ReyLight Pineapple Proto Review

nvanlaar

Newly Enlightened
To be fair, ReyLight basically is a "modder", except he does it in volume using factory production instead of by hand. He's just one guy who uses the community to help design his lights and then uses a Chinese factory for production. The result is usually very very good, because its basically an enthusiasts' light built using some of the latest innovations and ideas from the hobbyist community, but then produced at a China-price. And the results usually speak for themselves. ReyLights tend to be awesome and very fairly priced.
I just got this light from Massdrop. It is a great light, but unfortunately my tail switch seems to be wonky. It is very unreliable. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. When I do get it to turn on, changing modes is a little crazy since a partial push might change modes or the light might just go out. I took it apart and sprayed electronics contact cleaner into the switch which seemed to help, but not completely alleviate the problem. Where can I get a replacement tail switch? (Massdrop does not have any extras to swap me a unit, they will only give me a refund.)
Thanks for any help!

redvalkyrie

Enlightened
I got mine from Massdrop as well and I am quite pleased. The button is a little loose but so have been previous Chinese made lights like Thrunite and Lumintop. I will say this brass version is HEAVY for a AA light. And that's both good and bad.

Now I just need a cool little tritium vial for the switch.

T45

Enlightened
Tim Milkos over on the Flashlight Fanatics page on Facebook is doing some custom work adding a clip. Here are some pics:

17190638_10208777539181175_2933056554334583447_n.jpg

17190554_10208777539581185_7344532983849917647_n.jpg

Last edited:

T45

Enlightened
Color me weird, but I want a TALLER button. Bought the Foursevens Copper Preon and I love that thing! But it is a AAA. This Pineapple light is AA, which I like a great deal, but the button is just to short for what I like in a light. A fan of tail standing lights with a button I am NOT.

gunga

Flashaholic
Hmmm. Nice job on the clip. I find that clip a bit short but like the idea.

As for a taller button, nope, not an unusual idea. However, in my opinion, it would be better if it was a forward clicky in that case (like the new preon).

jlemond

Newly Enlightened
Fyi... I just stumbled across this thread and bought one. They are $36 and change right now and the coupon code takes off $5. Shipping was free. Bot sure if it usually is free or the coupon brought it down.

BazzH

Newly Enlightened
I do think this is a very good deal. Love the light, Rey sent me a free "better" reflector for it, which makes the beam perfect. And do remember you're paying a budget amount for a custom torch!

Now just waiting eagerly on TiLan