a CR2 in the remotes) and one of my light meters. Many pistol mounted laser sights and some lights (as you mention) have them and they are used in some stun guns. Coupled with the legacy cameras out there there is probably enough demand to keep them on the market for some time to come so hopefully we'll see some more specialty lights introduced. Time will tell. Now you've got me curious to keep my eye out to see what else I come across, if anything, that is powered by CR2s.

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
"I would love to see Zebralight introduce a CR2 light......something along the lines of a scaled down SC31."

I'd buy a few...in neutral and high CRI of course. Make mine XP-E2 please. :thumbsup:

rebelbayou

Newly Enlightened
"Not as bad as I thought" meant that I was thinking the light would constantly be changing levels according to which angle I was holding the flashlight. I did not know that you could turn it on with it pointing at the ground and it would come on low mode and stay on low mode. If you point it straight ahead, and turn it on, it comes on in medium mode and stays in that mode no matter which angle it's pointed at. If you point it straight up and turn it on, it comes on in high mode but when you lower it to point straight ahead, it adjusts the brightness from high to medium, then if you continue lowering it and point it straight down, it goes back to low mode. Raise it straight up, again it returns to high. Sorry if this is confusing you more. In other words, it only adjusts the levels automatically when you turn it on with it pointing straight up.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Not as bad as I thought" meant that I was thinking the light would constantly be changing levels according to which angle I was holding the flashlight. I did not know that you could turn it on with it pointing at the ground and it would come on low mode and stay on low mode. If you point it straight ahead, and turn it on, it comes on in medium mode and stays in that mode no matter which angle it's pointed at. If you point it straight up and turn it on, it comes on in high mode but when you lower it to point straight ahead, it adjusts the brightness from high to medium, then if you continue lowering it and point it straight down, it goes back to low mode. Raise it straight up, again it returns to high. Sorry if this is confusing you more. In other words, it only adjusts the levels automatically when you turn it on with it pointing straight up.

Thanks for explaining the UI on the SENS mini. Now I finally understand how it works and indeed, it's "not as bad as I thought" either. I wonder if Nitecore has lost sales from this line of lights because people don't quite get how it functions. For me, living out in a rural area, I'm happier with a key chain light that I can point to the ground and switch it on at full power to see tree roots or whatever ditch I might step into if I'm in the pitch dark with no other flashlight. Still, it sounds like an interesting and unique approach to a UI and like I said earlier, I'm glad Nitecore is trying to do something innovative in this class of light, even if it still needs some refinement.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every time I seriously considered a CR2 light (I like small pocket carries) it became apparent the size difference wasn't enough to overcome the disadvantages. There have always been enough really small 123 lights, close enough in size to CR2 offerings, that attracted my $$$. Just my opinion, but the CR2 seems like the AAAA cell where the small size doesn't make up for the availability, (often) cost, and performance. With few exceptions CR2's seem to be, mostly, relegated to "ultimate" and costly lights.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me CR2 lights are specifically for the key chain. The Quark CR2 mini far outperforms any AAA light I own, is much shorter and only slightly wider. I own several 123A/16340 lights and these too are a favorite class of light for me but they are pocket lights, not key chain torches. Even small ones like my Quark ML-X are too bulky for a key chain while the CR2 Mini has been perfect and as I mentioned earlier I ended up abandoning AAAs on my key ring because of it. I think Selfbuilt put it well in his review of the Quark Mini CR2 when he said, "For keychain carry, I think you will find that CR2-based lights fall into quite the sweet spot in terms of performance for size."

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I asked NiteCore to do a special run of EZ CR2 with a XP-G emitter. Who knows? Stranger things have happened ........

Hoosier Light

Newly Enlightened
I thought CR2s were a nutty choice until I got one of Muyshondt's Aeons. Perfect size, function, UI, etc. etc. It has been my EDC for years now and I don't look forward to a time when I'll have to carry something else because I can't find batteries.

ThrowerLover

Newly Enlightened
EZO already answered that in Post #5:

With Battery Junction selling Titanium Innovations CR2 primaries at a dollar apiece I never worry about the cost.

Personally, I use an RCR2 in my FourSevens Mini.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where can you get CR2s for less than $3/pc?

Go to Battery Junction's web site and look under the menu item : Batteries>Lithium & Alkaline Primary Batteries>Lithium Photo Batteries>TITANIUM CR2 3V LITHIUM BATTERY ($1.00 each)

Edit: I see you guys beat me to the answer to awyeah's question, but here's the path.

Last edited:

CMAG

Enlightened
+1 Muyshondt's Aeons
For the price and size check out Fenix E 15, I carry one on key chain as backup/spare battery holder.

awyeah

Enlightened
Now do CR2s have the same safety concerns as CR123A? I stay away from Chinese CR123As.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
No. The 3V Titanium Innovations CR2 batteries in question from Battery Junction are quality one time use non-rechargable lithium primaries and you shouldn't need to worry about them.

Last edited:

Latest posts