Beta QR Pass-Around - Closed

Why not Try this Pass Around / Give Away ?

• I Already Own Both

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I Wanted to try the Beta Copper/Black

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Not Interested

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I Really Like the Dark :candle:

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Beta QR Pass-Around

For what it is worth, I like having a little play-on the older Four Sevens lights, I would screw the head until just before the light came on. Then I could squeeze the head towards the tail of the light for momentary(on a twisty light-no tail switch) activation and I could release pressure-reapply pressure and very rapidly move through modes. Their newest Mini MKII is incredibly well made and the old way no longer works...just my 2 cents, YMMV.

Tejasandre

Flashlight Enthusiast

So, the charger. I've had these little guys on the charger 3 & 1/2 hours. Still blinking. Seems like a long time.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast

So, the charger. I've had these little guys on the charger 3 & 1/2 hours. Still blinking. Seems like a long time.

They take longer than the eneloops to recharge but that's the reason for the longer life and higher number of cycles...or so I'm told....
There are two factors to the charge time. The amount of available current of the USB port it's plugged into. When charging 4 batteries it requires a full 1 amp, two require 1/2 amp. Second is how far the battery has been discharged. 6 to 8 hours is usually what I have experienced. The manual states 8. I have tested this charger with 4 batteries using < 1 amp and it will work, but it just takes longer.

Edit:

I would like to add that the ReCyko NiMh batteries in this pass-around can be recharged in most NiMh compatible chargers. The ReCyko USB charger U411 included with the pass-around is optimized to provide to the greatest charge capacity and the largest number of usable charge cycles due to it's matched Voltage/Current and charge logarithm. The ReCyko batteries may charge faster than they do in another charger, but by doing so You will sacrifice some of the usable charge cycles of the battery. Just as these cells are not rated for a high discharge rate, they are not rated for a high charging rate. Most all other standard NiMh chargers have comparable charging times to the GP U411 in this pass-around. Also the 120V AC charger for these cells rated charging time is longer, coming in at 12-16 hours.

Last edited:

Tejasandre

Flashlight Enthusiast

So , over all? Lights are well made, much lighter than you'd expect, disappear in your pocket & just beautiful .
Love the brass with 3 mode & low low.
Nickel didn't act up again after wiping the threads.
Charger seems slow for my taste.

The eagle is in flight. :)

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast

The mini torches showed up today! Tej packaged them well. So I'll work with them this week, and then take one of them on my bicycle camping trip next week to Colorado. It will be a great size/ weight/ performance mix.

Shown with my other small torch that came in today
Prometheus%20mix.jpg

HughJorgan

Newly Enlightened

Apologies if this is already described elsewhere...

The Beta QRv2s in this pass-around, are they the same as the other QRv2 models he's been offering for some time now or did Jason update components?

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast

Apologies if this is already described elsewhere...

The Beta QRv2s in this pass-around, are they the same as the other QRv2 models he's been offering for some time now or did Jason update components?
The Lights are Ver.2. Updated. You get to try the ReCyko 'AAA' NiMh batteries/USB Charger along with it. The Lights and Batteries will be given away at the end.

Last edited:

HughJorgan

Newly Enlightened

The Lights are Ver.2. Updated. You get to try the ReCyko 'AAA' NiMh batteries/USB Charger along with it. The Lights and Batteries will be given away at the end.

Thanks - I was just checking Jason's website but don't see any details on what was updated. A quick forum search didn't find me any results, either. Do you know what's been updated? Specifically wondering if he put in a newer version of the Nichia and/or got rid of the PWM.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks - I was just checking Jason's website but don't see any details on what was updated. A quick forum search didn't find me any results, either. Do you know what's been updated? Specifically wondering if he put in a newer version of the Nichia and/or got rid of the PWM.
Sorry to confuse You. All Brand New Beta QR V2's that Jason ships come with a complimentary GP Recyko NiMh rechargeable. Would You like to give them a try? Perhaps You want to compare current shipped tint bins :shrug:

HughJorgan

Newly Enlightened

Sorry to confuse You. All Brand New Beta QR V2's that Jason ships come with a complimentary GP Recyko NiMh rechargeable. Would You like to give them a try? Perhaps You want to compare current shipped tint bins :shrug:

Thank you for the offer; I may go ahead and pick up another one at some point but in the meantime I'll just sit back and read the fine reviews this pass-around produces. TBH I'm more leaning towards getting another of his Alpha pens next now that he's offering Br and Cu versions as standard products; my EN one is one of my favorite pens.

Apologies for sidetracking this thread - I'll be quiet now and look forward to reading new activity.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi all,
A quick update before my full review. The flashlights arrived right before a planned bicycle camping trip in Colorado, so I took one along. Immediately afterwards, I had to spend several days last week in the East coast. So I'm back at home now. Unfortunately, as I was unpacking the camping stuff, I realized that I put the nickel in the box that has my bicycle, which is somewhere between Steamboat Springs, CO and Phoenix - but will be delivered tomorrow. So I will be sending the torches to The0dore tomorrow.

0704170754.jpg

PS: the little torch was a great traveling companion!

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast

That little torch needs a piece of luggage for all those travel stickers.
It's quite all right Dan :thumbsup:
Hi all,
A quick update before my full review. The flashlights arrived right before a planned bicycle camping trip in Colorado, so I took one along. Immediately afterwards, I had to spend several days last week in the East coast. So I'm back at home now. Unfortunately, as I was unpacking the camping stuff, I realized that I put the nickel in the box that has my bicycle, which is somewhere between Steamboat Springs, CO and Phoenix - but will be delivered tomorrow. So I will be sending the torches to The0dore tomorrow.

0704170754.jpg

PS: the little torch was a great traveling companion!

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Review Time!
I do apologize to Got Lumens and The0 (next on the list), it feels like forever since I received these lights to test. I took the nickel torch with me on a 100+ mile bike camping journey in Colorado a couple weeks ago, from Glenwood Springs to Steamboat Springs. Unfortunately, UPS has delayed my shipping both getting there (yay, same shirt/ pants for 5 days), and coming back. In my hurry to get the bicycle packed back up and on its way home, I left the Prometheus Beta QR in the backpack that is in the box. Was supposed to arrive two days ago, hopefully it will be here today.

First, I am a happy owner of a Beta QR, had it for a little over a year, so I was looking forward to seeing what/ if there are any differences.
0717170649_HDR.jpg

Well, physically, nothing to speak of. If I put my calipers on them, I might find a couple thousandths difference, but they pretty much look identical. That certainly speaks to the manufacturing tolerances. The threading is quite nice, feels just fine to me. I did try one of the other reviewers' suggestions, and turned the head down to where I could apply a bit of pressure to activate the light. Cool, but in a pocket/ keyring, I doubt it would stay at that setting.

"old" and new. The new design has a touch of green glowy stuff around the emitter, for a locator. I wish mine had that, it's a nice feature. Notice the slight difference in the reflectors, the newer one has a finer texture detail.
0717170648.jpg

On the machining, I feel the QR is a bit too tight. This is probably a personal thing, but you can certainly say that this torch will never accidentally fall off of your keyring.

The single AAA battery lasted well more than what I asked for it in over a week of use. Yes, it takes a long time for the charger to fill them up, but it is much easier on the cells that way, and they will last longer than fast charging.

Modes, I used the nickel one the most, because I had it with me almost constantly for two weeks. It has the two modes, and was very useful. A reminder here for those who may not think about "useful lumens". Most of the time, we play (er, quantitatively study) with our torches in daylight/ artificial light. With our eyes adjusted to daytime, it's sometimes difficult to appreciate just how little lumens we actually need in the dark, with dark adjusted lights. I attended a pistol training class, and brought my boss v5 head fed by two 18350's, which was way beyond overkill (but stupidly fun). There was a dude there with a 15 lumen Innova, which some of us initially smirked at. Later on in the class, we were all standing around in complete darkness, and instructor had him shine his torch on the targets, out at about 30 feed. It was plenty of light to our dark-adjusted lights. An interesting experiment, certainly.
So these Beta torches (nickel is two mode: 15/60 and brass three mode: 1/15/80 lumens), are very useful.

Here we are assembling our bikes. My friend has a take-down frame, makes it easy to transport.
0703171828.jpg

Out in the field, this was a great camping torch. Plus, I really enjoyed the warmish tint. For everyday usage, I prefer the tint to be around 4,000 kelvin.
A side note, I purchased this tent second hand, it's a Big Agnes Fish Hook 1-person. under 3.5 pounds, which is important when bicycling, and really a wonderful tent. Incidentally, they are made in Steamboat Springs, so I got to chat with the manufacturer. Cool stuff!
0704172055.jpg

So there you have it. A finely machined American torch. Can't really ask any more for those looking at a small form factor torch. Small enough to be your secondary in an everyday carry (two is one), but extremely well made. Big torches, small torches, I heart them all!
0626171530.jpg