how many mpg do you get?

320 HP, 09 Cadillac STS V8. I average about 32 SPG. That's smiles per gallon. :) Unless The Lovely Mrs. Gardener is accompanying me; then it's a lot less. :tsk:

~ Chance

The only commuting this Caddy does is to church on Sunday. The rest of the time it's driven for fun.

o1UcWtG.jpg

Last edited:

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently switched from an old Jeep Cherokee to a brand new Jetta and my highway gas mileage went from 17 to 43 haha. I'm having a blast!

harro

Enlightened
How do you like the GTD?
It's one of those "shame we don't get that in the US" cars.

My Q5 TDI (3.0l diesel) gets 27 or 28 most of the time in town (worst 23), and 32 to 36 highway. I'm a spirited driver but I find the summer vs winter fuel blend affects it as much as driving style.

Its not a bad car, it suits my needs. I'm by no means a revhead, so the diesel is good in that regard. When you do have a bit of a go, that 350 nm of torque, in a relatively light car, can be fun. It also doesnt suffer any of the dsg or injection ailments that have plagued VW ( of their own doing ), of late. The dsg is the same 6 speed one from the GTI and R32, not the 7 speed problembox.

Thats pretty good mileage from the Q5. Correct me if im wrong, that 3 lt is a V6?

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. 3.7L V6 4x4. On average it's about 16.8mpg. When I'm beating around town in the snow or with the AC on, maybe 15. If I'm cruising at 55mph on a highway with no stops, I can squeeze out 22mph in the best of conditions. Cruising at 75mph on the highway gets me about 19 on longer trips.

On a side note, I just test drove a Subaru Outback. I wasn't impressed. I thought it would be a nice transition away from the Jeep for better gas mileage, but saving only $400/year in gas didn't make sense since that would be like 1.5 payments on the new car! I guess you could figure in life of a new car and maintenance, which I will certainly start seeing having a 12 year old Jeep with 126K miles. I've taken such good care of it though, I can't give it up. It looks better than many 6 year old Jeeps and I could say the same for the condition of the under body/frame. I guess I'll keep my eyes open for a good used Jeep for when mine dies.

At $2/gal...keep pumping and I'll keep burning it up!

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

The last 1300mi on my '17 Santa Fe Sport, I averaged 29.6mpg for all those miles.
I'd say 60~70% of that is highway speeds

Not terrible mileage for a medium size vehicle

Direct Injection makes a big difference

Average is about 44mpg with a BMW 120D at approx. 50% highway, 30% state road and 20% city traffic.

Not the very best mileage but we drive a bit faster here, cruising highways is at about 90mph - 100mph. Depends also on tires, higher mileage on winter tires, lower on summer socks.

Cheers

RBR

90 to 100mph! You drive like Chuck Norris! :devil:

~ C.G.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Corolla,
usually get between 5.0L/100km (47mpgUS) and 5.6 L/100km (42mpgUS)

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Normal average of 29-30 mpg for urban driving in 2013 Elantra GT. Best pure highway (70 mph and A/C) was 36.5 mpg.

Geoff

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
We used to get 40 mph in 1979 Tercel, seating 2 adults and 5 kids-the 2 smallest children were semi effective lookouts for fast coming cars coming up from the rear, not breaking behind the vehicle-though their shrieks were hard to hear over the din of the other children, the road, and the loud tail pipes of the era.

I really think gas fuel cells are the future. In 2000 the car company chief concern was that the car would be too reliable, with no moving parts. Now, you can count on your power doors, power windows, built in GPS, auto pilot, etc to start to flake out in 5 years, making the car unusable unless you throw thousands at the problem. Failing battery packs, computer glitching, broken bluetoothe, are a plus too.

Now, with that hurdle cleared, new revenue streams to tap, even with a reliable engine, I think it the decade of the 100 mpg gas powered fuel cell is coming upon us.

http://newenergyandfuel.com/http:/n...ll-directly-fueled-with-jet-fuel-or-gasoline/

http://whyfiles.org/069renew_energy/5.html

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/426252/gasoline-fuel-cell-would-boost-electric-car-range/

Last edited:

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get about 18 mpg in the full sized Explorer used for grocery store runs and travel destinations, about 27mpg in the Mercedes Benz SLK 230 ( little 4 cylinder with a supercharger) for around town runs like diners and magazine shop visits and family visits

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Landrover discovery series 2 4.0 V8 I get 10mpg around town. Maybe 20 on a long run. Wanted a diesel one ideally but this one was really tidy so the V8 was a compromise

ven

Flashaholic
Landrover discovery series 2 4.0 V8 I get 10mpg around town. Maybe 20 on a long run. Wanted a diesel one ideally but this one was really tidy so the V8 was a compromise

OUCH, i used to feel your pain! 10/12mpg................never seemed to go up tbh, cost an arm and a leg. Looking back, must have been £300 a month on average in fuel, sometimes more.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Gettin' the big 9.6 mpg in the Dodge Ram the company just provided me. That's with a bed cover. Big ole 4x4 with a Hemi that'll pass everything but a gas station.

My Mercury van gets 16+/- city and 30+/- highway with me driving. My Prelude... that's getting years from a tank full all siiting still broken down. But when it's alive it's good for about 25 highway or city. My Ranger is a sipper and gets 30-40 mpg depending on how flat the terrain is. Any ole hill requires a down shift so there goes the mpg...