Surefire Fury 2018 dual fuel 18650/Cr123

JonathanLarson

Newly Enlightened
I'm personally looking forward to the Fury DF IB. I had an R1 Intellibeam and really enjoyed the IB feature. The light was just a little too big, but a Fury with IB designed specifically to use an 18650 sounds nice.

The mistake I think people make is they assume they'll have a "low" mode. Really, it's more like a single mode "high" only light that dims slightly to not overwhelm the user with back splash. The light still looks bright more times than not. Otherwise, double tap and lock in the actual high mode to avoid dimming. It's very convenient!

And that's exactly what I don't want. When I use my Fury 15/600, I use the low output far more than high and it's almost always adequate unless I really need to jump out there. And in that case, the brighter the better.

I would think that there would be more of a market for a dual-output Fury 15/1500 without the IB and hopefully they realize that.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody else thinks 15/1500 has really gone into ridiculous mode spacing here?
50 lumens or so for "low" would be so much more useful as a general mode when you don't need 1500, and the big 3500 mAh batteries will last quite well running an efficient LED at 50 lumens.
Just my opinion, as I find 15 lumens on my G2X quite adequate but sometimes wish for more without going full blast.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course, no one would listen to me, but... 15/150/1500 lm could be just perfect :p

Haha well, we each have our own preferences.

I'll be fine with 50/1500 or if with three modes, it will be 15/150/1500 as well.

The three mode mention makes me remember the long gone SF Stratum.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
50 lumens or so for "low" would be so much more useful as a general mode when you don't need 1500, and the big 3500 mAh batteries will last quite well running an efficient LED at 50 lumens.
Just my opinion, as I find 15 lumens on my G2X quite adequate but sometimes wish for more without going full blast.

I used the 15 lumen low mode of the G2x Pro extensively and it is really good on batteries. IMO, 15 lumen is the very minimum that is acceptable.
The thing is, if the lux is higher, it makes it seem like the light is brighter. 15 lumens with a very low lux in the flood mode seems less bright.

But I do understand completely what you are saying. 15 lumen is an emergency mode, 50 lumens is a lot more useful overall.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
These things are awesome! They are still overpriced though. Why does SF NOT give basic information like emitter type or if they are even IPX8? Regardless my DF IB is the scariest wicked bright built like a tank light that does NOT drain even the stoutest cells dry in one hour due to the amazing Intellibeam feature light I have ever had. This thing is SCARY bright wow. Using Orbtronic new 3500mah 10-18amp(pulse)capable IMR button top. The Duel Fuel Fury specific machining around the head of the light is really nice. It is easy to tell the DF Fury's from the others because of it

JonathanLarson

Newly Enlightened

Hey,

I might even take that.. I've owned quite a few Surefire flashlights and although very happy with the quality, never really was happy with useability until I got a Fury dual-output. I think that SF's dual-output flashlights are unbeatable for everyday use.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
the low lumens are not about battery saving, they are about being discreet.

I want the lowest possible usable lumens without the whole world seeing what I have

15 lumens seems to hit the sweet spot all things considering

JonathanLarson

Newly Enlightened
the low lumens are not about battery saving, they are about being discreet.

I want the lowest possible usable lumens without the whole world seeing what I have

15 lumens seems to hit the sweet spot all things considering

Hey,

That's the primary reason that I ditched my older single output Fury. It was just awkwardly bright.. lol

Another reason is it was blinding to use. Whether I was late getting off the trails at the park, or at some outdoors event (4th July), or just taking the dog outside or for a walk.. the thing wasn't useable.

chilitoma

Newly Enlightened
Hello, Experts.
I would like to take your advice. Reacently, my friend bought FURY DFT and he encountered following problem.

-He was operating FURY DFT for 120 sec turned on and 10 min turned off. He did this operation around 40 to 60 cycle using KeepPower18650 LiIon Cell.
-After that, FURY DFT could not be turned off even clicked tail switch off position. (open circuit to turn off light)
-It seemed that tail switch could not be opened in some reason and it kept lighing on.
-To press tail switch around 10 times, FURY DFT could be turned off.
-After turned off, FURY DFT could accept only for momentary on and off. FURY backed to turn on again and could not turned off if fully pressed tail switch.
-He called dealer and replace another FURY DFT, but he encountered same situation.
-He does not have surefire 18650 at this moment.

Is there any suggestion to solve this problem?:mecry:
(In the mean time, I am asking battery cell length to him)

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello, Experts.
I would like to take your advice. Reacently, my friend bought FURY DFT and he encountered following problem.

-He was operating FURY DFT for 120 sec turned on and 10 min turned off. He did this operation around 40 to 60 cycle using KeepPower18650 LiIon Cell.
-After that, FURY DFT could not be turned off even clicked tail switch off position. (open circuit to turn off light)
-It seemed that tail switch could not be opened in some reason and it kept lighing on.
-To press tail switch around 10 times, FURY DFT could be turned off.
-After turned off, FURY DFT could accept only for momentary on and off. FURY backed to turn on again and could not turned off if fully pressed tail switch.
-He called dealer and replace another FURY DFT, but he encountered same situation.
-He does not have surefire 18650 at this moment.

Is there any suggestion to solve this problem?:mecry:
(In the mean time, I am asking battery cell length to him)
Are you aware of the advice from Surefire?

Below is the customer service info mentioned by dano.

Dear Customers of the FURY-DFT and M600DF,

When we launched these products our instructions were not clear regarding which 18650 batteries to use, and for that we sincerely apologize. Some customers who purchased the FURY-DFT and M600DF have experienced their light shutting down just after activation when using a non-SureFire branded 18650. This is because the FURY-DFT and M600DF are ultra-high-o
utput illumination tools that require a minimum 5A discharge rate from the battery to operate as intended. Unfortunately many non-SureFire brand 18650 batteries do not meet this requirement and generic battery manufacturers typically do not provide/state the discharge rates for their 18650 batteries. The SureFire SF18650A battery's protection circuit supports up to a 6A draw and is therefore the recommended battery for these products.
To make things right, for the next 30 days customers who purchased the FURY-DFT will have the opportunity to purchase up to two SureFire SF18650A batteries or the SF18650A-KIT, which includes a battery with charger, at a 40% discount, plus free shipping. Simply email [email protected]om, include the serial number of your light, a telephone number we can reach you at, and your full name and address. We will then contact you within 24 hours to complete your order over the phone and we will get you taken care of.

Link to batteries
https://www.surefire.com/sf18650a.html

Link to battery/charger kit
https://www.surefire.com/18650-battery-charger.html

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
I will be getting one of these, and in the same configuration as my other two Fury lights. Which means press the button and give me 1500 lumens. I know most people want a low and high, or low medium and high mode. I don't.

Quite simply, that could get me killed in my personal/private/professional life.

Surefire, please add a battery magazine like Olight, for when we are not anywhere near a place to recharge our lights. Rattling batteries are not good for several reasons. Sound, and possible connection issues.

Last edited:

chilitoma

Newly Enlightened

Thanks Dave!

I know that FURY DFT need battery which can provide minimum 6A constant discharge. However, KeepPower 18650 3120mAh cell can provide 15A. (I think most of all LiIon cell can provide 2C discharge rate. So, I think over 3000mAh cell seems meet the specs) If discharge rate is not meet FURY DFT specs, FURY DFT would be shutting down instead of constant on. So, I feel that discharge rate is not cause this problem.

BTW, here is cell length which I got from friend.
KP LIO 3120mAh 68.6mm
KP IMR 3500mAh 64.8mm
Surefire 3400mAh 69.5mm

I will keep investigating why this problem happens.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
Have there been any lux or candela ratings published on this light yet? The ratio of lumens/lux can be informative about the beam profile, but I cannot find anything in the specs.

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
Have there been any lux or candela ratings published on this light yet? The ratio of lumens/lux can be informative about the beam profile, but I cannot find anything in the specs.

I have heard it is listed at 23,000 but the owner believes 28,800 . YouTube video "Surefire Fury DFT - Battery Issues / Full Review" by Practical EDC channel. (Sorry no link)

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast

Think I read a few posts back Fury DFT was comparable to Malkoff HD 18650 for lumens/lux but IDK for sure..

lumen007

Newly Enlightened
Below is the customer service info mentioned by dano.

Dear Customers of the FURY-DFT and M600DF,

When we launched these products our instructions were not clear regarding which 18650 batteries to use, and for that we sincerely apologize. Some customers who purchased the FURY-DFT and M600DF have experienced their light shutting down just after activation when using a non-SureFire branded 18650. This is because the FURY-DFT and M600DF are ultra-high-o
utput illumination tools that require a minimum 5A discharge rate from the battery to operate as intended. Unfortunately many non-SureFire brand 18650 batteries do not meet this requirement and generic battery manufacturers typically do not provide/state the discharge rates for their 18650 batteries. The SureFire SF18650A battery's protection circuit supports up to a 6A draw and is therefore the recommended battery for these products.
To make things right, for the next 30 days customers who purchased the FURY-DFT will have the opportunity to purchase up to two SureFire SF18650A batteries or the SF18650A-KIT, which includes a battery with charger, at a 40% discount, plus free shipping. Simply email [email protected]om, include the serial number of your light, a telephone number we can reach you at, and your full name and address. We will then contact you within 24 hours to complete your order over the phone and we will get you taken care of.

Link to batteries
https://www.surefire.com/sf18650a.html

Link to battery/charger kit
https://www.surefire.com/18650-battery-charger.html

Thanks for posting this.

41qser

Newly Enlightened

I had/am having the same issue...

I took advantage of the SF battery offer, but I'm still having the issue... unfortunately I cannot use it as a duty light as it is not reliable. I haven't reached out to SF since I received the new batteries, but when I do I will share their response.

Nimitz68

Enlightened
I had/am having the same issue...

I took advantage of the SF battery offer, but I'm still having the issue... unfortunately I cannot use it as a duty light as it is not reliable. I haven't reached out to SF since I received the new batteries, but when I do I will share their response.
Please do, as Surefire really doesn't have a foot to stand on in this case. Their light, their batteries, their issue. I would think they will make good.