How to fight your flashlight buying addiction

Boko

Newly Enlightened
It's easy to give up buying torches. I should know, I've done it lots of times.
(Apologies to Mark Twain.)

Purchasing lights from only one manufacturer helps, but it's not a cure.

~ Chance
DDzUAU2.jpg

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just invest in some top shelf fishing gear. Got four shimano stella and one shimano lesath this summer, and now i cant afford any more lights :)

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do what some in here already mentioned to conquer this addiction of buying new flashlights every week --> I only have one light for a specific task.

That's the theory, the pratice looks a little bit different ;-), but I think it works quite well. I have a decent amount of flashlights but when I don't use one I will usually sell it or give it away if it doesn't a personal value for me. I sometimes cheat myself by finding new purposes. And I often find myself looking for new flashlights but that's also my way of staying up to date.

TimeOnTarget

Newly Enlightened
I am just trying to enjoy the process. I like to do a lot of research before I buy in order to make a quality informed decision, but sometimes you just have to see it for yourself.

If all your bills are paid, and you have saved for the future, then why not?

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good choice on the HDS - I would also buy this one in case I would like to have only one flashlight. But I would also need one small flashlight for EDC (I like the SF Sidekick, not the smallest one but it's my EDC right now). And of course a headlamp for hiking :).

I had a small collection of flashlights few years ago, then I sold all of them. And now the "addiction" is coming back recently. I wish I didn't sell some of those flashlights (especially Surefire) :-/. I think it's okay to buy flashlights just for a "collection" - as long as you enjoy it and you are spending only a small/reasonable part of your savings/income, so that you don't really regret it. And I am trying to buy items that are more likely to keep their value and I can sell them again if I get bored.

Last edited:

SIGINT-228

Newly Enlightened
Something about a well-engineered piece of gear that functions well and can take a beating...like a classic Sig Sauer P series pistol. That's why we can't stop acquiring, and then when we can't acquire anymore we shift to drooling over.

SIGINT

ven

Flashaholic
I do what some in here already mentioned to conquer this addiction of buying new flashlights every week --> I only have one light for a specific task.

That's the theory, the pratice looks a little bit different ;-), but I think it works quite well. I have a decent amount of flashlights but when I don't use one I will usually sell it or give it away if it doesn't a personal value for me. I sometimes cheat myself by finding new purposes. And I often find myself looking for new flashlights but that's also my way of staying up to date.

Same here, just a flashlight for each task.......................i seem to generate new tasks every week, i have around 100 tasks on the go right now.:crazy:

kj2

Flashaholic
I somehow haven't bought that many lights this year. And I hope to keep it that way. I've the lights that suit me, and some more. Plus, most of the newly released lights don't attract me.
Even trying to downsize a little bit, but the market is small in Europe. So finding buyers isn't that easy.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I chose my user name/handle a decade ago, it wasn't an accident or a joke; hobbies can really suck you in.

A few months ago I liquidated a giant lot of electronics and flashlights for pennies on the dollar.
I lost a lot of money in the sale but the rush of having it all gone in one fell swoop was worth it to no longer have the burden hanging over me.

And you know what?
All that stuff?

I don't miss it at all.

Any flashlights/lanterns I acquire now are customs, and they are both very few and very far between.

A good way to remind one's self of this is to go away from computers, electronics, hobbies, toys...on a multi-day camping trip or other outing/adventure.
It helps reset the mind to what you really need.

I'm still far from where I wish to be.

My favorite quotes from this thread so far:

"Impulsive, uncontrollable spending can be a destructive addiction. Enjoying a hobby is quite a different affair."

"You know that feeling, right? Having something in the mail..."

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

"If the feeling of expectation is greater than the feeling of having, I'd agree that some introspection is necessary."

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recognized the addiction early. It was actually quite easy for me, but I can see how it can get out of hand for others. There are so many great ones out there but like anything, moderation is key.

1) I first recognized that flashlights are tools for seeing in the dark, they aren't shelf queens, they aren't irreplaceable they aren't exotic...well for my uses anyway. Once I define something for a specific use, limits come into place.

2) I defined the parameters, one tool for each need and it has to be either AA or AAA. It has to be neutral white or better for CRI. It has to have no PWM.

3) Then price limits come into play and I search for the best performer for the dollar.

4) Then I defined the scope, one headlamp, one tactical, one pocket/keychain, one thrower, one modded, one old school (which I already had).

These definitions really narrow down the choices and really, there is not another light out there that I need or want. All the lights I have fit and fulfill a specific possible trigger. My result is what you see below.

I still come here to look and see what is the latest hub-bub..but as far as acquisitions go, I can't find a void to fill...so the impulse leaves.

I think you are on right track. You define the useful task, understanding eye cone/rod ratio, minimum lux needed for task, ideal/minimum runtime, necessary form factor, and best available lpw led/highest efficiency driver, highest density power source with protection (smart charger in fireproof tin), and best heatsink.

The wasted money is buying any light that falls down in a single spec. No matter how much you want to love a light, you can't if just below needed lux, or it dies an hpur before workday ends, the led burns out due to too high drive level, the tint is green or purple. It lacks a scratch proof anti reflective lens.

Apart from wasting money on cheap lights, money (lots of time and money) will be spent learning what you really need.

Now, there are lights out there that should be 100 range lights, with price tags into the hundreds that have me scratching my head, wondering who is stupid enough to buy. Probably more laziness, combined with good jobs, that allows the $800 device that sells with lower specs than the $150 alternative.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am now happy with my work lighting, feeling this issue finally solved after 30 years of struggling. However, the edc struggle for anything close to a worklight spec, is far from over. . My HR20 offers half the needed lux or runtime needed to replace my worklights. And this is a 20mm xpl hi. Infinitely dimming cc (claimed). . But unless battery capacity doubles, i do not expect any improvement in the next 10 years.

The other thing to add, is thinking small can cost a bundle of money. This applies to so many areas in life. For my corded worklights, i wasted thousands, until I popped out $350 for my first 130k lumen light: and then my spirit was satisfied, because I finally found the final work light. Now, anything under 80k lumens is a nightlight.

Last edited:

Keitho

Enlightened
I like that technique, dgarb--hope that a 1x18650, 1,000 lumen headlamp like the HR20 will replace a 130,000 lumen work light! You won't need to feed that flashlight buying addiction for 10 years, or a lot more! :twothumbs

I'm going to be smiling all day, picturing wearing 130 HR20's on my head...I'd better do some neck exercises!

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
See through the marketing and realize that with very few exceptions that new light isn't really better than the last.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
For online purchasing addicts:

Use strong passwords at places you buy from and don't write them down.
Log out when done.

It'll be such a pitb to log back in, ask for new password, reset/confirm the password and all that just to purchase a flashlight you'll just stop.

For store purchase addicts:
That's a tough on there... I'll let you know if I ever figure that one out.

ven

Flashaholic
For online purchasing addicts:

Use strong passwords at places you buy from and don't write them down.
Log out when done.

It'll be such a pitb to log back in, ask for new password, reset/confirm the password and all that just to purchase a flashlight you'll just stop.

For store purchase addicts:
That's a tough on there... I'll let you know if I ever figure that one out.

Like that mr fixer! Stores are pretty easy as well, just dont take the wallet..................no money=no buying

KhazukX

Newly Enlightened
I think this "addiction" is much harder for new hobbyists like myself. Help... :D

Kidding aside, I agree with @Woods Walker. Anything is better than drug addiction.