Are CR2 flashlights a dying breed?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
What EZO said.

I'm a bit disappointed to hear you didn't get one, but if you keep your eyes open there'll be one for you eventually. As one who didn't care for my first Aeon, this one is a whole different beast. The first one I had a few years ago sat in a drawer for the longest time, as I didn't like the beam, tint or low, but loved the construction, feel, UI and size.

Now add smoother beam, better tint, eminently useful low and it's an absolute must-have.
Lol! You know I love quality stuff don't you? Ya, I myself was disappointed for not jumping on it first while I had the chance to. The latest one with 3 selectable output levels really caught my attention, and I just had a love for anything titanium. Caught the Ti bug when I bought my very first McGizmo Haiku.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Lol! You know I love quality stuff don't you? Ya, I myself was disappointed for not jumping on it first while I had the chance to. The latest one with 3 selectable output levels really caught my attention, and I just had a love for anything titanium. Caught the Ti bug when I bought my very first McGizmo Haiku.
There appear to be a couple still available

It looks like I will have a few extras at the end of the run and will be contacting those on the waiting list to pick up the last few remaining ones.

NorthernStar

Enlightened
I´ve just recently baught my first CR2 light which is the 4sevens Mini MLR2. This is a great light and it is from now and on my keychain light.The only thing that it lacks is a moonlight mode. I think that there should be a moonlight mode before the first mode at 3 lumens.I consider this more as a backup light since it´s runtime at highest mode is quite short with about 40 minutes. I would not use it as a primary light,unless i have spare batteries with me,but being so small and lightweight yet so bright this is the best keychain light i´ve owned so far.

The CR123 lights are far more common than the CR2 lights that are minority, but i really hope that the CR2 lights will not go away from the market. I can´t find any answer why there are so few CR2 lights,at least not in the keychain light category?:thinking: I hope that more brands starts to release new lights powered by CR2 batteries.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was recently speaking with archimedes and have found a regained interest in CR2 lighting. I once previously owned a Photonfanatic Tasklight II that I let go. Like many things I have owned and sold, looking back in hindsight, this was one that should have been a keeper. It took some time in between and getting a hold of a Muyshondt Aeon to come to this realization.

My birthday is coming up and I had some funds set aside for something else, but I may have to make a slight deviation on that. I currently own an Arcmania Extreme Micro CR2 (which I would eventually like to have a new LE constructed if I can find any takers, or at the latest have the emitter swapped to something more neutral/warm), Muyshondt Black HA Aeon, Muyshondt Aeon MKII (should have arrived today at work, sadly I don't return until this Thursday), a Muyshondt Ion in bronze aluminum - though not stock as this has had both driver/board and emitter modded, and a new Tasklight II on the way.

While I understand that these lights may never fully compete with their bigger counterparts, I also understand that they provide a nice balance with a more than acceptable tradeoff (in terms of size, output, and efficiency) - all imho.

jamie.91

Enlightened
I've never owned a cr2 light and I don't know why, I love small chunky lights!

I think it's the cr123 technology that holds the cr2 back, just like how 18650's have a higher capacity than 17500's

There's also less choice! I purchased my first set of rechargeable cr2's last week for a surefire L60 Lego I built and the amount of options was less than a tenth of the vast amount of different cr123a's.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's the cr123 technology that holds the cr2 back, just like how 18650's have a higher capacity than 17500's

This argument has come up a few times in this thread but it misses the point, I believe. CR123 and RCR123 lights are great. I own quite a few and I love 'em, but they just don't cut it on a key chain; they're too big. (for my taste) CR2 lights on the other hand give the best performance for size of any key chain worthy light and so capacity becomes irrelevant for this usage. And with close to a full hour of max output from a single CR2 cell in a Quark MLR2 and many more hours of light at lower power it becomes a moot point when one considers how key chain lights are generally intended to be used.

Last edited:

appliancejunk

Enlightened
Just ordered one this morning after seeing this topic again.

Seen this topic a number of times and after seeing it again this morning I could no longer resist, lol...

Like my photon freedoms I currently have on my key chains, but they are not perfect so I'm always searching for other keychain lights.

Receiving the Fenix E15 today to try on my key chain, but I have a feeling it's going to be a bit large for me.

Maybe this Foursevens CR2 will finally be "the one". :D

appliancejunk

Enlightened
Well I received my Foursevens CR2 today, but it's now the newest flashlight I have owned for the least amount of time, lol...

As I opened up the package my wife asked, "what did you get now?"
I jokingly said, "the worlds smallest, brightest flashlight" as I put the battery in it.

My son said,"let's see it".

So I handed it to him and he looked it over and twisted it on.
I could tell he was not very impressed, yet! ;)

I said,"Hmm, it's not very bright is it..."

He handed it back to me and as I twisted it on and off I explained how it has three levels, low, med. and high.

When I hit the high output level his eyes got big and with a big smile he said, "holy shi* that's bright! How much are these, I want one to put on my keyring".

I kid you not! Them are his exact words and he took me a bit by surprise as I don't hear him curse like that around us...

He is a high school senior this year and has seen many of my other flashlights over the years. He has never really got all to excited about any of my other flashlights, but he sure got excited about this Foursevens CR2.

Without saying how much they cost or anything else I said, "You can have this one and I will order another one."

His eyes lit up again as he said, "Really, thanks!". :D

He then went and got his keyring and removed the Photon Freedom I gave him last year and then he put on the Foursevens CR2.

Said he can't wait to show his friends, lol...

Have to admit I'm really happy to see my son take so much interest in a flashlight.

On a different note, one of the first things I noticed on the Foursevens CR2 was how there seem to be just a bit more metal around the hole for the split ring then I expected.
In many of the stock photos I see online it looks like the metal is paper thin on the outside of the hole, but in person it's much better.

Anyway I took a quick photo of it on my sons keyring just incase I never see it again... ;)

1_02_08_13_4_36_40.jpeg

Now to order another one, or two...

Asked the wife if she wanted one too, but she said, "No, I'm not into flashlights".

Think I will order two just in case. I would hate to loose another one again.

Last edited:

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like father, like son AJ ;).

Glad you (and he) like it. That one has the XP-G2 emitter correct? How did you find the tint on it?

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a great story appliancejunk!

I received a new CR2 light yesterday too! A Fireworm F01.

It's a bit of a funny flashaholical story as I sort of bought it by accident! It wasn't like I was in the market for a Fireworm, it was more like, hmmm, this could be a good deal on an interesting new light! I stumbled on an eBay auction last week for a new in the box Fireworm and noticed that it was listed for an opening bid of 35 dollars and that nobody had yet bid on it with only one day left in the auction. I decided to watch it thinking I might put in a bid towards the end of the auction if the bids were still pretty low but then the auction suddenly was withdrawn. Since 35 dollars is about half what this Fireworm otherwise sells for on eBay I figured the seller had wisely decided to avoid having it go out the door at that price. Then to my surprise the seller re-listed the item for $29.99! I watched it again, this time for a whole week. Finally, by the end of the auction there were only two bids and it was now only up to $30.99, so I put in a last minute low ball bid thinking that surely the previous bidders had used maximum proxy bids and that the final price would certainly be much closer to what all the other Fireworm F01s are going for on eBay right now. To my utter shock, I won the auction for $31.99! (plus 5 bucks shipping) and it came with a rechargeable li-ion CR2 and the seller is going to send me a couple of Panasonic CR2s as well!

So, about the Fireworm. It's pretty cool and I really like it! It weighs a ton though, literally twice the weight of a Foursevens MLR2......32 grams vs 16 grams, (without battery) even though it's only about six millimeters longer but otherwise the same diameter. Of course, this isn't too surprising as it's made from titanium and is built on a very heavy brass pill. In fact, most of the weight of this light is in the head and the heft gives it a nice feel in the hand but I think it may be better suited for a lanyard or worn around one's neck rather than on a key chain since it's so heavy.

The real feature of this light is the tint. I can confirm what others have said, it looks like sunlight! It's really just gorgeous. It's an R2 but I don't know exactly what flavor it is. Does anyone know more about what's used in this light? Considering all the brouhaha going on over in the Zebralight SC52w threads (including from me) about the greenish tinted neutral XM-L2 emitters, the tint on the Fireworm is especially pleasing! So, I'm glad to add another nice light to my CR2 collection considering the theme of this thread.

Last edited:

PANGES

Newly Enlightened
Where are you guys buying your CR2 batteries at? I've been wanting to buy a CR2 light, but I'm looking around for CR2's and they seem to be much more expensive than the Surefire CR123 batteries I buy for my other lights.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where are you guys buying your CR2 batteries at? I've been wanting to buy a CR2 light, but I'm looking around for CR2's and they seem to be much more expensive than the Surefire CR123 batteries I buy for my other lights.

I order from 4Sevens.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

PANGES

Newly Enlightened
I order from 4Sevens.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Ahh Thanks! The prices with FourSevens isn't too bad. About the same price as my Surefires when you buy the 10 pack. I pay around $21 for 12 CR123's. Unfortunately the 10 pack of CR2's are backordered at the moment.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast

This question has come up a couple of times in this thread and people keep missing the answer they're looking for. You can buy quality CR2 lithium cells from Battery Junction for $1.00 USD each. Better yet, you can buy Panasonic CR2 lithium cells in 4 and 5 packs from FASTTECH for around 94 cents or less each with free shipping. There are other types of CR2 cells available as well. See posts #55 and #37 for further details and of course, check out CR2s on FASTTECH.com and batteryjunction.com.

bltkmt

Enlightened
Better yet, you can buy Panasonic CR2 lithium cells in 4 and 5 packs from FASTTECH for around 94 cents or less each with free shipping.

Are we pretty confident these are genuine cells and not too aged? Looks like a great deal if so.

I just bought some Panasonic's from Battery Junction - about $2 per cell. My Aeons sip these pretty slowly.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are we pretty confident these are genuine cells and not too aged? Looks like a great deal if so.

The photos on FASTTECH.com show genuine Matsushita "Made in Japan" Panasonics and with the shelf life of lithiums and the likely turn over in stock I doubt that "too aged" would really be a problem. FASTTECH generally doesn't have the reputation for passing off counterfeits and surplus odd lots the way some of these Chinese merchants are known to. Not that it would be realistic to send them back unless you bought quite a few but they do come under FASTTECH's "Standard Return Policy" - Return for refund within: 45 days -Return for replacement within: 6 months, so they are standing behind them which is a lot more than most of these Asian sellers really do. At this price with free shipping one couldn't go too wrong taking a chance on a four pack for $3.79 just to see what happens. If you are really worried, stick with the-buck-a-piece Titanium Innovations CR2s from Battery Junction.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I'm sure that Matt will send me a brand new flashlight for saying this, LOL, but I have had good luck with the Battery Junction CR2's, using them in my CR2 Ion, two Aeons (one a MK II), and (OT here) my Nautilus (CR123). No problems whatsoever.

Bill

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure that Matt will send me a brand new flashlight for saying this, LOL, but I have had good luck with the Battery Junction CR2's, using them in my CR2 Ion, two Aeons (one a MK II), and (OT here) my Nautilus (CR123). No problems whatsoever.

Bill

The Titanium Innovation cells have fared well in many of Selfbuilt's tests. I've always had good experience with them.

I think the take home message here for the folks who say they don't want to buy CR2 flashlights or CR123 lights because the cells are too expensive or too hard to find is that they are readily available for reasonable cost.