• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

SC600vn - Best 18650 Light Ever

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just read this thread and I am hoping vinh could do something with this. Would be interesting.:)

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would the light with hat LED just be a wall of light?

You say that like it's a bad thing!

Yeah, it would be very floody, no doubt. But not as floody as a mule, certainly--even though the emitter is big, it is still inside of a decent reflector.

So there would still be a hot-spot, though a big one, and there'd still be a noticeable reduction of light down to a wide corona of maybe 90 or 100 degrees. Not the near-180 spread you get from mules.

I too would be very interested in this configuration, esp. if it could put out 1800-2000 lumens on H1 and keep it there for a few minutes.

rejsr

Newly Enlightened
See my post #7 in this thread and Vinh's answer #8 regarding XHP50 or XHP70. :-(

markr6

Flashaholic
See my post #7 in this thread and Vinh's answer #8 regarding XHP50 or XHP70. :-(

Oh yeah. OK an XHP35 would be fine. Or ANYTHING with a nice 5000K high CRI.

Come on Vinh...put my complaining about Zebralight tints to bed once and for all!!

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

I saw that post but, ZL is releasing a version of the SC600 MKIII with a XHP50 so it must be possible(anything is possible with the right modifications). Maybe it is just not a drop in. The reflector would probably have to be modified I'm guessing. A patient hand or anyone with access to a metal lathe or milling machine could do that with ease. Maybe Vinh can comment on what would be required or why he said a XHP50/70 wouldnt fit?

texas cop

Enlightened
For my personal preference, the highest binned XHP-35 HD at around 5000-5700K. This a very small and even practical light. It's a night time EDC, some throw, some flood great for lighting up your little area. After Vinh cracked one open I could see truly how water proof and thought out it is. I've got five Vinh lights so far, so I'm pretty sure if Vinh mods it you'll love it.

Saul Good

Enlightened
Besides the reflector issue, this particular ZL has the LED, E. switch, and driver all integrated onto one MCPCB. The xhp50 and xhp70 each have completely different footprints (same as xml and MKR, respectively) from the xhp35 which has an XP footprint (much smaller). Even if one somehow made an adapter to set the LED on the XP footprint, it very well may not physically fit on the board, and would have a much smaller direct thermal path than if it were set on the correct board. If ZL is releasing an XHP-50 version, then they are completely redesigning the board/driver. I'm not trying to be a buzz kill. I would love to see it done too. But I suspect this may not be an option for these reasons.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Besides the reflector issue, this particular ZL has the LED, E. switch, and driver all integrated onto one MCPCB. The xhp50 and xhp70 each have completely different footprints (same as xml and MKR, respectively) from the xhp35 which has an XP footprint (much smaller). Even if one somehow made an adapter to set the LED on the XP footprint, it very well may not physically fit on the board, and would have a much smaller direct thermal path than if it were set on the correct board. If ZL is releasing an XHP-50 version, then they are completely redesigning the board/driver. I'm not trying to be a buzz kill. I would love to see it done too. But I suspect this may not be an option for these reasons.

Good point. Maybe he could ditch the stock driver and use a DriverVN2. Really, I just want a version of this light with an emitter with 90-95+ CRI, very close to the black body radiation line, 4000-5000K, and an output of around 1000 lumens on high. With a regular lens and smooth reflector(orange peal would be OK too though) would be nice too:D

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good point. Maybe he could ditch the stock driver and use a DriverVN2. Really, I just want a version of this light with an emitter with 90-95+ CRI, very close to the black body radiation line, 4000-5000K, and an output of around 1000 lumens on high. With a regular lens and smooth reflector(orange peal would be OK too though) would be nice too:D

Maybe Vinh should wait until the SC600 Fd becomes available (if it ever does). That one will supposedly use a high-CRI XHP50 LED. With the larger emitter dies there would presumably be more room for Vinh to resistor mod it to increase peak output (think 1800+ lumens high-CRI).

He could also replace the frosted lens with a clear one for those who want more throw and don't mind an oddly shaped beam pattern.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why is there a HiCRI XHP-50 but no HI CRI XHP-35?

My guess is availability. Probably more demand for XHP50 due to their higher output than XHP35. More demand means CREE probably has more supply.

Sourcing sufficient quantities of high-CRI LEDs is the challenge for Zebralight.

recDNA

Flashaholic
It's too bad. The 50 is ridiculously large for a little light.

scintillator

Enlightened
Thought I would give this thread a boost so it doesn`t fall off the map.
Zebralight must be slow at getting Cree XHP35 Cool White (Nominal CCT 5700K) led`s.
I am happy with what I have got hope these start shipping before they become obsolete??

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Vinh, could you please re-post the disassembly pics from this thread with a different hosting site(imgur) so we can see them again? I would really appreciate it, thanks:thumbsup:.

Agpp

Enlightened
There is a similar for firefox. Does not work with my browser, probably conflicting with another addon...