Surefire Fury 2018 dual fuel 18650/Cr123

mikespike2

Newly Enlightened
I received mine from B&H Friday and here's my report so far. The DFT Tactical in the package is the one on the right in the picture with the notched bezel, they are relieved and smooth like a slotted screwdriver and do not snag on clothing. Surefire CR123's are included, you will need to supply your own 18650. I already have SF18650s 2600+3400mah on hand. mine has a tactical clicky, which I like. it has enough travel that you can use it easily as a momentary switch without clicking it on. No problem there atleast for me as its just like my Peacekeepers.

As for brightness this is a beast, portable night-sun bright with a extremely noticeable difference from the peacekeepers in power, tint is sight purple with a nice hotspot and smooth transition to the spill. reflector is smoother than my Lawman and peacekeepers. Purple tint AR refective glass also like the Lawman-Fury P3Xs. Knurling is very grippy much better than the peacekeeper (my only real complaint about them).

Now for the manufacturing problem I encountered, when I tried to put an 18650 in mine it wouldn't fit, cr123s fit fine but not the 18650. First I thought I ordered the wrong light or was sent the wrong one but upon closer inspection of the tail end I noticed the thread protection/negative contact collar was pressed in cockeyed so that one edge instead of sliding fully down it was hung up on the inside of the battery tube and made the middle of the collar compress like a Ferrule/rivet and would not let the 18650 battery pass by. I fixed it easily enough with a tapered impact socket that fit in and gently tapped it down in place, problem solved. If Surefire used a 18650 sized Go-NoGo gauge that would have been spotted in a second. Since the cr123s slid right in no one noticed. This could happed on any light but I wanted to get it out there to give members a heads up.

I really do like this light and its a nice upgrade from the 600 lumen models

It would also be nice if SF started an upgrade program for The Peacekeepers/fury models. Maybe make the upgrade head 1200 lumens only so it wouldn't hurt Fury sales. We can always Hope

Thanks for the detailed info. I will be interested in the light when they release a dual output version. I like your comparison to the Peacekeeper as that is currently my favorite Surefire light. Glad to see a few more 18650 lights coming from them.

Bogie

Enlightened
Thinking of picking one up to replace my current Fury defender W/Fivemega 18650 body. Does anyone make a good holster for this ? And why couldn't SF match the OD of the tail cap & body.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think i found the problem...After receiving another tailcap and conducting several battery changes, I noticed that the retaining ring that holds the actual switch inside the tailcap becomes loose. Loose enough that the center ring and spring on the switch can connect the metal retaining ring which creates a short in the light's "Circuit", thus overheating the switch and causing its failure.

troller_cpf

Enlightened
Hello all!
I received my Fury DFT this week and I have been doing a lot of testing and comparison with my Peacekeeper.

I think either there is something weird on my sample or Surefire didn't give correct specifications.

I tried the Fury DFT with both CR123s and with a 18650 (Keeppower 18650 3500 MAh protected model - so plenty juice for the fury), and in both cases I found that after just 75 seconds of operation the light output (lux readng) dropped to approx 50%!
This has happened every time I did the test with the lux-meter.
Turning off and on again the light resulted in output going back up to full power and then again, after 75 seconds, down to 50%...

The tests have been conducted at night, with a temperature of about 10-30°F (close to 0°C for the europeans), so I don't think there was any overheating. And the same behavior appeared with 123 batteries and the 18650. The drop in output was also confirmed by visual images --> i took underexposed images at start up and after 80 seconds and I could clearly see less light.

I then compared the Lux readings with my Peacekeeper and indeed, the Peacekeeper was giving Lux reading very similar (20% less approx.) to the Fury DFT after this drop-down.

So, in this condition I really see no benefit in keeping the Fury DFT...

I contacted Surefire via email but no reply yet.

A final very weird thing: when running the 18650 I recorded a constant draw of 2.4 - 2.5 Amps with my multimeter. This remained constant for at least 5 minutes! This is really weird... But the power at the first minute is there, the lux readings for the very first minute or less is indeed double than the Peacekeeper, so I believe that there are really 1200/1500 lumens at the beginning, but then it drops down pretty much immediately.

Did anyone else experience this drop-down after the first minute or so?

Thank you all!!

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all!
I received my Fury DFT this week and I have been doing a lot of testing and comparison with my Peacekeeper.

I think either there is something weird on my sample or Surefire didn't give correct specifications.

I tried the Fury DFT with both CR123s and with a 18650 (Keeppower 18650 3500 MAh protected model - so plenty juice for the fury), and in both cases I found that after just 75 seconds of operation the light output (lux readng) dropped to approx 50%!
This has happened every time I did the test with the lux-meter.
Turning off and on again the light resulted in output going back up to full power and then again, after 75 seconds, down to 50%...

The tests have been conducted at night, with a temperature of about 10-30°F (close to 0°C for the europeans), so I don't think there was any overheating. And the same behavior appeared with 123 batteries and the 18650. The drop in output was also confirmed by visual images --> i took underexposed images at start up and after 80 seconds and I could clearly see less light.

I then compared the Lux readings with my Peacekeeper and indeed, the Peacekeeper was giving Lux reading very similar (20% less approx.) to the Fury DFT after this drop-down.

So, in this condition I really see no benefit in keeping the Fury DFT...

I contacted Surefire via email but no reply yet.

A final very weird thing: when running the 18650 I recorded a constant draw of 2.4 - 2.5 Amps with my multimeter. This remained constant for at least 5 minutes! This is really weird... But the power at the first minute is there, the lux readings for the very first minute or less is indeed double than the Peacekeeper, so I believe that there are really 1200/1500 lumens at the beginning, but then it drops down pretty much immediately.

Did anyone else experience this drop-down after the first minute or so?

Thank you all!!

It's a thermal step down man and it sounds like in this case it is a timed step down. It's normal and nothing to worry about. Sustaining 1500 lumens in a light this size is not possible(both due to heat and cell limitations). Most high output lights have one these days.

Thermal step downs allow a burst of high output for a limited amount of time in a light not capable on sustaining that a output(due to heat and/or cell restrictions). This allows you to have that high output for a short duration when needed(the majority of flashlight use is often only for short durations) but, the light will step down to a level that can be sustained when needed(in 75 seconds in this case). Manufacturers set these perimeters based on testing to keep you safe.

The bottom line is... If you want sustained 1500, you need a much larger light(larger heatsink) that runs on 4 x 18650+ imo.

troller_cpf

Enlightened
So nothing would change if I would use the SF branded 18650A or a "IMR" high discharge battery?
Thanks!

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
So nothing would change if I would use the SF branded 18650A or a "IMR" high discharge battery?
Thanks!
I doubt it unless the cell you are currently using is low quality, counterfeit, or worn out. No matter what it will always step down. A light of that size running on a single cell cannot sustain 1500 lumens with current technology.

Now, that's not to say you won't get better performance if you're currently using an inadequate cell. If you want to fully rule the cell out then I suggest you order a Sony/Murata VTC6 from a trusted dealer like Illumn. That cell can handle far more amps then your DFT can ever pull.

chris4prez

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up the SF FURY IB DF and it makes an interesting hissing noise when the cap is clicked on, as well as, when I depress the cap it makes a louder hiss noise. I noticed cap issues mentioned in this thread but no one mentioning this. Wondering if this is normal due to the regulation of the IB or another issue.... Cap is tight, + is correct direction, using provided 18650 fully charged.

I have many SF lights and this is a first for me...

Jose Marin

Enlightened
Try jumping the negative of the battery to the tail threads with a peice of wire or paper clip. Does it still make the noise?

Qship1996

Enlightened
I just picked up the SF FURY IB DF and it makes an interesting hissing noise when the cap is clicked on, as well as, when I depress the cap it makes a louder hiss noise. I noticed cap issues mentioned in this thread but no one mentioning this. Wondering if this is normal due to the regulation of the IB or another issue.... Cap is tight, + is correct direction, using provided 18650 fully charged.

I have many SF lights and this is a first for me...
After waiting month after month to purchase this light,and calling Surefire multiple times to hear over and over the bugs had not been solved,delaying release over and over- I finally gave up and purchased the standard Fury.I did not want to be the guinnepig risking buying upon release of the intellibeam after all those delays and issues.

Last edited:

Firehawk1227

Newly Enlightened
After waiting month after month to purchase this light,and calling Surefire multiple times to hear over and over the bugs had not been solved,delaying release over and over- I finally gave up and purchased the standard Fury.I did not want to be the guinnepig risking buying upon release of the intellibeam after all those delays and issues.

Light finally came in since I placed my order 6+ months ago. Not sure if I can post websites on this forum but feel free to PM me or do a quick google search. My first light had a manufacturing defect where the probe inside the light had a small piece of plastic dangling - it has been replaced and everything is working great.

kj2

Flashaholic
My Fury IB just came in the mail. Ordered it in Germany, and the expected arrive date is/was mid-April. Bit shocked, it arrived today :p

Mark2

Enlightened
My new (second) Fury DF just died after a couple of days. Has never been turned on for more than 10-20 seconds. When turned on, it goes to full output (as expected) and then immediately dims to a very low level. Batteries or tailcap are not the problem. Oh well ... :(

I think the E2D (500lm/600lm version) is the most recent Surefire model I never had an issue with.

Distorted Vision

Newly Enlightened
Looking to buy spare 18650 batteries for Surefire Fury Dual Fuel Intellibeam. I was wondering if KeepPower 3500mAh are suitable?

Last edited:

akula88

Enlightened
I just received mine today. The light body and tailcap are a larger diameter then my P2X Fury and my Peacekeeper. The Fury DFT will not fit in the V70 holster. I assumed it was going to be the same size even with the 18650 as my Peacekeeper fits fine. Anyone have a suggestion on a holster that might fit? I'm looking for something similar to the V70 for a 2 inch duty belt.

Are there some physical indicators / differences on the tailcaps of the Fury DFT vs P2X/P1R? How do you distinguish them offhand without fitting to certain bodies? Any photos?

So now SF has expanded the tailcap logistics and compatibility matrix further :(