Malkoff "Hound Dog"

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Malkoff "Hound Dog" coming soon!

The reflector was fine tuned to give this great throw with no wrinkles in the beam. The head will fit the existing MD series bodies. It will have the twist hi/low feature built into the head already. I believe eventually Gene will sell the head separately. So its a great compliment to the already existing MD series lego components. The beam is much tighter and stronger than the XP-G drop in for the Maglite series, but with good spill.

I will of course have to make a video.

recDNA

Flashaholic

This may be my first malkoff....but by the time I wait for reviews with lux numbers it will be sold out forever. I'm hoping for 25,000 lux at 1 m. If less I probably wouldn't notice the difference with my G5.

Moka

Enlightened

The input voltage is 5 to 12 volts. It can use two to four CR123 lithium batteries or two to three rechargeable lithium ion batteries (use protected cells only). The current draw is approximately 1 Amp at 6v and 750ma at 9v.

I know Gene likes to chime in here, so this is a question for you... (or someone else that knows definitively).
I'm looking at the MD3 body option for mine, so that I can run two 18500s or 3 RCR123s, you say it can run on 3 Rechargeable Li-Ions above, at full top off that'll come to 12.6V... Is that still safe for the Light as the voltage range is 5-12V? :confused: Don't wanna fry it :faint:

Cheers.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

I know Gene likes to chime in here, so this is a question for you... (or someone else that knows definitively).
I'm looking at the MD3 body option for mine, so that I can run two 18500s or 3 RCR123s, you say it can run on 3 Rechargeable Li-Ions above, at full top off that'll come to 12.6V... Is that still safe for the Light as the voltage range is 5-12V? :confused: Don't wanna fry it :faint:

Cheers.

Look what this guy says about LiIon's in the Hound Dog.

Bill

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Holy crap. I love throwers. Hmmm. More thinkin to do. But I'm in the market for a 1 cell EDC do it all light. But wow, I can't wait to see beamshots from these suckers....

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cheers.

It will run with 3 RCR123's, talked to Gene today. Its going to draw 1 amp at 6V and 0.75 amps at 9V and 0.5 amp at 12V.

3 RCR123 only read 12.6V under no load condition. At 0.5A the voltage will sag and its not an issue. Gene has tested it to make sure its up to his very high standard of reliability.

Now for the really hot news for all those waiting to hear. The LED current is in the 1.40 to 1.49 Amp range. It will have a 22 ohm resistor in the low mode ring to allow 40 to 60 lumens based on the voltage used, so it will have a very useful low mode with excellent run time.

I should have one in hand for testing in about 8 days from 7/24/10. This will be very easily run on an MD2 with 2 standard lithium batteries (also 2 RCR123) or in an MD3 with 3 it should run 30% longer and the MD4 with 2X18650's or 4 CR123's it should run basically double that of the MD2.
:D

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think I will get the MD3 and run it on 2x18500. I wonder how much longer that will run than the 2xcr123?

Moka

Enlightened

It will run with 3 RCR123's, talked to Gene today. Its going to draw 1 amp at 6V and 0.75 amps at 9V and 0.5 amp at 12V.

3 RCR123 only read 12.6V under no load condition. At 0.5A the voltage will sag and its not an issue. Gene has tested it to make sure its up to his very high standard of reliability.

Now for the really hot news for all those waiting to hear. The LED current is in the 1.40 to 1.49 Amp range. It will have a 22 ohm resistor in the low mode ring to allow 40 to 60 lumens based on the voltage used, so it will have a very useful low mode with excellent run time.

I should have one in hand for testing in about 8 days from 7/24/10. This will be very easily run on an MD2 with 2 standard lithium batteries (also 2 RCR123) or in an MD3 with 3 it should run 30% longer and the MD4 with 2X18650's or 4 CR123's it should run basically double that of the MD2.
:D

Glad to hear... Was hoping that was the case, was going to call him, but time difference would mean he'd be pretty mad at me... :nana: lol

Thanks Gman

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

This one has to be the best Malkoff ever made.
I like the idea of using 2x18650 *or* 4x123, much flexibility here. Use Li-Ion when you can, use 123s as a backup. 5V-12V is ideal for me.

7-degree beam is also real neat, just a shade tighter than 8-degree M60 beam as far as I understand? It's really not *that* tight, and a lot wider than say Mag beams. So 7 degrees are still very practical for all around use.

Dual mode is also exactly what I want, and the lumen choices couldn't be better. Any idea of the runtime?

Question, what kind of holster would it fit in?

jellydonut

Enlightened

Okay, so, I don't really need a thrower.. But it's a Malkoff so I need it.:shrug:

Added myself to The List..:naughty:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Does anybody know what the 1 meter lux readings could be?

Mayb 20k lux at 1 meter:popcorn:

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wish i read my emails two days ago, but what a great surprise that email was, i got to get me one of these!!

jellydonut

Enlightened

Retarded question here, but how do I even subscribe to Gene's newsletter?:fail: I can't find it on the site.:tired:

pulstar

Enlightened

Does the 199$ price include md2/3/4 body or is it for the head only? In that case, it looks a bit pricey, but on the other hand, it's Malkoff!:D It really looks very tempting!