Are CR2 flashlights a dying breed?

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sure seemed to me like CR2 cells were becoming less available than before, but looking around more recently shows they're still being produced and sold through common retailers. Some portable medical devices use them. So as long as there's a critical device usage, they'll always be produced.

I'm more curious to know if RCR2's are going to stick around for the long haul.

Last edited:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speaking of CR2 battery availability and cost, I see that FASTECH is selling what appear to be genuine Panasonic CR2 primaries in 4 and 5 packs for under a dollar each. They are also selling 3.0V CR2 LiFePO4 rechargeables at an attractive price. I had no idea that LiFePO4s were even available as CR2s. Interesting. Beyond that I see that they have the Nitecore SENS Mini for such a low price that I am thinking of buying one even though I'm still not sure about the UI. Such is the life of a flashaholic. :ironic:

Hoop

Enlightened
I'd like to chime in and give praise to the 4sevens MINI MLR2, (with XP-G2) which I've been EDC'ing for six months now. I had seen a CR2 format light at the fall 2012 Seattle gathering and really liked the size. I wanted one that could take rechargeables without going :poof: but had read that 4Sevens doesn't seem to recommend rechargeable batteries in its CR2 or CR123 lights because of the comparatively high output at 4.2 volts. Reading into it, users of 4sevens MINI lights seemed to say that rechargeables work in them without issue and offer superior brightness to primaries, and so I got on the pre-order list for a MLR2 with the XP-G2 emitter. I am powering the light with AW 350mAh 15266's, which are LiCo chemistry. The batteries seem to handle the load without issue and the capacity is agreeable. It feels like I have only charged the batteries a few times in these six months. The XP-G2 tint is pretty neutral and is non offensive. It is white with a slightly blueish hue. The output on high mode is "wow light" territory thanks to its size. 4Sevens claims 215 lumens OTF or so but I think it is brighter than that with the RCR2's. I happen to have dropped this light onto concrete several times, including once from about 7 feet. Barely scratched it. One time I felt a burning sensation in my pocket and I thought oh crap! I pulled the light out and it had been on high for a while and was too hot to touch. After dismantling the light and letting everything sit, I put it back together and everything was A ok. Now adays I make sure the light is unscrewed enough so that it cannot turn on in my pocket from compression.

Some pics:

mlr2inhands.jpg

mlr2aparts.jpg

Control shot of backyard:
backyardcontrols.jpg

MLR2 on High: (click picture for fullsize photo)

The distance to the fence is about 80 feet. [24.5 meters] It has no problem lighting up the back yard which is pretty great for a light that is smaller than my thumb. Medium mode is practical and the light does not heat up. Low mode is a bit bright for completely night adjusted eyes, but otherwise is pretty low.

Last edited:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mentioned earlier in this thread that I've been thinking of upgrading from my older 4sevens CR2 Mini to a Foursevens Mini MLR2. So just after reading Hoop's post bumping this thread I discovered that Foursevens is having a 15% off sale on all their lights until Father's Day so I'll take this to mean that the flashlight Gods are trying to tell me something and so I just "pulled the trigger"! Thanks Hoop, it's all your fault! As I said earlier I've really come to love the output and functionality from this light and its short length compared to the AAAs that used to reside on my keychain. Since I live in a rural area where there are no street lights it's amazing how often it comes in handy to have this kind of power on my key chain and I love the reaction I get from folks who don't know or usually appreciate flashlights. The other day we were visiting friends up the road who live among a group of houses that are completely off the grid and I was (as usual) the only one who had a flashlight. (several actually, but my keys were already in my hand and this little light could light up the path all the way up to the house we were visiting about thirty or more yards ahead of us in the woods.) Everybody wanted to know where I got the light and what it cost. I do wish they came in a neutral tint though like the CR123 MINI XM-L I scored back when they were available, but the current crop of emitters are not too bad tint wise and I guess you can't have everything.

Last edited:

Hoop

Enlightened
Does anyone own a Nitecore SENS Mini? Selfbuilts's review of this light kinda' soured me to the design of the UI but I wonder what other owners may think. Considering the theme of this thread, Nitecore seems to be the only company right now who is trying to push the envelope with the CR2 format and it's got me thinking it shouldn't be dismissed so easily even if I am kind of old school about a KISS approach to the UI on a key chain light.

I actually purchased a Nitecore sens mini, before ditching it for the MLR2. There were several things I didn't like about the light. The sens feature would be perfect if it adjusted immediately to changes in position, but it only does this when you point it up. It will instantly go from low to high, but when you point it back down you will be blinded by the high output for several seconds. I found myself closing my eyes waiting for it to dim down. This was unacceptable. They claim this is a feature for people who can't manage to hold their hands steady while walking, to which I say: those people should just turn the light on in a steady mode... The plastic TIR lens of the light was able to be scratched by keys and such, so this was a big downer. Also the low output was far too bright. The MLR2 is better in regards to durability, throw, and has a higher high and a lower low. The MLR2 is also shorter, slightly smaller in diameter, and has a better led tint. Oh, also, the MLR2 is much easier to operate with one hand.

sensmlr2s.jpg

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been intrigued by the 47 Mini and almost bought one until I tried a few other 47 Mini and am not happy with the way they are built or operate.

I do have an Aeon that is amazing but I also have a Fenix E15 that is about the same size but uses a 123.

I also tried a sense in AA and could not stand it and sent it back.

I think the CR2 is fine in a specialized application but the 123 is just a lot more powerful and easily obtained and in almost all other ways a better and simpler choice.

Last edited:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually purchased a Nitecore sens mini, before ditching it for the MLR2. There were several things I didn't like about the light. The sens feature would be perfect if it adjusted immediately to changes in position, but it only does this when you point it up. It will instantly go from low to high, but when you point it back down you will be blinded by the high output for several seconds. I found myself closing my eyes waiting for it to dim down. This was unacceptable. They claim this is a feature for people who can't manage to hold their hands steady while walking, to which I say: those people should just turn the light on in a steady mode... The plastic TIR lens of the light was able to be scratched by keys and such, so this was a big downer. Also the low output was far too bright. The MLR2 is better in regards to durability, throw, and has a higher high and a lower low. The MLR2 is also shorter, slightly smaller in diameter, and has a better led tint. Oh, also, the MLR2 is much easier to operate with one hand.

Thanks for the feedback on the SENS Mini, Hoop. You've basically confirmed my impression of it without ever having handled one. I didn't know the optic was plastic, which is another demerit in my book. Initially, I was very tempted to buy one from FASTECH because they are selling them for only $22.56 USD which is far lower than I've seen them anywhere but I'll stick with the Foursevens Mini. Perhaps the price of the Nitecore is so low because they don't sell well.

Last edited:

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The most common CR2 lights that I have seen are the Streamlight TLR3 and TLR4 (light/laser combo) lights for compact handguns. Other than those, I can't recall seeing any in a store.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Not sure if they're a dying breed so much as an unfortunately ignored format.

1) Cells too hard to find? No, they are in almost any store that carries batteries nowdays, quite often right at the cashiers station.
2) Too little capacity? Not at all, only for people concerned with specs on paper rather than real-life usefulness.
3) Awkward size lights? Absolutely not, they are a joy to carry and own.

I'm not getting rid of my Aeon Mk. II, Quark MiNi CR2w or Nitecore EZ-CR2 as they make for such elegant and practical companions. They don't take as much space as our beloved CR-123 lights, yet they also offer a bigger reflector and capacity than the minimalist AAA lights.

Of these three lights, I don't see how anyone can not at least like them if they've at least had the opportunity to use one.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
I'd like to chime in and give praise to the 4sevens MINI MLR2, (with XP-G2) which I've been EDC'ing for six months now. I had seen a CR2 format light at the fall 2012 Seattle gathering and really liked the size. I wanted one that could take rechargeables without going :poof: but had read that 4Sevens doesn't seem to recommend rechargeable batteries in its CR2 or CR123 lights because of the comparatively high output at 4.2 volts. Reading into it, users of 4sevens MINI lights seemed to say that rechargeables work in them without issue and offer superior brightness to primaries, and so I got on the pre-order list for a MLR2 with the XP-G2 emitter. I am powering the light with AW 350mAh 15266's, which are LiCo chemistry. The batteries seem to handle the load without issue and the capacity is agreeable. It feels like I have only charged the batteries a few times in these six months. The XP-G2 tint is pretty neutral and is non offensive. It is white with a slightly blueish hue. The output on high mode is "wow light" territory thanks to its size. 4Sevens claims 215 lumens OTF or so but I think it is brighter than that with the RCR2's. I happen to have dropped this light onto concrete several times, including once from about 7 feet. Barely scratched it. One time I felt a burning sensation in my pocket and I thought oh crap! I pulled the light out and it had been on high for a while and was too hot to touch. After dismantling the light and letting everything sit, I put it back together and everything was A ok. Now adays I make sure the light is unscrewed enough so that it cannot turn on in my pocket from compression.

Some pics:

mlr2inhands.jpg

mlr2aparts.jpg

Control shot of backyard:
backyardcontrols.jpg

MLR2 on High: (click picture for fullsize photo)

The distance to the fence is about 80 feet. [24.5 meters] It has no problem lighting up the back yard which is pretty great for a light that is smaller than my thumb. Medium mode is practical and the light does not heat up. Low mode is a bit bright for completely night adjusted eyes, but otherwise is pretty low.

That is a very interesting light.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a very interesting light.

I just got notice that my new Mini MLR2 upgrade from my old CR2 Mini is on its way. If you think you might wanna buy one of these they're still 15% off 'til Fathers Day, so now would be the time. I'm thinking of ordering another one to start some early Christmas shopping or for a spare. With the plethora of AAA lights that keep hitting the market and the paucity of CR2 lights, I still worry that the category will disappear entirely. Those of us who appreciate this type of light know what they are about and I think kaichu dento's post was right on. And as far as CR2 battery availability though, as a photographer I'm seeing a lot of pro accessories that use CR2s. Specifically, remote flash triggers and slaves, remote shutter releases, light meters and colorimeters. I've noticed various laser devices using them and firearm mounted lights as well, so at least the batteries will be around for some time to come.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
I just got notice that my new Mini MLR2 upgrade from my old CR2 Mini is on its way. If you think you might wanna buy one of these they're still 15% off 'til Fathers Day, so now would be the time. I'm thinking of ordering another one to start some early Christmas shopping or for a spare. With the plethora of AAA lights that keep hitting the market and the paucity of CR2 lights, I still worry that the category will disappear entirely. Those of us who appreciate this type of light know what they are about and I think kaichu dento's post was right on. And as far as CR2 battery availability though, as a photographer I'm seeing a lot of pro accessories that use CR2s. Specifically, remote flash triggers and slaves, remote shutter releases, light meters and colorimeters. I've noticed various laser devices using them and firearm mounted lights as well, so at least the batteries will be around for some time to come.

Just took advantage of the sale you mentioned. I have been a big fan of keychain lights for a long time, since having a tiny, useful light on a keychain largely guarantees that you will have a light when you need one. Having gone through a succession of less expensive/quality keychain lights, this will probably be the last keychain light I will need to buy (for myself at least, I will certainly buy others for family and friends) for a long time.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just took advantage of the sale you mentioned. I have been a big fan of keychain lights for a long time, since having a tiny, useful light on a keychain largely guarantees that you will have a light when you need one. Having gone through a succession of less expensive/quality keychain lights, this will probably be the last keychain light I will need to buy (for myself at least, I will certainly buy others for family and friends) for a long time.

Cool! I think you'll love it. Glad you found the discount code; I forgot to mention it. (DADS15- good 'til 6/15) As a CPFer I'm sure you thought to look at the FOURSEVENS forum in the MarketPlace where the Father's Day discount is mentioned.

I was just outside checking out my new MLR2 that arrived yesterday (now that it finally stopped raining). It is definitely at least 20% brighter and has more throw and a tighter hot spot than my older CR2 Mini. These lights are really quite amazing for a keychain torch about the diameter and half the length of my index finger. It will illuminate parts of my property a good 80 to 90 yards away. Optimum maximum illumination is perhaps 75 yards. Plenty floody too and good for close work, especially in medium and low. I do wish it had a lower low though.....a true moon mode. Interestingly, I noticed that the OP reflector is subtly more smooth than the older version of this light to maximize throw and with the new emitter it really rocks for such a tiny light. No AAA on my keychain could ever perform this way and the result is you get an actual flashlight with punch on your key ring, which I guess is my whole point about CR2 lights in this thread.

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have always wanted to own a CR2 light but could never bring myself to do it because for some reasons CR2 batteries are darn hard to come by in Singapore whereas CR123 could be found anywhere. And even if I could find them here they usually come with a hefty price tag. To make matters worst, I could not justify buying it from the likes of Battery Junction or FourSevens because USPS don't ship lithium batteries anymore and I have to pay a premium to get it FedEx out to me. The Muyshondt Aeon has always been my dream light but it will probably never happen due to this restrictions.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have always wanted to own a CR2 light but could never bring myself to do it because for some reasons CR2 batteries are darn hard to come by in Singapore whereas CR123 could be found anywhere. And even if I could find them here they usually come with a hefty price tag. To make matters worst, I could not justify buying it from the likes of Battery Junction or FourSevens because USPS don't ship lithium batteries anymore and I have to pay a premium to get it FedEx out to me. The Muyshondt Aeon has always been my dream light but it will probably never happen due to this restrictions.

pjandyho, I think you should go ahead and order that Muyshondt Aeon you've been wanting right away! :) As mentioned earlier in this thread FASTECH, based in Hong Kong sells genuine Japanese manufactured Panasonic CR2 lithium primaries for $.94 cents USD or less apiece along with Nitecore CR2 lithium primaries too. They also sell rechargeable CR2 lithium-ions (unprotected) and LIFePO4s at modest prices, all with FREE worldwide shipping. And there are certainly other similar suppliers of batteries as well, so there is no compelling reason to buy from Foursevens or Battery Junction or any other US based business where you would have to deal with American postal restrictions or shipping costs. FASTECH also offers Speedpost Global Express shipping to 216 counties including Singapore. With the shelf life of lithium primaries and a price of 94 cents each you could easily stock up on years worth of batteries in just one simple order, depending on your usage.

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
pjandyho, I think you should go ahead and order that Muyshondt Aeon you've been wanting right away! :) As mentioned earlier in this thread FASTECH, based in Hong Kong sells genuine Japanese manufactured Panasonic CR2 lithium primaries for $.94 cents USD or less apiece along with Nitecore CR2 lithium primaries too. They also sell rechargeable CR2 lithium-ions (unprotected) and LIFePO4s at modest prices, all with FREE worldwide shipping. And there are certainly other similar suppliers of batteries as well, so there is no compelling reason to buy from Foursevens or Battery Junction or any other US based business where you would have to deal with American postal restrictions or shipping costs. FASTECH also offers Speedpost Global Express shipping to 216 counties including Singapore. With the shelf life of lithium primaries and a price of 94 cents each you could easily stock up on years worth of batteries in just one simple order, depending on your usage.
I should have known about this long ago. The latest run of Ti Aeon is now out of stock. I have been drooling everyday when I looked at the sales thread from Enrique, but withheld the urge to buy one because of the battery availability. Anyway, I am now a little strained on my wallet too. Now that I know where to get the batteries I will not have that much of a worry in future should a purchase be hanging right before my eyes. Thanks so much!

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
What EZO said.

I'm a bit disappointed to hear you didn't get one, but if you keep your eyes open there'll be one for you eventually. As one who didn't care for my first Aeon, this one is a whole different beast. The first one I had a few years ago sat in a drawer for the longest time, as I didn't like the beam, tint or low, but loved the construction, feel, UI and size.

Now add smoother beam, better tint, eminently useful low and it's an absolute must-have.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
...yet they also offer a bigger reflector than the minimalist AAA lights.

This is a very good point. I love AAA lights - actually I have quite a weakness for them and have looots of them (although not as many as HKJ). But most of them don't have nice beams, especially the reflector based lights. I don't have any CR2 lights...yet.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
This is a very good point. I love AAA lights - actually I have quite a weakness for them and have looots of them (although not as many as HKJ). But most of them don't have nice beams, especially the reflector based lights. I don't have any CR2 lights...yet.
Hopefully you do have an LF2XT? Great all around beam pattern for close/medium range and some of the smoothest edge transitions all across the beam - from an XP-E no less.