Beta QR Pass-Around - Closed

Why not Try this Pass Around / Give Away ?

• I Already Own Both

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I Wanted to try the Beta Copper/Black

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Not Interested

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I Really Like the Dark :candle:

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

HughJorgan

Newly Enlightened
Re: Beta QR Pass-Around

Review Time!
I do apologize to Got Lumens and The0 (next on the list), it feels like forever since I received these lights to test. I took the nickel torch with me on a 100+ mile bike camping journey in Colorado a couple weeks ago, from Glenwood Springs to Steamboat Springs. Unfortunately, UPS has delayed my shipping both getting there (yay, same shirt/ pants for 5 days), and coming back. In my hurry to get the bicycle packed back up and on its way home, I left the Prometheus Beta QR in the backpack that is in the box. Was supposed to arrive two days ago, hopefully it will be here today.

First, I am a happy owner of a Beta QR, had it for a little over a year, so I was looking forward to seeing what/ if there are any differences.
0717170649_HDR.jpg

Well, physically, nothing to speak of. If I put my calipers on them, I might find a couple thousandths difference, but they pretty much look identical. That certainly speaks to the manufacturing tolerances. The threading is quite nice, feels just fine to me. I did try one of the other reviewers' suggestions, and turned the head down to where I could apply a bit of pressure to activate the light. Cool, but in a pocket/ keyring, I doubt it would stay at that setting.

"old" and new. The new design has a touch of green glowy stuff around the emitter, for a locator. I wish mine had that, it's a nice feature. Notice the slight difference in the reflectors, the newer one has a finer texture detail.
0717170648.jpg

On the machining, I feel the QR is a bit too tight. This is probably a personal thing, but you can certainly say that this torch will never accidentally fall off of your keyring.

The single AAA battery lasted well more than what I asked for it in over a week of use. Yes, it takes a long time for the charger to fill them up, but it is much easier on the cells that way, and they will last longer than fast charging.

Modes, I used the nickel one the most, because I had it with me almost constantly for two weeks. It has the two modes, and was very useful. A reminder here for those who may not think about "useful lumens". Most of the time, we play (er, quantitatively study) with our torches in daylight/ artificial light. With our eyes adjusted to daytime, it's sometimes difficult to appreciate just how little lumens we actually need in the dark, with dark adjusted lights. I attended a pistol training class, and brought my boss v5 head fed by two 18350's, which was way beyond overkill (but stupidly fun). There was a dude there with a 15 lumen Innova, which some of us initially smirked at. Later on in the class, we were all standing around in complete darkness, and instructor had him shine his torch on the targets, out at about 30 feed. It was plenty of light to our dark-adjusted lights. An interesting experiment, certainly.
So these Beta torches (nickel is two mode: 15/60 and brass three mode: 1/15/80 lumens), are very useful.

Here we are assembling our bikes. My friend has a take-down frame, makes it easy to transport.
0703171828.jpg

Out in the field, this was a great camping torch. Plus, I really enjoyed the warmish tint. For everyday usage, I prefer the tint to be around 4,000 kelvin.
A side note, I purchased this tent second hand, it's a Big Agnes Fish Hook 1-person. under 3.5 pounds, which is important when bicycling, and really a wonderful tent. Incidentally, they are made in Steamboat Springs, so I got to chat with the manufacturer. Cool stuff!
0704172055.jpg

So there you have it. A finely machined American torch. Can't really ask any more for those looking at a small form factor torch. Small enough to be your secondary in an everyday carry (two is one), but extremely well made. Big torches, small torches, I heart them all!
0626171530.jpg

Thanks for the review. Was there any noticeable difference to the beam compared to your older QR, from the modified reflector or whatever else?

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast

You know, I didn't notice anything outstandingly different. They both have a nice smooth spot, with a controlled spill. To my eyes, the older version seems a smidge warmer?

~D

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dan,
Were there any noticeable differences in output Levels between Your older Black QR and the newer Nickel QR?
GL

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beta QR Pass-Around

Got the Betas today...tbh I'd forgotten about the pass-around altogether and was like wtf is this package! Anyways I'll post my thoughts as the week goes on. Initial impressions are very good; the construction is superb and I love the tint.

Edit 8/8/17:

Sent the lights out to their next home a couple days ago.

I loved both Beta's, although the Kappa release just got in the way as I don't keep my flashlights on a keychain. If I ever get a Beta, I'll definitely purchase the clip to use in lieu of the keychain release.

Tint was as expected, and I liked the selection of modes. The brass' threads were a little grittier/harder to turn than I expected, but the aluminum's were perfectly acceptable. Overall, machining was excellent and exuded of quality.

I don't have many AAA lights, so I could only compare the Betas against my Titan Plus. The Titan Plus is brighter and more aesthetically pleasing in my opinion, but the Beta does have a few advantages. I prefer the ability of the Beta to interchange between a clip and a keychain release. The Beta's are also much lighter and have a smaller footprint.

If I had to choose between the Titan Plus and Beta, I would probably go with the Beta. Even though it's not as bright, scarcely will I ever need 300 lumens out of an AAA-based light. The tint, excellent machining, and rock-solid feel win out for me.

Last edited:

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast

So here are a couple pics...sorry, I only have a link. Seems that pics have now been disabled from being uploaded from the Tapatalk app :(

https://imgur.com/a/WjDZV

First is of the Brass QR in my Urban Organizer Mini, and the second is of the two among some of my main EDC lights.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast

So here are a couple pics...sorry, I only have a link. Seems that pics have now been disabled from being uploaded from the Tapatalk app :(
https://imgur.com/a/WjDZV
First is of the Brass QR in my Urban Organizer Mini, and the second is of the two among some of my main EDC lights.
Theodore,
Were You using the individual photo links?
Nice pics!

GVAQYgH.jpg

1W8PjYl.jpg

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just an FYI, when I switched from Photobucket to Imagur, I was so impressed by the quality of the images. The same iPhone pix that looked "average" on Photobucket, look amazing on Imagur. It may be a quirk, but when I copy the direct link, only the link shows but no picture. If I edit my post and repeat the exact same steps, the pictures appear. I have studied it, sure I must have missed something, but it works.

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beta QR Pass-Around

Thanks for the help Got Lumens! I'm not sure what I was trying to do...normally I just hit a button on the app and it opens my picture gallery, but it wouldn't let me this time. I've never used Photobucket, but Imgur has always worked excellent for me :)

Weld Inspector

Enlightened

I received the box today, they are great just like the copper but I was not expecting 2 tints, or glow around the emitters very nice!

Thanks again for including me in the pass around.

Last edited:

Weld Inspector

Enlightened

Did anyone else lego these?

Wasn't expecting the nickel to be 2 mode threw me of at first now I love it. And the glow is beautiful. I really hope I win these I'd love to add them to the collection.

Weld Inspector

Enlightened

My review will be brief as many others have went quite in depth previous to me and have done a very nice job.

I found both lights to be beautifully made with amazing function, I already own the copper version so this was no surprise to me.

I did play around and lego the three lights together and even though I was very busy when they arrived in the mail I still took time to enjoy these lights. The two mode nickel version was a little different since I'm already used to my three mode copper. The glow is a great touch as well.

As I said my review is breif, thank you again for allowing me to participate. Here are a few of the glamour shots I took on my first night with the lights.I did my best to take some unique photos so please let me know what you think.

Regards,
Weld Inspector

Thanks for the help with the photos GL

20170809_223827r.jpg

20170809_224620r.jpg

20170809_225112r.jpg

Last edited:

ironhorse

Enlightened

Package received.

If everyone wants to split up the giveaway and make 2 winners instead of 1, I will include a new identical charger (no packaging) when I send the package to the next person.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast

Package received.
If everyone wants to split up the giveaway and make 2 winners instead of 1, I will include a new identical charger (no packaging) when I send the package to the next person.
I'd totally be in for two winners ^_^
Thank You for the suggestion,
but You just went and announced future announcements before they were supposed to be :thinking:
Your not supposed to pick my brain like that, LOL. Please hold onto your charger, there's more than one.
We all appreciate the enthusiasm these lights bring and the desire to share it once You have found it!

The Pass-Around could use a few more good people. Any CPF member is welcomed to Please feel free and
add your comments, negative or positive, to this thread that can help make this better for everyone.
Please Keep the feedback coming!

Thank You All
GL

ironhorse

Enlightened

Thank You for the suggestion,
but You just went and announced future announcements before they were supposed to be :thinking:
Your not supposed to pick my brain like that, LOL. Please hold onto your charger, there's more than one.
We all appreciate the enthusiasm these lights bring and the desire to share it once You have found it!

The Pass-Around could use a few more good people. Any CPF member is welcomed to Please feel free and
add your comments, negative or positive, to this thread that can help make this better for everyone.
Please Keep the feedback coming!

Thank You All
GL

The reason for my suggestion was to give me a better chance at giving one of these a good home. I mean who would want to win 2, right?

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast

The reason for my suggestion was to give me a better chance at giving one of these a good home. I mean who would want to win 2, right?
The true spirit of a Promethean helping another Promethean, priceless. We'll be sure there is more than one winner of the GAW, ;).
GL

ironhorse

Enlightened

First of all thank k you to Jason for providing the lights, batteries and charger for the pass around and giveaway and Got Lumens for coordinating it.

The tint and CRI are great. The beam is smooth and free of any rings or artifacts. I prefer the nickel. It is much lighter and is not noticeable in the pocket. The two modes are more than enough for my needs.

I was skeptical about the QR, and was expecting it to come apart too easily. I could not have been more wrong. It will not come apart unless you want it apart.

I already have both double a, and triple a's and chargers from Jason, and have had no issues with them.

Weld Inspector

Enlightened

Ironhorse,

Jason definitely went over and above with the design of the quick release, it is also available for a key chain connetor, and I'm pretty sure he has patented the design as well