Lightsaver miser guts fit sf 6p tail!

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder why they say no LED?

LiftdT4R, I can't give you a technical reason, but I tried one of my recently-arrived Lightsavers on an E2L AA Outdoorsman with an E2C adapter, Z44, and M31L. It didn't really work. No flickering that I noticed, but on the 2nd click, it dropped down in brightness, but just barely. Certainly not 50%. Three clicks in a row dropped the brightness down twice, but again, just barely each time. For whatever reason - at least for me - it didn't work the way that it works with incan.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
To run an incand bulb dimmer, all you need to do is just lower the voltage (under drive) but LED driver needs minimum voltage to run. Anything less won't even powerize the driver.
To run an LED dimmer, driver needs to control the current.

=============
I plan on running mine on 2 IMR 16430's and a Lumens Factory HO-E2R.
Interesting that while they market their product for e2e which is 6v flashlight, they are talking about 5.5v limit
pair of Lithium primaries will run OK within the voltage limit but pair of rechargeable will have way higher than limit.

Last edited:

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
OP says he has been running his on
2x16350 imr for a year with no problems. The 6V limit might be bogus and just a CYA by the company.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Man this little tailcap is AWESOME!!! Wow.

I always considered the A2 Aviator to have a big advantage over the E2E in that it offered a long running mode for those times when you didn't need full output. Now with this tailcap, it has certainly closed the gap some between these two lights usefulness.

And it seems to be running just fine with 2X16350 IMR's so far.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Here is a piece of useful information I found. Look at that runtime and efficiency!

The values shown show burn times with a discharge to 50% off charged battery voltage. Click here to View the Chart.
• P60 6V FP � Full Power discharge 100%
• P60 6V MP � Medium Power discharge 50%
• P60 6V LP � Low Power discharge 25%Test Value Time for Useful Light to 50% of battery voltage:
• 100% - 1H 12 Minutes
• 50% - 2H 24 Minutes
• 25%- 4H 10 Minutes
• Slow Function Only -- Can achieve a 8X factor of battery life in emergency conditions.

Apparently they make/made an Olive drab tailcap too. I emailed the Ebay seller but he says he is not likely to get one in stock.

I would really like to know how this tailcap is working exactly. I also wonder if the lamp life will be reduced.

sidfishez

Newly Enlightened
I just removed the mechanism from a lightsaver I already had and tried it on a nitrolon cap. The assembly only goes so far into the cap, so the button is not quite flush with the outside of the cap. Also the cap only goes on a couple of turns. Outside of that, the switch works as described: three light levels and two blinking modes.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just removed the mechanism from a lightsaver I already had and tried it on a nitrolon cap. The assembly only goes so far into the cap, so the button is not quite flush with the outside of the cap. Also the cap only goes on a couple of turns. Outside of that, the switch works as described: three light levels and two blinking modes.

I belive it will work, ma tumba already told he's using it for some period of time but i'm eachy on that true 6V-12V option...

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont understand the voltage limit. When on, the voltage drop over the switch is a small fraction of the battery voltage because most of it drops over the bulb. When off, there is no current to burn anything inside the switch

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont understand the voltage limit. When on, the voltage drop over the switch is a small fraction of the battery voltage because most of it drops over the bulb. When off, there is no current to burn anything inside the switch

I'm not much into electrics/electronics knowledge, i'm more of a guy "if it works i use". The thing i'm stuck on this army option is because it's for army so it should be more rugged.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
After using my Lightsaver miser for the last few nights I have to say, unequivocally, that this little jem is the most amazing piece of kit I've encountered in a long time. I couldn't be more happy. It's almost like turning an incan into an LED.

How has this thing been so criminally overlooked here amongst us flashaholics?

I would gladly pay double, triple even what these are selling for.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
After using my Lightsaver miser for the last few nights I have to say, unequivocally, that this little jem is the most amazing piece of kit I've encountered in a long time. I couldn't be more happy. It's almost like turning an incan into an LED.

How has this thing been so criminally overlooked here amongst us flashaholics?

I would gladly pay double, triple even what these are selling for.

Exactly! That's why i'm harassing armyproperty with emails. Still no response. I need more options!

The Whispering Gallery

Newly Enlightened
Ordered 2. I've been wanting a multimode incandescent light for a couple of years. Is there any way to add a resistor to a 6P or similar host to get even more levels? Something like a high/low ring that would work with a P60 lamp?

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
I discovered a small shortcoming with the Lightsaver miser tailcap last night. Apparently, if the light gets jarred/shaken hard enough, the light will shut off. I had to shake it quite hard in order for it to do so, so in real world use, it will probably never be an issue.

I'm not sure if running a single cell like a 17670 or 16650 would eliminate this problem or not.

Not a biggie, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Ok, I just put a 16650 cell in and tried to duplicate the problem above. No issues. So it apparently is only when running two cells.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess that when you shake the light there are moments when batteries disconnect from the bulb for the spring is not strong enough. The 16650 is a bit thicker than 16350, so friction would help keeping it in place