New Malkoff MDC in the works.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
is the runtime affected with the primaries?

Are you referring to the XP-L head, or the XP-G2 head. The info regarding run times are different for the two. Have you read through the product information pages?

Last edited:

Lantern32

Enlightened
Are you referring to the XP-L head, or the XP-G2 head. The info regarding run times are different for the two. Have you read through the product information pages?

It's the XPL head. XPG2 head throws a lot farther.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I have a question. Don't want to bother Gene with it. Folks have been pleased that the MDC is a great battery vampire for primaries running them dry to get the last bit of light. In the past I have heard that this is a bad thing because as voltage drops more and more current is pulled until amp draw is too high for battery resulting in vent. Why does this not happen in MDC?

Lantern32

Enlightened
I have a question. Don't want to bother Gene with it. Folks have been pleased that the MDC is a great battery vampire for primaries running them dry to get the last bit of light. In the past I have heard that this is a bad thing because as voltage drops more and more current is pulled until amp draw is too high for battery resulting in vent. Why does this not happen in MDC?

The MDC lights don't appear to be pushed as hard as other lights. For example:

The single primary MDC is running at 250 lumens, and that is plenty fine for a primary.

The 2 primary MDC runs on 2 primaries at 450 lumens; however, the turbo runtime is roughly 15 minutes. There are other better battery options available for this light (posted on the website).

I am building my light, and I'm going to use a RCR123 from AW (protected)

To directly answer your question- I believe that the reason this doesn't happen is because the lights are regulated. Well... regulated until the battery is at a safe voltage for direct drive. This protects the battery and the LED. I am no expert, but I thought I would try to chip in.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MDC lights don't appear to be pushed as hard as other lights.

Thats one part of that adds to Malkoff's high reliability rating. They are just simply unbelievably reliable, Im surprised the one's that have a problem aren't a collectors item. If you ever needed warranty it's also top notch, but you very likely won't.

Lantern32

Enlightened
I want a 600 lumen MDC with heat fins, potted head, compact, runs on 1 18650! That would be my dream light :D

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried searching but couldn't find the answer I was looking for. I'm wondering what color temperature the 1 AA MDC and if the pwm is still noticeable?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried searching but couldn't find the answer I was looking for. I'm wondering what color temperature the 1 AA MDC and if the pwm is still noticeable?

I have 2 and they have different tints. Don't really know my K, but they are on the warm side of CW - both are very pleasant though, definitely among the best CWs I own. The PWM is quite noticeable in reflections for me, but I am sensitive to it.