how many mpg do you get?

torchsarecool

Enlightened
OUCH, i used to feel your pain! 10/12mpg................never seemed to go up tbh, cost an arm and a leg. Looking back, must have been £300 a month on average in fuel, sometimes more.

Lol..that shogun looked cool though. I've fingers crossed for some snow this winter to make it pay off! Though don't get much near Blackpool

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
.. spirited driver but I find the summer vs winter fuel blend affects it as much as driving style.

+

Kept track of my mpg on winter blend gas & I'v lost nearly 7%

In a couple months I'll have a full year of averaged mpg
it'll be over 28mpg using winter & summer blends in my Sante Fe Sport

I use manual shifting about 25% of the time

btw: coasting is the best way to save gas, especially if you have lots of hills
just don't be squirrelly about it or unsafe

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you like the GTD?
It's one of those "shame we don't get that in the US" cars.

My Q5 TDI (3.0l diesel) gets 27 or 28 most of the time in town (worst 23), and 32 to 36 highway. I'm a spirited driver but I find the summer vs winter fuel blend affects it as much as driving style.
Not knocking the Golf or the owner. But the only reason to own one is for economy. They are dull otherwise. Slower, less refined and less fun than their petrol counterparts.

The UK and EU have also obsessed over co2 so many are taxed heavily for high co2 outputs. Diesels tend to have lower co2.

basically what I'm saying is. If you live in the USA you are not remotely missing out by not getting such dull cars. And largely for the fact that your fuel costs vs your income are a far better ratio than in other parts of the world. So running a petrol (aka 'gas') powered car is far less of a hardship.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 333bhp Subaru WRX that averages 30-34mpg, and up to 40mpg on a long run on level ground. It's partially stripped, remapped and the transmission is pretty efficient anyway for a 4x4 performance car. Unlike the thirsty EVO and STi.

I've managed a 12.4 at the drag strip recording a 0-60mph of 3.8secs with spinning budget tyres!

Having owned an Impreza I know that the only way to get close to 30-34mpg AVERAGE is to never use the power, revs and stick to cruising at 50-60mph.

"Real world" mixed averages are going to be mid 20's (imperial gallons or low 20's US gallons). And that'll be on superunleaded fuel which is more pricey. Meaning a pence per mile average correction to 95 RON will probably knock circa 2mpg off the average number.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its funny but I get almost 30mpg in by biggest car and I mean biggest by a long margin too!

2005 Sprinter 118,same mpg no matter how I drive or what I am pulling too?

My Fit got around 40mpg and its replacement CRV gets maybe 28mpg on a long trip but more like 20mpg around town.

The V8 Tundra 4wd,I do not really even care to know.

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not knocking the Golf or the owner. But the only reason to own one is for economy. They are dull otherwise. Slower, less refined and less fun than their petrol counterparts.

The UK and EU have also obsessed over co2 so many are taxed heavily for high co2 outputs. Diesels tend to have lower co2.

basically what I'm saying is. If you live in the USA you are not remotely missing out by not getting such dull cars. And largely for the fact that your fuel costs vs your income are a far better ratio than in other parts of the world. So running a petrol (aka 'gas') powered car is far less of a hardship.

Gotcha. The reason I was curious is because I have the bigger 3.0L tdi in my Q5. The 428 lb-ft torque is so much fun, though it is a heavier vehicle. Here in the states we have the SQ5 with gas only, but my understanding is you have an SQ5 diesel. Hearing of the gtd, I wondered if it would be similar. Sounds like not so much...
Having owned an Impreza I know that the only way to get close to 30-34mpg AVERAGE is to never use the power, revs and stick to cruising at 50-60mph.

"Real world" mixed averages are going to be mid 20's (imperial gallons or low 20's US gallons). And that'll be on superunleaded fuel which is more pricey. Meaning a pence per mile average correction to 95 RON will probably knock circa 2mpg off the average number.
My 05 wrx was an awesome car. Miss that thing. Lots. With or without the Cobb tune and other mods, 28 mpg was about tops. If I was driving around town playing in the snow, 14. How someone could get 34 is beyond me as well... but good for them... :)

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
10 city and 15 highway on winter blend in a 2006 F150. Sad thing is the old truck had better mileage, 4WD, better acceleration and low end power, way more comfortable interior, better fabric, fewer engine issues, and easier to work on.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Just took a trip to the coast in my wife's new CRV. I'm fairly amazed at how well that peanut of a turbo 1.5 with a CVT performs. Gets up to speed pretty quick, with little drama, and it got an honest 35.7 mpg at return fill-up. The miles driven (385) were about 80% highway and I did keep to the speed limit. Wife's been getting 29-30 mpg in her around the town driving.

Geoff

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just took a trip to the coast in my wife's new CRV. I'm fairly amazed at how well that peanut of a turbo 1.5 with a CVT performs. Gets up to speed pretty quick, with little drama, and it got an honest 35.7 mpg at return fill-up. The miles driven (385) were about 80% highway and I did keep to the speed limit. Wife's been getting 29-30 mpg in her around the town driving.

Geoff
Bought my wife a '16 crv for her birthday and we've just about put 2k mi on it, we're getting avg 29mpg. We chose the larger engine but has the cvt. So far we're very happy with it. Our last car was a civic lx and it was only getting 23c 25hwy. But that was an '04

Need a Light?

Newly Enlightened
00 Camry CE with a 2.2 and a 5 speed, haven't been able to fill the tank for a while, but when I got it about 2 years ago, I could get 30ish average.

Then as a delivery driver it went to about 24 average.

Gets around 25mpg mixed highway/city/back roads, which is okay. I'd rather have the 3.0 v6 with the 5 speed, almost 200hp and same mileage...

But it was only $800, and I've got maybe $4-500 in parts in it over the course of about 37k miles (about 165k now) so I like it.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
2016 sonata, get around 30-32 on highway, without traffic, in the city (nyc) in summer time with ac on, around 20

Illum

Flashaholic
Depends on where I drive, how I drive, and if I'm dragging something on the hitch. City 20.6, highway 21.5, dragging the fat trailer and loaded with lawn equipment 9....

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I drive a 2002 Prius, and I drive it like any car. I am still getting 55 MPG if I do a reasonable speed on the freeway. That includes up and down coastal hills. Drops to 50 mph if I'm driving 70.

I drive it so little that the engine seldom comes to temperature, so city driving (2 miles at a time) is only 37. Longer city trips go up to the mid 40s.

Not too bad for a 15 year old car with 147,000 miles on it.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nissan X-Trail T31 2.5L -- 19.6 mpg average. Once upon a time could not drive fast on a highway because of repair works and immediate consumption fell to 39.2 mpg. But it was boooring :)

wjv

Enlightened
2013 KIA RIO
Can get 40 mpg on the highway if I keep it at 65, by 36-37 is more realistic.
Add some city driving and I can be down to 31-32.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
2015 Subaru Outback CVT 2.5L: 40-41 mpg highway, ~34-35 mpg mixed around town. this has the louvers in front that shut at highway speeds, contributing to less airflow thru the engine compartment.
2015 Subaru Forester CVT 2.5L: 36-37 mpg highway, 32-33 mpg mixed around town. no louvers and a higher body profile == increased wind resistance.
2015 Subaru Forester manual xmsn 2.5L: ~34-35 highway, ~30 mpg primarily city driving. not much on freeways.
In the winter, all these Autos drop to 30mpg or a bit less due to outside temps & air/fuel mixture.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
My '07 CR-V gets just over 30 MPG on a flat surface @ 80 MPH, but California isn't flat, and I don't always do 80..

Gettin' the big 9.6 mpg in the Dodge Ram the company just provided me. That's with a bed cover.

Bed cover reduces gas mileage, always leave the bed open and tailgate closed.

Latest posts