Free Light

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a good suggestion, and essay contest! Heh! If I had a write an essay for it, I don't even know if I'd try. I've always hated writing essays! Any young person willing to write a decent essay for a flashlight is pretty well deserving, I'd say. Another consideration for a recipient could be Former_Mag_User. He's also a high schooler and he once told me that it takes him a whole year to save up for a light!

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Jumpmaster said:
I think instead of a random drawing, there should be some amount of effort put forth by potential recipients...the essay contest would be good. That would sort out the worthy ones from the "Me - me - me!!! Pick me!" ones.

Very generous offer, SolarFlare! Great showing of Christmas spirit along with the others that donated for the Christmas flashlight giveaway!

JM-99
----------------------------

I strongly second JumpMaster's idea.

Base your decision upon (a) demonstrable Need, and (b) demonstrable Merit.

Give potential recipients the opportunity to honestly "compete" for it. Design an essay competition (maybe posted here, where we can judge/have input) wherein they demonstrate their need, deserving-ness, responsibility/ability to be entrusted with this fine light, and potential to spread the spirit of "flashaholism" to others.

Ya gotta screen out the children, takers, and fakers.

Your generosity is commendable. However, this is an opportunity to Make A Statement.

wmpwi

Enlightened
I would think "Write a short essay (100 words or less) on why I should have this light" or something like that. Have them all PMed to you and allow no posts so as to avoid other people voicing their opinions or tossing in their 2 cents worth. There's always someone who will screw it up. Pick the one you like and announce it or not. I would love to read the winner, but I wouldn't want to know who it was. Saves everyone the grief and no one can be embarrassed by their submission or not winning.

AloneInTheDark

Newly Enlightened
Are emitters the same as the Surefire bulb/lamp?

Very generous of you. I find CPF is full of very generous people. :clap:

By the way, I just missed out on the fancier Surefires on the Christmas Gift thread, so if you're doing an essay give me a chance. :)

Last edited:

SolarFlare

Enlightened
OK an essay competition it is :grin2:

The title will be "Why I love flashlights/CPF". Please try to make it no more than 500 words

A few rules,

1. You must be 18 or under, or a full time student, or an active serviceman/woman.
2. You must have registered on CPF on or before the 9th of December.
3. You may post your entry on this thread or PM it to me.
4. The winner will be announced on Saturday the 17th of December at approximately 9.00pm GMT.

Anybody that knows of any members that would qualify give them a heads up :)

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Muwahahaha.....

(I've always hated writing essays, and being that I'm not participating, I think requiring one to win a light is absolutely diabolical! Muwaha!)

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trashman said:
Muwahahaha.....

(I've always hated writing essays, and being that I'm not participating, I think requiring one to win a light is absolutely diabolical! Muwaha!)

I think it will certainly sort out the wheat from the chaff...:)

BTW, I'd like to take credit for the essay contest idea, but nethiker actually posted it first (but if he hadn't first, I would've...:) )

Good luck to the participants.

JM-99

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just look around the forums for good people that dont have an expensive light. Keep note of the possible people that you want to give it to. And after a while, choose one.

-David

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sure would like to be in on this essay contest. Even if I dont win the light, the challenge of the essay would be good enough. In middle school by the way, 13.

lingpau

Newly Enlightened
Make you gift an act of kindness. Sure, everybody would like to have your light, but there are a few CPF members that have been ripped off by a few not so honest members. Check the "Cheers and Jeers" section of CPF and you will know who deserves a break. Contests are great, but I think a member or two that has been cheated by a few dishonest CPF member should be cancelled out by another generous member. After all, its the season for giving and kindness. Just my thoughts. Happy Holidays!

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
He wants to give the light to someone who otherwise could not afford one. Just because someone gets shafted (while still a very sad thing) doesn't mean they cannot afford (or don't already have) a nice flashlight ( or 8)...

I think the essay contest is a good way to determine need and merit.

JM-99

SolarFlare

Enlightened
Thank you Jumpmaster :grin2: , my sentiments exactly. I've had some good ones so far, and this is gonna be difficult even in this format. I've decided to add an arc AA NAT first edition to the prize. The winner can choose which, and there will be a runner up. I'll pop some pics on in a minute for inspiration.

Last edited:

SolarFlare

Enlightened
E1e.jpg

arc.jpg

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'm not going to join in - being that i'm already getting a free light from ksbman i just don't feel happy with trying to get another. one is more than i could possibly expect!

Thanks for your generosity anyway.

--neg

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
Neg2LED said:
i'm not going to join in - being that i'm already getting a free light from ksbman i just don't feel happy with trying to get another. one is more than i could possibly expect!

Thanks for your generosity anyway.

--neg

Kind of the same thing with me. I'm 18, so I don't even know if I count anyways. But I am also in that free light giveaway so I would rather let some one else get this.(even though this is a much nicer light that I am going to get in the other thread) If for some reason that there are no takers, I'd be more that happy to try though.

Thank you for your generosity

Nomad

Enlightened
I'm not even gonna try myself 'cause I'm getting a rockin' good light on Kbsman's thread, but I DID just now send the link to this thread to my nephew so assuming he has the time and joins up to sign up we'll see what happens. :)

SolarFlare

Enlightened
Nobody ever said you're only allowed one Christmas gift :grin2: , everyone who qualifies is welcome to enter, bare in mind you have to win before you get the light :p.

Last edited: