SHOT Show 2012: Surefire 'New Products'

dmz

Enlightened
SureFire DM2 Defender 500 Lumen Programmable Flashlight

SureFire DM2 Defender 500 Lumen Programmable Flashlight:

1. Will the TIR make it only a thrower with little side spill?
2. What is meant by "Programmable Flashlight"? I prefer 15 lm to come on first, then 500 lm. Can it be reprogrammed for 15 lm first.
3. What do you think the price will be?

http://www.ondutygear.com/images/products/surefire/detail/SF-DM2-DEFENDER.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

af112566

Newly Enlightened
Re: SureFire DM2 Defender 500 Lumen Programmable Flashlight

i like this one!! hope it is the 15l first,then the 500!!

dmz

Enlightened

Is it the same emitter as the Fury?
Any one care to speculate on the price?

Retinator

Enlightened

Given Surefire's track record of 'fantasy lights', it's hard to guarantee it's actual production. It's a seemingly small step from the Fury in design so it should come out sometime. Then again the LX1 was a similar to the LX2 and I don't think we'll ever see it.

From what I gather in the catalogue, I found their details to be quite vague on the programming. IMO programming is like M@g's focusing - very overrated to the usefulness of the light.

TIR will concentrate light in a very tight beam, with little spill. Of course there can be various degrees of tightening so who knows.

Price - I'd guess that the ability to program it will boost the price from the Fury's current $ 155 to close to $ 300.
Time will tell if/when it's released.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

Being a "defender", it will most likely come on high first, ala E1B, E2DL...so when you pull it, it's ready for a tactical situation. If you want a 15lm low on first, check out there outdoorsmans models. Or get the new LX2 that's coming out.

dmz

Enlightened

Any one care to speculate on the programming?

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened

New LX2? I just want a damn glass lens for my $150.

dmz

Enlightened

2012_SureFire_catalog_1.jpg

2012_SureFire_catalog_2.jpg

2012_SureFire_catalog_3.jpg

thedofuss

Newly Enlightened

Go to www.surefire.com, and see that the only 500 lumen light they currently sell is the Fury, P2X. It sells for $155, but sounds too good to be true, given Surefire pricing histiry. Does anybody have this light, who can comment on it? Note: They also have some 800-900 lumen lights, much larger, that sell for $400+, hence my comment.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast

Why? Something wrong with the one in there?

Glass isnt always better....or necessary.

Apple to orange comparison
Hardness(Scratch resistance) vs Strength(Cracking)
Aesthetic issue too, scratches arent pretty

brianna

Enlightened

Glass is better. I have never broken a glass lens before. But I have scratched every single plastic lens I ever owned. Glass is better optically as well, also better light transmission.

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
I think it is a matter of personal preference when it comes to glass vs plastic. You can make a strong argument for either. For me, I find I'm more likely to scratch a plastic lens than shatter a glass one. Therefore, I prefer glass. Others may prefer plastic.

KROMATICS

Enlightened

Glass is better. I have never broken a glass lens before. But I have scratched every single plastic lens I ever owned. Glass is better optically as well, also better light transmission.

Same here. All my lights with plastic lenses are badly scratched and look terrible. Never cracked or shattered a glass lens.

jonesy

Enlightened

I have a question about the different UI's available on the new EB1. Their catalog says that it has "a tactically advantageous push-for-momentary-on/twist-for-constant-on tailcap model or a convenient click-on/off tailcap."

How will this work with the momentary/twist tactical option? Will it change from 200 lumens to 5 lumens every time I tap the tailcap while in momentary only mode? I was hoping for an LX2 interface, but I'm not sure if this one is the same.

Size15's

Flashaholic

SureFire is proposing some of these models will be offered with either a "C" clickie TailCap for dual-output selection, or a "T" Two-stage aka 'Tactical' push button pressure switch.
For example I'm led to believe either LX2UC or LX2UT.

bkumanski

Enlightened

I like the "plastic" lenses for working lights. I "" plastic because obviously *fire lights wont use the same type of material as say Streamlight. The type of plastic is important and many are very scratch resistant (most of my Streamlights have held up well through the years) and low quality glass easily shatters. Heck, they even use an advanced plastic on some fighter jet canopies, so I really can't agree with glass always being better. It all depends on expected use (I know a good mineral glass lens will transmit more light for whitewall hunters) and quality of the material (never could break or scratch a stinger lens with duty use).