• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

FireFlies ROT66vn - Most Compact PopCan?

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, it makes everything else look green, while I don't perceive it to be pinkish at all.

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is not good news as i have the Nichia version on the way also. Hope mine isn't trashed like your samples.

I have one nichia champagne bought from before the group buy and one black nicha from the group buy on the way as well. Now I'm praying for them to be in one piece.

No, it makes everything else look green, while I don't perceive it to be pinkish at all.

Do you have an estimate ballpark lumen on your rot66 nichia @ 30 seconds ?

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have Nichia LEDs with almost perfect tint why not just use that on moon as aux? how much less power does the aux LEDs use in comparison I wonder? and if so other than looking cool wouldn't aux LEDs be better in red for a night light? - anyway when the light is off the 4x blue aux LEDs in the button gives off way enough light to find it and navigate around the house in my experience.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Sooo been using this light the last several days. The thin body make the light relatively light but it also kinda make the lights feel cheap. The light is very well designed with excellent performance but does feel a bit cheap. Not sure if Its just me. But in general I think its a good light especially for the money.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have an estimate ballpark lumen on your rot66 nichia @ 30 seconds ?

It depends on what temp you configure the light to start thermally step down at. At its factory default temp (50c I think) it steps down at 30 secs and lowers to 1500ish lumens. If you configure it to 65c, it steps down to 1500 lumens at around 90 secs. The light will step down to 700 lumens (its max regulated output) a couple minutes after that, then stay at 700 for the next 3 or so hours. These numbers are for the Nichia version from Maukka's great review of the ROT66.

If you have Nichia LEDs with almost perfect tint why not just use that on moon as aux? how much less power does the aux LEDs use in comparison I wonder? and if so other than looking cool wouldn't aux LEDs be better in red for a night light? - anyway when the light is off the 4x blue aux LEDs in the button gives off way enough light to find it and navigate around the house in my experience.

I like the super feint glow of the cyan-colored gitd strip myself, I wish the leds on the button were as dim as it and had the same cyan color. Or optionally have cyan colored super dim aux leds on the board and the same cyan colored leds on button. I like that splash of glowing color.

Sooo been using this light the last several days. The thin body make the light relatively light but it also kinda make the lights feel cheap. The light is very well designed with excellent performance but does feel a bit cheap. Not sure if Its just me. But in general I think its a good light especially for the money.

The light feels very solid in my hand-- it's pretty heavy for its size-- and I haven't even gotten the stainless steel tailcap to put on it either. I think the main draw of this light are the kind of Nichia emitters they chose for the Nichia model. They're the now discontinued SW45K D220 R9080 emitters. These are the higher CRI nichia offers, and are guaranteed to be slightly rosy-- a really beautiful tint, it blows my other high cri stuff out of the water.

I am very interested to see what you can do with the Samsung LEDs with a Lee Zircon 804 (green minus 1/4th) over them though, Vinh.

Vinh, don't forget that this light uses 7075 Alu that has nearly 2x the strength and slightly better heat dissipation properties than the normal 6061 Alu in most lights.

That's true, it is 7075 aluminum. I also like the feel of the anodizing on it, it's a slightly rubbery feel that adds more grip than other lights. Almost like an armytek. I think 6061 is better at heat dissipation than 7075 though.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
ROT66 is 8oz with carrier
S6330 is 8.7oz
MK34 is 9.5oz
SR mini is 10oz
MM15 is 11.6oz
M43 is 12.5oz
MT18 is 18.8oz

If anything it is hefty only compared to the D4S at 4.4oz. I always wished that they would add more mass to the Emisar series. As is they are too light with just enough mass to hold things together.

Last edited:

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lighter the better for jacket pocket carry imo. That MT18/MF02 must be quite the brick.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Lighter the better for jacket pocket carry imo. That MT18/MF02 must be quite the brick.

Light weight is a pro for most EDC. For high output lights with todays LED tech more mass is still unfortunately the way to go.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
More mass just just gives a longer short turbo burst. More surface area is what is needed for ideal heat dissipation. I envision a small sodacan light like the Fireflies with its high CRI LEDs to be a good hiking/camping type light that goes in your jacket pocket or in backpack. That's why I think the 7 7135 chips making for a completely flat regulated 700 lumen ouptut for near 4 hours is so good on the Nichia version. I'm not speaking for the XPL HI/monster numbers crowd though.

On another note, I got two!

WZAe4zH.png

Last edited:

Agpp

Enlightened
ROT66 is 8oz with carrier
S6330 is 8.7oz
MK34 is 9.5oz
SR mini is 10oz
MM15 is 11.6oz
M43 is 12.5oz
MT18 is 18.8oz

If anything it is hefty only compared to the D4S at 4.4oz. I always wished that they would add more mass to the Emisar series. As is they are too light with just enough mass to hold things together.

Uhm, I feel very differently about Emisars. Thick shelves, thick walls, thick fins...
Without battery, D4 with 18350 tube is about 13g heavier than 18650 DQG Tiny 4th.

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Uhm, I feel very differently about Emisars. Thick shelves, thick walls, thick fins...
Without battery, D4 with 18350 tube is about 13g heavier than 18650 DQG Tiny 4th.

I agree that the D4 has Thick shelves, thick walls, thick fins but in the end that only makes it average weight for the size and low for a quad.
Both the D4 quad and SC600W single are about the same size and weight at 2.2oz
I think the D4 Ti version with the copper head is just right but then the TI added bezel, body and tail cap arent as good on heat as Al.
D4 copper head and alumn body would make it closer to the E14 in design yet more compact with a side switch. Would've be my ideal D4 setup.
A lot of performance in a compact package = crazy heat very fast. I am sure we are all used to that concept by now. But fact of the matter is lights such as X80, D4, ROT66 are punching way beyond their size. Even the X7, MT18 and X45 with its greater mass are still punching beyond their size. The VN version? Yeah...often even more so.

I am obviously not complaining about too much performance in as little of packaging as possible. I would be one of the last person to do that actually with all the lights I modded. But we shouldn't kid ourselves believing that these high powered compacts are in anyway substantial in weight for its performance point.

Last edited:

mjgsxr

Enlightened
I've been told by Fireflies that if I can't solder a new LED in myself that I've to send my broken ROT66 XP-L to Vinh for repair.

I also have a faulty XP-L ROT66. How did you get in contact with them? I opened a return request on there website, but have not received a reply yet.

mjgsxr

Enlightened
Just another thought, soldering in a new led will not fix the real problem of the optics not having enough clearance. If you fit all new XHP HI leds they will get damaged again. Maybe they will make new optics or a thinner led board.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I will make the appropriate adjustments and may be glue the bezel shut.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
To show how tiny this thing is, I took a picture of me comfortably grasping completely around its handle with my thumb and index finger!
DSC_0125.jpg