• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

FireFlies ROT66vn - Most Compact PopCan?

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
How would you handle the new 4x and 8x 21700 imalents? :crackup:

So what pushed this light into R status? Is it the elusive hybrid version! :popcorn:

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
How would you handle the new 4x and 8x 21700 imalents? :crackup:

So what pushed this light into R status? Is it the illusive hybrid version! :popcorn:

I don't play with Imalents yet so not too worried there hahah. I do have Acebeam X70vn on ordered :)

The light deserves an R because its a great light especially for the money. In terms of build quality though I think M43, X7, and X80 are better. This light is likely the same level of build quality as the MK34 to me. So definitely better than budget lights but not Acebeam, Fenix, or Olight quality yet.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you analyze its anodization quality? On my black ROT66 it's very much a rubbery matte feel, like an Armytek. Is it a HA3 as fireflies says?

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't play with Imalents yet so not too worried there hahah. I do have Acebeam X70vn on ordered :)

The light deserves an R because its a great light especially for the money. In terms of build quality though I think M43, X7, and X80 are better. This light is likely the same level of build quality as the MK34 to me. So definitely better than budget lights but not Acebeam, Fenix, or Olight quality yet.

Agree. Acebeam have less chance of failure.. i just saw a post the guy just broke his acebeam x80gt while he was in turbo mode.. i am sure acebeam have better warranty and will get a replacement soon..

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
How do you analyze its anodization quality? On my black ROT66 it's very much a rubbery matte feel, like an Armytek. Is it a HA3 as fireflies says?

I have no clue what is really HA3 and isnt but from handling so many light I can mostly tell which anode is nice and which is not. Quality is sometime apparent when I engrave a light. Light with quality anode usually have clean crisp lines. Lesser anode can leave crack jagged edges. There are are anode that looks nice but is not very tough. Eagletac for example has anode that looks smooth and shinny but they crack easily like some cerakote. Zebralight, Surefires, and Fenix are the best anode off the top of my head. The rest such as Acebeam, nitecore, Olight, Jetbeam are about average. Lumintop, Manker, Emisar are well above Budget light but not quite there.

It does seem most companies are improving. Lumintop ODL20C for example seem really nice and is likely as good as Acebeam quality if not better than some Acebeams.

Design and machine quality though is another beast. Nitecore is a very innovative company and I like some of their stuff. However they seem to just miss the mark on some of their designs. Of all the Chinese light it seems Fenix is the most consistent. All of these are just my opinions obviously.

I enjoy all the flashlights but learned to respect the most innovative and or excellent for its intended purpose even if its performance is not the best. Examples of these would be MK39, BLF GT/Mini, S6330, X80, H15, H2R, TN42, Tool, Catapult V6, EC65, S mini, U22, Tini, K40, XS, MT18, ROT88, L16, TK series, X45, X65, T21, TN40S, X7, M43, TX25C2, P60s, TK75...I am sure I miss a bunch and for that my apology.

Last edited:

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Nichia version of the ROT66 is a top dog in terms of performance with regards to light quality. No other stock light as far as I know uses R9080 variants of Nichia emitters.

This is like a spiritual successor and evolution to the Eagletac MX25L3C.. The Eagletac still looks cool as hell though with all of its separate reflectors.

I would agree though that there are a lot of 'goldilocks' lights that make sacrifices in raw performance to fill a certain niche that makes them just right for lots of people.

Frumious

Newly Enlightened
I have had my ROT-66 for about a week and have been testing it in the increasing dark hours here in Alaska where I live. Here are my thoughts about this light:

Unboxing: A nice gift-worthy box with a magnetic close. Classy.

Size and weight: Compact ¾ scale soda can format. About half the weight of my BLF Q8 when both have batteries.

Aesthetics: With the champagne color it is elegant. It looks like big jewelry; a welcome alternative to basic black.

Emitter/Color: Mine has 9 XPL HI V3 3A. Neutral White: Excellent color rendition. It's like the noon-day sun is out. I like it.

Brightness: This is a ridiculously bright floodlight. It is the brightest light in my collection that includes Emisar D1, D1S and D4 lights as well as the BLF Q8. It is brighter than my car's headlights on high beam. How many lumens on Turbo? I don't know. But it is considerably brighter than the BLF Q8. (Both are powered by new button top Orbtronic ORB-3120 batteries – i.e.: rewrapped Sony VCT6 - which each kick out 30+ amps for a few minutes.)

Throw distance? It is primarily a floodlight. Yet with its incredible brightness, useable light reaches out a couple hundred yards – only slightly less distance than the Q8.

User Interface: I only use ramping or two-click Turbo. When ramping up there is a quick blink when it reaches maximum brightness. Seems intuitive to me. Firefly/moon level is just right.

Carrying ease: It is pocketable if I am wearing baggy jeans or an overcoat (I find the Q8 is not). It also comes with a substantial lanyard which screws into a (small?) tripod hole. The lanyard's color is also champagne.

Heat management: It gets hot quickly on Turbo. Any longer than 60 seconds requires gloves. During winter in Alaska this heat can be useful. Heat is not an issue when the light is ramped down a bit.

Fun feature: A glow-in-the dark ring surrounding the LEDs is activated by the brightness of the light. It glows a very attractive blue. Nice touch.

Summary: This is a pretty light, a classy light. This is a ridiculously bright floodlight with some throw. This is relatively compact which makes it more useful than bigger lights with similar specs. I keep it close at hand in the glove box of my Bentley.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my LH351D+Lee Filter green minus 1/4th in today, the tint is really great! Gonna be hard deciding between this one and the famous 219B SW45k R9080.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Got my LH351D+Lee Filter green minus 1/4th in today, the tint is really great! Gonna be hard deciding between this one and the famous 219B SW45k R9080.

So you were the one that just ordered this light from me? Wow...I could never connect the emails to the screen name. I enjoy playing with these filters!

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
:twothumbs for post like this

I have had my ROT-66 for about a week and have been testing it in the increasing dark hours here in Alaska where I live. Here are my thoughts about this light:

Unboxing: A nice gift-worthy box with a magnetic close. Classy.

Size and weight: Compact ¾ scale soda can format. About half the weight of my BLF Q8 when both have batteries.

Aesthetics: With the champagne color it is elegant. It looks like big jewelry; a welcome alternative to basic black.

Emitter/Color: Mine has 9 XPL HI V3 3A. Neutral White: Excellent color rendition. It's like the noon-day sun is out. I like it.

Brightness: This is a ridiculously bright floodlight. It is the brightest light in my collection that includes Emisar D1, D1S and D4 lights as well as the BLF Q8. It is brighter than my car's headlights on high beam. How many lumens on Turbo? I don't know. But it is considerably brighter than the BLF Q8. (Both are powered by new button top Orbtronic ORB-3120 batteries – i.e.: rewrapped Sony VCT6 - which each kick out 30+ amps for a few minutes.)

Throw distance? It is primarily a floodlight. Yet with its incredible brightness, useable light reaches out a couple hundred yards – only slightly less distance than the Q8.

User Interface: I only use ramping or two-click Turbo. When ramping up there is a quick blink when it reaches maximum brightness. Seems intuitive to me. Firefly/moon level is just right.

Carrying ease: It is pocketable if I am wearing baggy jeans or an overcoat (I find the Q8 is not). It also comes with a substantial lanyard which screws into a (small?) tripod hole. The lanyard's color is also champagne.

Heat management: It gets hot quickly on Turbo. Any longer than 60 seconds requires gloves. During winter in Alaska this heat can be useful. Heat is not an issue when the light is ramped down a bit.

Fun feature: A glow-in-the dark ring surrounding the LEDs is activated by the brightness of the light. It glows a very attractive blue. Nice touch.

Summary: This is a pretty light, a classy light. This is a ridiculously bright floodlight with some throw. This is relatively compact which makes it more useful than bigger lights with similar specs. I keep it close at hand in the glove box of my Bentley.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
So you were the one that just ordered this light from me? Wow...I could never connect the emails to the screen name. I enjoy playing with these filters!

Aye, that's me. I gotta be one of your more snotty tint connoisseurs.

Comparing the 351D+filter to the XHP50.2 4000k hi cri in my H600FC MK4, the Samsung emitters are slightly rosier. I reckon they'd be very near identical to the Cree LED without the filter. The filter gives them just the right tint.

Compared to the 219B SW45K R9080s in my other ROT66, the Samsungs have a larger, softer hotspot, with a small, slightly brighter spot in the center. The Nichia hotspot is smaller, but more even.

Last edited:

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, how much light (transmittance) are you losing with the filter? I'm tempted to get some amber for my cool white lights, and trying to figure out something for the dedomed xpg2's & xpg3's that remind me of Linda Blair's lunch

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maukka measured 15% loss with 804 filter, 18% loss with 803 filter. Most LEDs will probably want 804.

maukka

Enlightened
I measured the 1/8, 1/4 and 1/2 minus green filters some time ago as well at 89%, 84% and 74% transmittance respectively.