How to fight your flashlight buying addiction

evanrocks

Newly Enlightened
I mostly use my nicer lights on a rifle or pistol and want good output for those, so waiting every 2 years or so usually brings about something worthwhile to upgrade to. I also try to offload lights that sit around and still have some value in them. It's difficult to keep electronics past a certain period where their functional value is too little.

If my kids partially destroy a switch boot or something, then I'll keep it around for them :laughing:

mickb

Enlightened
I only have 4 lights, an allround duty/rifle light, and a decent headlamp. And a backup of each. This pretty much describes the breakdown of all my equipment. However I can tend to sell my old stuff too quickly if I find something better. Something better defined as trying to find the 'Ak-47' of an item type. That is a perfect combination of moderate power/functionality/durability that becomes timeless in its effectiveness. I also find if you apply items you love to a technical hobby or active pursuit(say like cycling with your lights, or hiking or game spotting) it keeps things in perspective. Your brain chemistry relegates the item to being just the tool, not the goal.

Last edited:

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also find if you apply items you love to a technical hobby or active pursuit(say like cycling with your lights, or hiking or game spotting) it keeps things in perspective. Your brain chemistry relegates the item to being just the tool, not the goal.

Really great tip! I don't WANT a collection of lights, but I end with one anyway. I'd rather look at it and see a tool, and I mostly do, but I have a habit of wanting to double up on good stuff.

Taz80

Enlightened
Lights being tools doesn't really help, as I am always trying to find the best most efficient tool for the job. This includes lights, so I have ended up with a lot of tools and lights. This does have a positive side, when my kids move out, as my son just did, I can supply them with a set of tools and some nice lights.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lights being tools doesn't really help, as I am always trying to find the best most efficient tool for the job. This includes lights, so I have ended up with a lot of tools and lights. This does have a positive side, when my kids move out, as my son just did, I can supply them with a set of tools and some nice lights.

Stop buying lights that "mostly" do the job. If one spec is weak, don't buy-as most the money is wasted on lighting we want to love but cannot. Figuring out the specs takes years of research, field testing, lux meters, eye exams, and money buying subpar lights.

I am telling you, don't buy any light with sub par, led efficiency, subpar driver efficiency, sub par heat sink, sub par battery configuration, sub par ar glass, sub par reflector/columumnation, subpar runtime level, or optimized for higher drive level than needed, don't buy that too heavy light. People get hung up on cri, tire proof, and water tight. Most post 2014 lights render color fine, and Kelvin matters more than cri. You can always water proof your own lights. I don't run over my lights with car any more than my cell phone. Well, I did back up over a laptop in 1995, had one phone ran over in 2003, but never a headlamp or flashlight. Used for tasks, you don't need same parameters as jogging, edc, extreme sports. Biking, may need a third or quarter runtime of task. Painting, 4 to 10- even 40- times more lux than carpenter (closer to biking at high speed). Navigating dark room , a quarter lux. All people over age 40 need more light to see details up close, so buyers in their late 30s beware.

To recap, stop buying subpar lights, of any price-high or low. Light makers need to stop and design task specific lighting! They need to list the lamp level lpw, not the lumen output which is the, "Wow, I am really stupid! Impressed now?" factor. (Unfortunately, usually, there is, sadly, a correlation between the max lumen number and led bin used the light.)

Defining the specifications, cost the most. So, is it an addiction or a quest done poorly?

Last edited:

arKmm

Enlightened
I only allow myself to buy something if there is a good business case or need for it. As such, I have limited myself and now have a torch for each role I need. Therefore if I'm getting a new one, then an old one will move on.

Bedstand Light: Maglite 4D with XPG-2 Drop-In
Garage Light (where I work on the motorbike): Maglite ML300L 2D
Car Light (kept in the boot all year round): Maglite 4D with XPG-2 Drop-In
Duty-Belt Torch (LEO): Surefire 6Pvn Quad XPL
Duty-Bag Torch (LEO): Custom Maglite ML300L 3D with XHP50 and custom driver running on 26650s
EDC Torch: A button keyring light. Yep, that simple!

And that's everything. Nothing new unless it replaces one of those. I am considering getting a better quality EDC but as yet haven't settled on one, and I'm looking to replace my Duty-Bag torch because I'm forever scared that someone will steal the Maglite or I'll lose it!