SHOT Show 2012: Surefire 'New Products'

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire LX2 lumamax

I have 2 Quarks with their "neutral" tints, and they are pretty good. The beam tint is very consistant. No shades of purple. It does tend ever so slightly to yellowish/green, but remains to my eyes more neutral, so I'm happy with it.

My SC600 does have a more yellow/green hotspot with a purple spill, unless it's on turbo 750 lumen setting. I also have 2 thrunites. One warm and the other cool. Both have very consistant tints. I guess you really just have pick particular bins with the xml's.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast

Some hypothesis and physics again:
LED with CCT above warm, will have very very less spectrum in red
While maxing in blue spectrum(450nm)
2nd peak @ 550nm(green)
and the brightness decrease if wavelength increase
so tint change is quite normal at dim light just because red has a very low amount, and become more obvious if lumen decrease

MrBenchmark

Enlightened

It will be interesting to see how this looks, and more importantly, how well it works. In principle, your eyes are most sensitive to green light - a LOT more sensitive than to red, for instance. So while this may look terrible, it may actually be quite effective. (At least provided the color isn't so jacked up that you can't tell what anything is at a distance anyway...) That said, I don't much like green tinted lights either. Guess we'll see...

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast

The problem is that as far as I know the sensitivity of our eyes to light is somehow already taken account of when they measure lumens (I could be wrong about this), at least to the extent that wavelengths not within the visible spectrum are not taken into account during lumen measurement. This is why pure Blue LEDs are rated much lower efficiency lm/W than white ones even though technically applying the phosphor to the LED makes the overall conversion less efficient, that is my current understanding of the rating system anyway and is perhaps why you see so many green-ish tints in top bin LEDs.

This would mean that 500 yellow-ish green lumens are the same as 500 more pure white lumens for helping provide feedback to the eye, which makes Surefire's claim of the wavelength being one the eye is more sensitive to somewhat irrelevant given they provide the lumen rating anyway.

Again, I'm not completely sure on this and no expert on the technicalities of lumen measurement so I could be mistaken at least partially.

Raze

Enlightened

IMHO, white-wall hunters will enjoy pristine daylight-white high Kelvin light but if the light with that off-white tint is used as it was designed - as illumination tools - then using it outdoors shouldn't be a problem.

I've no qualms with the tint on my SF E2DL, but its off-centered emitter is what bugs me. I admit that it did not interfere with the performance and throw of the light, it's just the perfectionist in me that's having no peace

YMWV

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast

Anyone know if the new LX2 will be the same size as the 200 lumen model?
I found a used LX2 in a local ad and scooped it up, it's a great light. I like how slim it is compared to the 6P and C2 models

Glock 22

Enlightened
Just got off the phone with Tactical Leds, and I'm second in line for the new EB1. Right now they are just taking phone preorders, and one of the main salesman told me March or early April. John Moyer is who I talked to.

Last edited:

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
Just got off the phone with Tactical Leds, and I'm second in line for the new EB1. Right now they are just taking phone preorders, and one of the main salesman told me March or early April. John Moyer is who I talked to.

Very cool. I wonder when they will release the updated LX2?

Glock 22

Enlightened
Very cool. I wonder when they will release the updated LX2?
I'm wondering the same thing, the LX2 is another one I've gotta have. Hopefuly soon! I know of three different websites with it on there site as coming soon.

Last edited:

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
I'm wondering the same thing, the LX2 is another one I've gotta have. Hopefuly soon! I know of three different websites with it on there site as coming soon.

I have a P2X Fury on backorder. I hope they don't release the LX2 500 the day after I receive the P2X. (I know, I know, buy them both...)

jac2001

Newly Enlightened
Spoke with Greg @ Surefire on Monday night about another issue, but I asked about estimated delivery date of the LX2U.
He said it would most likely be around end of 2nd Quarter or beginning of 3rd Quarter. No details yet on prices though!

Anybody need a kidney?!
:nana:

J.

FPSRelic

Enlightened
Not sure if this has been asked yet, but does anyone know if the batteries in the rechargeable invictus are replaceable? Or are they built into the light?

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast

This light is being advertised as 500 lumen's of yellow green light. Surefire thinks this is a good thing. Am I the only one that feels sickley yellow green light makes them feel like they are in a science fiction movie like Alien?

While my E1B, E1L (two) and E2L-AA have awesome "light vanilla" tints, and my G2X have a slightly cool tint, my L1 has a terrible green tint. I hate it.

I got my eye in LX2 U, but I would never get one due to it´s green tint. :sick2:

I don´t consider myself a white wall hunter. I just use my lights in outdoor, but green tints bothers me. I always know they´re there...

Ok, no problem, let´s go to the new EB1! :thumbsup:

Lodogg2221

Newly Enlightened

While my E1B, E1L (two) and E2L-AA have awesome "light vanilla" tints, and my G2X have a slightly cool tint, my L1 has a terrible green tint. I hate it.

I got my eye in LX2 U, but I would never get one due to it´s green tint. :sick2:

I don´t consider myself a white wall hunter. I just use my lights in outdoor, but green tints bothers me. I always know they´re there...

Ok, no problem, let´s go to the new EB1! :thumbsup:

But has anyone confirmed or seen the tint of the LX2 Ultra?
Ill wait to reserve judgment, just because Im not as knowledgeable about tint from Surefires description. Ive not seen one like it, so I wont know if it will bother me or not...if it renders colors better, I cant see how it would be a bad thing.
I guess the other thing is, the new LX2 has 50 more lumens...so theres another option!

Geez. Im really gonna be broke this year....

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks like the first of SureFire's 2012 products to be out the door will be the rechargeable batteries...

SureFire is waiting on packaging for the kit, and then it will be available from the website. I got an unpackaged kit for review (still waiting on the P2X to use these in...the Fury is out of stock at the moment, waiting on reflectors), and the batteries are made by K2 Energy and are 600mAh. No mention of where these are manufactured though...​

Last edited:

SoCalDep

Newly Enlightened

Re: The green tint. I don't know what it's going to look like with the LX2U, because I was focusing (slaps self) on the weapon-lights. The X300 Ultra (500 lumens, greenish tint) pissed me off at SHOT...I didn't like the green tint at all. In testing at our range though (in the dark...go figure) it was love! Color rendition seems better (to me) than many of the cool lights, and the greenish tint doesn't bug me...Maybe I'm just getting used to it. Even recovery of vision in a white-walled shoot house didn't seem (from my perspective) any longer with the X300 Ultra compared to my G2X Tactical or a regular X300.

I REALLY want to look closer at an R1 Lawman (looked at it for a few minutes, then read about it in the brochure after we went by the booth, but I never had a chance to go back and really look closely at it) and I'm itching for an EB1!