How to fight your flashlight buying addiction

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has been famously asked, "if a tree falls in a forest, does it make a sound?" Who cares, as there are no real world implications? The important question is, "If an object is lit and no one is looking at it, is it really illuminated?" This question has huge implications for the user and the Planet.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
See through the marketing and realize that with very few exceptions that new light isn't really better than the last.

I gave up on brick and mortar years ago. You will waste money. A check list of specs and a return policy.

Buying my next phone on this principle seems harder. There are more essential phone specs, and not one phone that meets them all. Thus, always dissatisfaction.

And yes, if someone makes fixed lighting that breaks the 150lpw and 80k lumen, if a flashlight reaches mid 200lpw at 10 hr 500 lumen range, I will need to upgrade. Because it ain't abour seeing, but seeing well, when safety, money, and well being is at stake.

Though I have zero hope for phone specs. My 1999 pentium 166 with 96 meg of ram on windows 98 could fly circles around a modern Android phone. Voice recognition way better. Though very little video. Uptime secret with win 98 was, mscinfig, resource meter under 23 percent, stay alive, no usb, and preventative reboot once a day. My shutdown and reboote time was 18 seconds. Today, it takes over one or two minutes on an octacore. And pages load slower than in dialup days, if you knew how to use Opera and a dialup accelerator.

Rstype

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's bad.... even while driving I look at the signs telling me a "rotary" up ahead and I think hds systems rotary light.
whats been working for me is one in one out. If I buy one then one has to go. I'm down to the few I treasure so it's been keeping me mostly at bay.... but then again one more can't hurt right ?

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
See through the marketing and realize that with very few exceptions that new light isn't really better than the last.

I have skipped a few purchases because I realize I already have a light that is very similar. I also don't want to have to buy a new high output IMR battery to go with a new light when I already have a bunch of good 18650's already.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sell stuff off. Some lights more than once. Yes I lose some money that way but I'm out WAY less money than I would be if I had a bunch of flashlights sitting around. I'm not a collector and I'm not loaded so if I don't love something or it's not getting used it gets sold. THEN....when I realize I can't live without it....I may get it again knowing full well that it's here to stay. But I'm an idiot so don't listen to me.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Like that mr fixer! Stores are pretty easy as well, just dont take the wallet..................no money=no buying

Wife goes to store without me..... issue resolved.

I have an issue with eating too much ice cream.
I asked the Mrs to buy me a carton of mint chocolate chip every week. She says "but you don't like mint chocolate chip".. I reply "exactly"... she responds "want to go to sprawl mart with me?" I reply "only if you make me stay away from the flashlights"... to which she replies (knowing that aint gonna happen) "I'll see you when I get back".

ven

Flashaholic
Excellent , that is team work!

My weakness is the interweb, too easy to read up on things and think " oooooooooo i need that" . Luckily I am not heavily into knives(have a handful and thats it). I am a bit of a gadget guy, luckily past the cheap chinese stuff of years back. Fairly under control i think right now, UK stores make it super easy to walk past their flashlights without picking any up.......................because they are *beep* :laughing:

Survival/camping type shops are not that easy to walk out of empty handed.......................again none local= money saved.

From days past where you had to go into a bank or draw money out, feels like you are actually spending money (physically). Now with cards and interweb shopping, no cash is seen..............does not feel like spending money at times which does not help!

Mr. Shawn

Enlightened
Since I have multiple torches that fit a handful of basic needs/scenarios, a desire to buy another torch rarely bubbles up. However, if I do get an urge, I will check out the latest torches and possibly start planning the next purchase, but then I remember how much has been lost by the thousands (millions?) of people impacted by the recent hurricanes (specifically, Harvey and Irma), and the urge passes. The humbling realization is that I am incredibly fortunate and content with what I have, so I will donate what I can to help those in need.

Rafael Jimenez

Enlightened
I started to get addicted, all of a sudden I had about 15 lights and started to see that I still wanted more and more. I was reading at the time a book of quotes by Eric Hoffer(very interesting author), and one of his quotes says: We never have enough of the things we don't need to be happy. This opened my eyes in a way, so I gave a few light away to people who needed one, and kept my 2 Varapower (2000 and turbo2) my 3 Malkoff's and 2 HDS, plus my tiny monster 26 and a Klarus RS30 that I like because it's flat and fits nicely in my back pocket. I like to look at the classifieds here in cpf, but rarely buy. Not long ago I got a Elzetta alpha for 57.00 and it's cool, even if rechargeable's don't work good in it and I have to use primary's.

The good thing about this hobby is that since I have a bunch of lights I take my dog for a 1 hr. walk every night so my wife does not ask why I have all the flashlights for.

Last edited:

VE3RADIO

Newly Enlightened
Want to talk about addiction? So I am a hobby guy for sure.. and one night at a meetup with friends for another expensive hobby one of the members brought along a Niwalker FA09 and once I saw it I knew I had to get one.. and the addiction began..

So a month later.. I have now bought over $1000 bux in lights..

- Niwalker FA09
- Thrunite TN30 (2016)
- Thrunite TN35
- Thrunite TN4A HI
- Thrunite TN4A XP
- Thrunite TN42
- Atactical A1
- Atactical A1S
- Nitecore TIP
- Nitecore Tube

In addition I have bought no less than 4 other Thrunite TN4A for friends and family who I thought should have one.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has been famously asked, "if a tree falls in a forest, does it make a sound?"

I actually learned the answer to this question.

If a tree falls in the forest, when it smacks into the ground, it causes the molecules in the air to vibrate away from the point of origin. When those vibrating air molecules reach our ear, the sensations are converted in our brain to what we construe to be "sound." The air molecules will vibrate whether we are there or not; however, the subjective perception of "sound" requires a listener to experience it. If there is a being to perceive the translation of vibrating air into a sensory event, then there is "sound"; otherwise, it is simply the vibration of air molecules.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually learned the answer to this question.

If a tree falls in the forest, when it smacks into the ground, it causes the molecules in the air to vibrate away from the point of origin. When those vibrating air molecules reach our ear, the sensations are converted in our brain to what we construe to be "sound." The air molecules will vibrate whether we are there or not; however, the subjective perception of "sound" requires a listener to experience it. If there is a being to perceive the translation of vibrating air into a sensory event, then there is "sound"; otherwise, it is simply the vibration of air molecules.

Correct. Now, I await you photon/sight version of this "sound phenomena". I will leave it up to you.

Unlike sound, there are many levels of sight, as there are different cells in the eye with different functions. Also, we often don't see what we are looking straight upon: so it that object really "illuminated" or just "irradiated"?

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
So how many lights have people bought since this thread started:poke:

None here.
I'm interested in a successor to the Armytek Predator Pro XB-H though, side switch and 2x 18650 tube would be nice.

Last edited: