ReyLight Ti Lan Proto Review

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Thanks for the review Gunga! I like the looks of this one better than the brass Pineapple, and I'd presume that Ti will keep the weight in check. Speaking of which, would you mind weighing your prototype?

My only reservation is that PWM... I realize with the high frequency that it's more of an emotional reaction than a practical concern. Nevertheless, I don't understand what PWM contributes to Med/High modes, so it bugs me in theory ;)

Pretty much everything else about it matches my preferences. Then machining looks brilliant in the pics.

ktsl

Newly Enlightened
What's the difference between Nichia 219B and C? Efficiency?

gunga

Flashaholic
Hey there. I don't have a scale but will attempt to get one to check the weight.

This pwm is very difficult to notice in use. I think I only notice it when I try shaking the light to detect it. I've never noticed in use.

I don't know the circuit enough to determine why it is used for the max mode. I'm glad it's not in the moonlight mode.

219C is a newer generation of LED. The main advantage vs 219B is efficiency (not sure I'm using the correct term). It produces more output at a given current and usually has a lower forward voltage (easier to drive). Do note that generally 219B can lean to more rosy tints vs 219C but this is very unpredictable. I'm generalizing on the tint tendencies.

ktsl

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for explaining!
Maybe pwm is used on max for thermal control?

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't say why the light would use PWM on its highest mode. That should be easy to set in the circuit itself and then use PWM to "dim" it appropriately for the lower levels. So I agree that's a strange design choice. But I can say why PWM is used in lights in general, emotions aside -- its for tint control. Almost all LEDs have some tint shift at different currents. They're tested and binned at a given current (usually 700mA or 1050mA) and any more or less current will cause them to shift some. If you've ever had a light that was greenish on its low levels, but then nice and white on high, it was a pure current controlled light with no PWM. By using PWM the driver can feed the emitter the current it needs to meet its specs but still be dim enough to be useful as a low mode. So yes, while lots of folks have emotional (and sometimes physical) reactions to PWM, it does have a real use in flashlights.

gunga

Flashaholic
I'll try asking Rey after the holidays about pwm on the high mode. Too true about the tint consistency. When the pwm is high enough frequency, I don't notice it and I don't mind it.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
Very nice, thanks mike. I just recieved the pineapple and was very impressed for the money. Love the optional trit slots on this one... My only but strong criticisms of the pineapple are with the clip: Very thin/flimsy. Plus the tiny lanyard attachment point is uncomfprtable if not using it. It feels "pokey" in the palm. Looks like i would have the same issue with the Lan... Otherwise a solid winner.

gunga

Flashaholic
Hey thanks. Yep, love the trit slots. Still waiting for mine.

I'm going to remove the lanyard loop on mine. Clip is strong enough but is kinda small.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where did you get your trits from? And are they blue or ice blue?

You didn't ask me, but I've bought lots of trits from mixglo.com and always had a great experience. Maybe Gunga has a different lead for you to check out, but give mixglo a look too.

gunga

Flashaholic
Here's a lousy pic of the Ti Lan and pineapple with lanyard loops removed. I'll update the main review once I get my trits.

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1485830411.218550.jpg

Derek_Omega

Newly Enlightened
Hi Fellas,

First time poster here, longtime flashlight enthousiast though.
Firstly, thank you for the detailed review Gunga! I am pretty excited about tis light, this will also be my first trit light.

As far as I can discern one of the only few improvements on the current proto is the clip. If Rey reads this after his vacation, would there be any possibility at all of beefing up the clip? I for one would be happy to pay a couple bucks extra for a sturdier clip.

Again, thanks for bringing this light to my attention

Mrty

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for that great review and tease. I look forward to the opportunity to buy one. One question , are all 10 trits size 1.5 x 6mm . Might as well get the tritium bought while waiting . Thanks Again