New Malkoff MDC in the works.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would be awesome to swap that onto the upcoming 2xAA body.

for some reason I was thinking 219 was 90+ cri Instead of 85+, must have been something else, or A vs b.

jhp762

Newly Enlightened
I pre-ordered one of the mdc219's and received it yesterday. Overall, I like the quality of the light that comes out of the flashlight. Amazing spill, creamy white light, plenty bright, and the colors pop off of what you're shining the light at. But, the machine work on the body and threads was jagged and sharp. I emailed illumination supply but haven't received a response yet. I would have really liked to have had a choice in the McClicky press weight. It seems to be rather hard. Also, the light gets really hot. Like... really really hot when it's on high.

But it is small, perfectly pocketable, and a handsome light with a great beam and color. Really though, the best part of this light is the emitter... I would have rather bought a surefire and a Nailbender Nichia drop-in. :/

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
But, the machine work on the body and threads was jagged and sharp. I would have really liked to have had a choice in the McClicky press weight. It seems to be rather hard.

Also, the light gets really hot. Like... really really hot when it's on high.

... I would have rather bought a surefire and a Nailbender Nichia drop-in. :/

I only have one MDC body, but the machining on my example is done extremely well, with all edges crisp and straight. I suggest you try another one, since yours doesn't seem to to Gene's typical high standard.

Gene uses the same design for the MDC tail as the MD2 tailcap. The o-ring located outside the switch boot is easily removed, and then the boot itself can be pulled out. The outer flange of the boot is slightly larger in diameter than an Oveready McClicky switch boot, with the silicone SoftPress boot being larger than the others. The SoftPress boot drops right into the body in place of the standard boot, and the o-ring goes neatly into place. The smaller flange may slightly reduce the water proofness of the light, but it definitely makes the switch easier to press/click. My body, with E2/Scout head is sitting on the bottom of a large plastic water bottle at the moment. I don't expect any water intrusion.

It's a 200 lumen light that is quite small, yet your'e surprised that it gets hot? My M61 219s get quite warm in Surefire 6P or MD2 bodies, which have a lot more surface area than an MDC.

An outstanding benefit of the MDC, as you mentioned in the first sentence of your second paragraph, is the small size that makes it disappear in a pocket. It's considerably smaller in diameter and length than a Surefire 3P with Z44 head, so that's hardly an appropriate comparison.

jhp762

Newly Enlightened
Unnessary long quote removed......Bill

Thanks for taking the time to answer some things I was unaware of, like the boot for instance. Really good to know! I will definitely try that out.

A couple of points of my own. 1) I doubt that I will be trying another one out-of-pocket, unless they exchange the one I received. 2) I was not surprised that it gets warm, I was surprised at how warm it got... What I would no longer call "warm" and instead would call "really, really hot." 3) I don't recall comparing the light to a surefire at any point...

I know people like what they like. I'm a surefire fan-boy for bodies when a $20 solarforce works just as well. I get it. But I also know what I like. I am not here to poopoo anybody's pet flashlight, I am just giving an objective first time malkoff buyer's perspective on a $110 flashlight.

Last edited by a moderator:

timbo114

Enlightened
Placed my order with IS on Apr 04/15/15 @ 2:46 PM EST
Got my 219 MDC from California 10 minutes ago ... 44 hours from ordering to in hand.

Now THIS is unreal fast delivery!

IS you rock! as does this 219 machine.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Yes, IS has really fast delivery and I'm on the other coast. Really a tippity-top dealer. Treats customers like members of the same club. Carries great stuff too. If I hadn't just purchased the 1.45 amp neutral model from Gene I would have been all over the model I.S. carries. He has some nice neutral HDS too!

timbo114

Enlightened
P1010054_zpsgiepvs9l.jpg

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
MDC TAC HA - HI-MED-LOW ...... inbound!

Super stoked, had no idea the MDC line up has taken such large strides since they were first introduced.

Im looking for clip alternatives or even lanyard ideas....anything fresh out there? Need FLAT tail standing.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Super stoked, had no idea the MDC line up has taken such large strides since they were first introduced.

Im looking for clip alternatives or even lanyard ideas....anything fresh out there? Need FLAT tail standing.
I saw a picture once of an MDC with a McGizmo Haiku clip but I think it necessitated drilling and tapping a new hole in the tail.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw a picture once of an MDC with a McGizmo Haiku clip but I think it necessitated drilling and tapping a new hole in the tail.

Yup Yup, saw that as well, don't want to drill. Also I believe there is a copy of that clip out there. Don't buy it if it's not from Micgizmo everyone.....bad mojo.

All that aside very nice looking clip, thank you for the recommendation.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast

My new 2aa MDC has a different clip than the original and tail stands with no issues,my power was out this week and it came in very handy.

Its smaller brother tail stands too but has to do it on the edge of a flat surface only!

Maybe the standard MDC will start having the new clip too?
It would be worth making sure of before getting one to me.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if the clips are interchangeable? Or if the clips will be available for sale separately?
I cant picture how they could be.
The original attaches with 2 horizontal screws but the new style has 2 vertical screws.